nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't we always been a "global economy"? The very discovery of America was because Europe was looking for a cheaper faster trade route to China for its trade goods. Mathew Perry was instrumental in expanding our trade into Japan. One of the first trade deals was with railroad engine manufacturers who sold them locomotives.What is changing is not that we are a global economy but that the rest of the world is catching up with us with technology and we are letting it happen by not educating our youth in important disciplines. We are more concerned about safe places and social justice then we are in engineering and mathematics.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-05-2018),Ethereal (01-05-2018),Trish (01-05-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Haven't we always been a "global economy"? The very discovery of America was because Europe was looking for a cheaper faster trade route to China for its trade goods. Mathew Perry was instrumental in expanding our trade into Japan. One of the first trade deals was with railroad engine manufacturers who sold them locomotives.What is changing is not that we are a global economy but that the rest of the world is catching up with us with technology and we are letting it happen by not educating our youth in important disciplines. We are more concerned about safe places and social justice then we are in engineering and mathematics.
    I think you've made an excellent observation. They are catching up and I'm afraid you're right that we are not educating our youth to take us to the next level. That requires us investing in our youth and I think we are falling short in that area but I also don't want to hijack the conversation onto another topic of education.

It's also neat that you took a course in Chinese history. I'm glad you joined the discussion.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    One of the things we have to figure out culturally is how to adapt to constraint/decline. Our whole leadership/management mentality is based on expansion/growth. We don't have a lot of cultural experience with effectively managing contraction/decline. It is new for us so it presents intellectual challenges unfamiliar to our collective psyche. It is why places like Detroit are chaos. We continue to expect/force growth when that simply is no longer possible there.
    Yes, this is certainly the challenge. I think we are also going to see more situations like the one in Detroit spread to other areas in the country as we become more technologically capable. It's a double edged sword.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Kacper (01-05-2018)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tall Caucasian Mummies of China

"In a find that could turn conventional history on its head, scientists using genetic testing have discovered that Caucasians lived in western China's Tarim Basin a thousand years before East Asians arrived."

Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh please, this was a nice thread without the conspiracy crap.

And since I saw the image of a swastika in one frame and references to "blond haired, blue eyed" I can only see this as another White Supremacist bull$#@! post.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China does not have a pure Communist system any longer. They have bonded Capitalism and Communism for the time being. There are Chinese billionaires. It remains to be seen if they can balance this for any length of time.

They don't seem to want territory but influence. Their bases in the South China Sea don't mean much when we can freely navigate it. It does give them influence in Asia.

I also remember when Japan was going to be the economic giant; then the Germans.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (01-05-2018)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    nic34's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,703x in 2,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
    Tall Caucasian Mummies of China

"In a find that could turn conventional history on its head, scientists using genetic testing have discovered that Caucasians lived in western China's Tarim Basin a thousand years before East Asians arrived."

Huh?
    "Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
    ----------

Nattering naybob

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    China does not have a pure Communist system any longer. They have bonded Capitalism and Communism for the time being. There are Chinese billionaires. It remains to be seen if they can balance this for any length of time.

They don't seem to want territory but influence. Their bases in the South China Sea don't mean much when we can freely navigate it. It does give them influence in Asia.

I also remember when Japan was going to be the economic giant; then the Germans.
    Yes, remember in the 80's all the hype that Japanese manufacturing was so much better than US. They gave their employees a job for life etc. Japan was going to own all of America (completely overlooking how much foreign businesses was owned by the United States). The Japanese automobiles were touted as the best in the world while ours were crap. How times change. Its also interesting that (1) perhaps the best cars for the average consumer on the road today are made in South Korea and both Japan and Germany are building cars in the United States because its cheaper to build here then in their own country. Walmart was going to sell Chinese cars but they were like Chinese food, a half hour after you drove one you had to drive one again.

I think another issue which sort of contradicts previous arguments is that we are pushing everyone to go to college and many students are just not college material. That does not mean they are stupid but their talents lie in being machinist or plumbers etc. We can't design things anymore nor can we build them. 50 years ago American workmanship was second to none, today not so much.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (01-05-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think another issue which sort of contradicts previous arguments is that we are pushing everyone to go to college and many students are just not college material. That does not mean they are stupid but their talents lie in being machinist or plumbers etc. We can't design things anymore nor can we build them. 50 years ago American workmanship was second to none, today not so much.
    I think you are spot on about college and I agree 100%. I hope you did not think my earlier comment was to promote only college. As you rightly point out there are other ways to educate our youth such as voc-tech.

I learned more from my father through the chores he had me do then some of the college courses I took.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is possible to revise trade deals to our long term advantage. Most of them are so old, we have already paid the price for entering into them. Probably the most damage has been done by fungible technology. I am old enough that I recall that there used to be limits on foreign access to the latest US computer technology. Now anybody can get the stuff as soon as it is released if not sooner, which allows developing countries the ability to compete like they never could before. I am not saying it is better or worse philosophically, but it has come with economic costs.
    I believe you to be incorrect on restructuring trade deals. You cannot undo past permanent damage, but you can improve the future. Not thinking that way is incomprehensible. Of course changing deals can swing a deal your way.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (01-06-2018)

+ Reply to Thread