User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 154

Thread: Making China Great Again

  1. #11
    Points: 7,658, Level: 20
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Trish's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    6530
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,207
    Points
    7,658
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    1,319
    Thanked 1,661x in 1,020 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    I've mentioned this several times and been poohooed.

    China is also stepping up it's foreign aid programs as we cut ours, further undercutting our international influence.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/13/chin...-its-cash.html

    They are also increasing their UN contributions of both money and troops as well as just generally increasing their international presence world wide in an attempt to take over our role as "world police".

    I can't understand why people aren't more concerned about this.
    I worry about the US taking a back seat or no seat on some of these issues as well. It's a difficult balance because I do think we needed to revise our trade agreements but I'm not sure that it's in our benefit to cut ourselves off from the rest of the world.

    Sometimes we have to wait for the impact results of policies to be able to better understand what we did right or wrong.

    When I read this article the funny thing that popped into my head was that series "The Man in the High Castle".
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

    Crepitus (01-05-2018)

  3. #12
    Points: 44,691, Level: 51
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    30139
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9,595
    Points
    44,691
    Level
    51
    Thanks Given
    1,453
    Thanked 3,029x in 2,230 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    LoL, everybody makes mistakes, but that was just egregious.
    Whatever safety, you are on the wrong side of history. Trish's response was thoughtful. I appreciate that and wasn't really singling her out as much as all the misinformation being spouted by the left. We all know that both sides do it and I don'y like it when they act in this manner.

    My point is think for yourself. I don't adopt the R or the D's agenda. I am conservative on financial issues and more libertarian on the Social issues of our time. You? You just fall in line. Our press has corrupted itself as has our government. It has gotten much worse over the last 17 years.
    Blacks and poor people been voting Democrat for years and years. Hey are no better off. Vote for economics and traditions. Be part of saving America from the nutty left. The ones that highjacked this jaskassery Party.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (01-05-2018),Trish (01-05-2018)

  5. #13
    Points: 2,667, Level: 12
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Shady Slim's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    4370
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    646
    Points
    2,667
    Level
    12
    Thanks Given
    347
    Thanked 462x in 304 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    I've mentioned this several times and been poohooed.

    .



  6. #14
    Points: 7,658, Level: 20
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Trish's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    6530
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,207
    Points
    7,658
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    1,319
    Thanked 1,661x in 1,020 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shady Slim - I welcome you to my seed and appreciate all points of views. I encourage you to defend your position on the article topic and debate with other posters who have a different perspective but I would respectfully ask if you could please not post items that are meant solely to be offensive towards either side.
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

  7. #15
    Points: 5,766, Level: 18
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1027
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    5,766
    Level
    18
    Thanks Given
    495
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I worry about the US taking a back seat or no seat on some of these issues as well. It's a difficult balance because I do think we needed to revise our trade agreements but I'm not sure that it's in our benefit to cut ourselves off from the rest of the world.

    Sometimes we have to wait for the impact results of policies to be able to better understand what we did right or wrong.

    When I read this article the funny thing that popped into my head was that series "The Man in the High Castle".
    I don't think it is possible to revise trade deals to our long term advantage. Most of them are so old, we have already paid the price for entering into them. Probably the most damage has been done by fungible technology. I am old enough that I recall that there used to be limits on foreign access to the latest US computer technology. Now anybody can get the stuff as soon as it is released if not sooner, which allows developing countries the ability to compete like they never could before. I am not saying it is better or worse philosophically, but it has come with economic costs.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

    Trish (01-05-2018)

  9. #16
    Points: 46,788, Level: 52
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    68557
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    In a house on a hill
    Posts
    17,644
    Points
    46,788
    Level
    52
    Thanks Given
    3,183
    Thanked 6,856x in 4,947 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I question if any socialist economy can ever become a long term world power house. Eventually all socialist regimes collapse under their own weight. China may look like the Big Man on Campus now but time will tell. And if China becomes increasingly capitalist is that a bad thing?
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

    Trish (01-05-2018)

  11. #17
    Points: 7,658, Level: 20
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Trish's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    6530
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,207
    Points
    7,658
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    1,319
    Thanked 1,661x in 1,020 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I question if any socialist economy can ever become a long term world power house. Eventually all socialist regimes collapse under their own weight. China may look like the Big Man on Campus now but time will tell. And if China becomes increasingly capitalist is that a bad thing?
    I agree, there is no true Shangri-La. Maybe what we're seeing is China moving towards a more capitalistic society but I don't think so. I think the author get's it right when he says that China is not ready to take on the role that the United States has had for so long. I admit that I do believe we are dangerously acquiescing our role in the world.
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

  12. #18
    Points: 7,658, Level: 20
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Trish's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    6530
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,207
    Points
    7,658
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    1,319
    Thanked 1,661x in 1,020 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I don't think it is possible to revise trade deals to our long term advantage. Most of them are so old, we have already paid the price for entering into them. Probably the most damage has been done by fungible technology. I am old enough that I recall that there used to be limits on foreign access to the latest US computer technology. Now anybody can get the stuff as soon as it is released if not sooner, which allows developing countries the ability to compete like they never could before. I am not saying it is better or worse philosophically, but it has come with economic costs.
    You bring up such a great point about technology and how it has become so easily attainable. We are all connected now and the average citizen hasn't considered how that threatens our sovereignty even if by accident at times. In this respect, maybe China has it right that they've kept their knowledge so close to their chest. I'm not knowledgeable to understand how to do this without impeding on citizen's rights.
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

    Kacper (01-05-2018)

  14. #19
    Points: 5,766, Level: 18
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1027
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    5,766
    Level
    18
    Thanks Given
    495
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    You bring up such a great point about technology and how it has become so easily attainable. We are all connected now and the average citizen hasn't considered how that threatens our sovereignty even if by accident at times. In this respect, maybe China has it right that they've kept their knowledge so close to their chest. I'm not knowledgeable to understand how to do this without impeding on citizen's rights.
    I am not sure it can be easily done at this point because the inputs to technology are so global now. I believe that it is inevitable that the US will economically decline in relation to other countries because those countries are ascending and at any point in time, the pie is only so big. One of the things we have to figure out culturally is how to adapt to constraint/decline. Our whole leadership/management mentality is based on expansion/growth. We don't have a lot of cultural experience with effectively managing contraction/decline. It is new for us so it presents intellectual challenges unfamiliar to our collective psyche. It is why places like Detroit are chaos. We continue to expect/force growth when that simply is no longer possible there.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

    Ethereal (01-05-2018),Trish (01-05-2018)

  16. #20
    Points: 46,788, Level: 52
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    68557
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    In a house on a hill
    Posts
    17,644
    Points
    46,788
    Level
    52
    Thanks Given
    3,183
    Thanked 6,856x in 4,947 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I agree, there is no true Shangri-La. Maybe what we're seeing is China moving towards a more capitalistic society but I don't think so. I think the author get's it right when he says that China is not ready to take on the role that the United States has had for so long. I admit that I do believe we are dangerously acquiescing our role in the world.
    I once took a course in Chinese History at the University of Maryland. And one thing I took from the course is that China will always be China. China has been invaded several times in its history but the invaders, instead of turning the Chinese into them, the Chinese turned the invaders into Chinese. I saw communism as just another invader that China would eventually swallow up and go back to its roots. Historically, China has been somewhat laissez-faire economically and the day to day transactions for the general population have been ignored by the central government. Eventually, I truly believe China will return to this economic policy internally.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

    Ethereal (01-05-2018),Trish (01-05-2018)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO