Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Happened to Rap Music?

As this forum is populated by mostly older white people, it is unlikely that a large amount of our members have much familiarity with rap music. Most older people consider rap music totally worthless and unappealing. That said, even these people would probably notice a significant decline in the average quality of rap music over time. As someone who has been listening to rap for around twenty-eight years, this decline has been both obvious and unfortunate because I very much enjoy good rap music.

Now, it's true that as people get older, they tend to view newer things with excessive amounts of skepticism and cynicism. It'd call this the "back in my day" mentality. I've seriously considered the possibility that my reaction to newer rap music is a consequence of this mentality, but I must conclude that I am not suffering from old guy syndrome. Newer rap music is, on average, much, much worse than older rap music. Just as one obvious example, the lyrical complexity of rap songs has declined IMMENSELY. Anyone who has been listening to rap music will have noticed this. Most newer rap songs lack even the most basic sense of coherence or meaning. It's usually just overly repetitious, vacuous references to increasingly arcane terminology and situations. There is really no narrative to speak of, whereas older rap songs generally were about something. Granted, that something was often very simple, like romance or personal success, but most songs are like that (John Lenon often complained that The Beatles wrote too many simplistic love songs, for example), so being simple does not preclude a song from being lyrically complex or substantive.

So the question becomes, what's happening to rap music? Why is it becoming so much dumber? Do you even agree that it's getting dumber, or am I just a grumpy old man shaking his cane at the sky?
    Last edited by Ethereal; 01-03-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RAP music that I am most familiar with was written by artists that struggled through different situations. Whose complaints or dissatisfaction wasn't immediately acknowledged or addressed. RAP was written to highlight struggles. These days the RAP music seems to be more about highlighting material gains rather than the dire straights of a generation.

In other words, millennials are spoiled and entitled so their music doesn't have much substance, imo.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    The RAP music that I am most familiar with was written by artists that struggled through different situations. Whose complaints or dissatisfaction wasn't immediately acknowledged or addressed. RAP was written to highlight struggles. These days the RAP music seems to be more about highlighting material gains rather than the dire straights of a generation.

In other words, millennials are spoiled and entitled so their music doesn't have much substance, imo.
    Well I am a "millennial" and I agree with you that modern rap music is generally very bad. In fact, most millennials I know tend to agree with me, but I'm at the older end of the millennial spectrum. At any rate, it's worth noting that modern rap isn't really a "millennial" thing per se. Lots of millennials do not listen to rap music at all. Rather, it is a specific subset of millennials - the urban demographic - who produce most rap music. And I would agree that this urban demographic is becoming more spoiled and entitled. So the question becomes: Why?
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rap Music
    Opera
    Bag Pipes
    Cat Skinnings.

All the same to me.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-03-2018)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Rap Music
    Opera
    Bag Pipes
    Cat Skinnings.

All the same to me.
    It is belligerent, obnoxious and generally glorifies immoral behavior.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resister For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-03-2018),Cthulhu (01-03-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Well I am a "millennial" and I agree with you that modern rap music is generally very bad. In fact, most millennials I know tend to agree with me, but I'm at the older end of the millennial spectrum. At any rate, it's worth noting that modern rap isn't really a "millennial" thing per se. Lots of millennials do not listen to rap music at all. Rather, it is a specific subset of millennials - the urban demographic - who produce most rap music. And I would agree that this urban demographic is becoming more spoiled and entitled. So the question becomes: Why?
    I thought I kinda touched on why. I believe it's because the struggles aren't perceived as the hardships that previous generations encountered. For example, minority college students demanding safe spaces whereas minority college students 10 years ago would have viewed situations as life experiences to grow from. These days the students feel entitled to protection so they don't have to suffer through what they may feel is an unjustice or an uncomfortable situation.

The music has lost it's soul because the musicians have lost their inspiration.

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,413x in 54,986 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I listened to a lot because my son did. I used to complain the lyrics were stupid. There were some I liked. At this point I can only remember Eminem, who was good but his latest, I hear, is #TDS and a complete flop.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

resister (01-03-2018)

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,413x in 54,986 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Early rap...

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As this forum is populated by mostly older white people, it is unlikely that a large amount of our members have much familiarity with rap music. Most older people consider rap music totally worthless and unappealing. That said, even these people would probably notice a significant decline in the average quality of rap music over time. As someone who has been listening to rap for around twenty-eight years, this decline has been both obvious and unfortunate because I very much enjoy good rap music.

Now, it's true that as people get older, they tend to view newer things with excessive amounts of skepticism and cynicism. It'd call this the "back in my day" mentality. I've seriously considered the possibility that my reaction to newer rap music is a consequence of this mentality, but I must conclude that I am not suffering from old guy syndrome. Newer rap music is, on average, much, much worse than older rap music. Just as one obvious example, the lyrical complexity of rap songs has declined IMMENSELY. Anyone who has been listening to rap music will have noticed this. Most newer rap songs lack even the most basic sense of coherence or meaning. It's usually just overly repetitious, vacuous references to increasingly arcane terminology and situations. There is really no narrative to speak of, whereas older rap songs generally were about something. Granted, that something was often very simple, like romance or personal success, but most songs are like that (John Lenon often complained that The Beatles wrote too many simplistic love songs, for example), so being simple does not preclude a song from being lyrically complex or substantive.

So the question becomes, what's happening to rap music? Why is it becoming so much dumber? Do you even agree that it's getting dumber, or am I just a grumpy old man shaking his cane at the sky?
    It's definitely changed since the days of Curtis Blow, The Fat Boys, etc. Once it morphed into "gangsta" I stopped listening to it, however there is still a market for it.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they make what will sell to 13-15 year olds in the white suburb so they can only be so thug life. Plus, since pass to play went into effect, I am not sure the education prerequisites to write a sentence exist in the skreets these days.

+ Reply to Thread