User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: So you want Change to come to America?

  1. #1
    Points: 92,496, Level: 74
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,254
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    147153
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    36,073
    Points
    92,496
    Level
    74
    Thanks Given
    13,846
    Thanked 10,430x in 7,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So you want Change to come to America?

    I see a lot of new faces and it has been a while since I have posted But in my absence we have been involved in a buy local, which has really opened my eyes to the best way to change America.

    We as a people are so into the National politics and really convinced that what the President and Congress have so much control over our daily lives. Nothing could be further from the truth.

    So for those that really want to see a better America? You need to start with your City and County Governments, Including your School Boards.

    Next move on to your State Representatives and Judges. And to some extent the State Gov.

    These are much more easy to effect the outcome and to keep the people accountable to their word.

    Once these are in place it would be your Congress Person on the national level and then your Senators.

    The President has so little effect on the daily happenings of this Country. And if we concentrate on the local everything will be ok.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

    Ethereal (01-08-2018),Peter1469 (01-08-2018)

  3. #2
    Points: 231,800, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Common's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    319841
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    41,017
    Points
    231,800
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    14,646
    Thanked 21,887x in 14,700 Posts
    Mentioned
    795 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all WELCOME back zelmo
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it"



    George Orwell

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (01-08-2018),Tricia (01-08-2018)

  5. #3
    Points: 86,015, Level: 71
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,235
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    76785
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    28,656
    Points
    86,015
    Level
    71
    Thanks Given
    3,623
    Thanked 8,750x in 6,573 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    I see a lot of new faces and it has been a while since I have posted But in my absence we have been involved in a buy local, which has really opened my eyes to the best way to change America.

    We as a people are so into the National politics and really convinced that what the President and Congress have so much control over our daily lives. Nothing could be further from the truth.

    So for those that really want to see a better America? You need to start with your City and County Governments, Including your School Boards.

    Next move on to your State Representatives and Judges. And to some extent the State Gov.

    These are much more easy to effect the outcome and to keep the people accountable to their word.

    Once these are in place it would be your Congress Person on the national level and then your Senators.

    The President has so little effect on the daily happenings of this Country. And if we concentrate on the local everything will be ok.
    Zelmo, I consider myself a localist by principal and have often stated that municipalities can be even more dictorial than the feds. I joined our site plan review board but they tend to "forget to notify me of meetings " due to my "it's their property let em do what they want with it with as little interference as necessary. " Attitude
    Where can I find out more about the buy local groups? I really live in the sticks so it might be buy small busines more than local for me but if you have anything to pass along please do.

  6. #4
    Points: 4,666, Level: 16
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    817
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,948
    Points
    4,666
    Level
    16
    Thanks Given
    414
    Thanked 807x in 590 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Zelmo, I consider myself a localist by principal and have often stated that municipalities can be even more dictorial than the feds. I joined our site plan review board but they tend to "forget to notify me of meetings " due to my "it's their property let em do what they want with it with as little interference as necessary. " Attitude
    Where can I find out more about the buy local groups? I really live in the sticks so it might be buy small busines more than local for me but if you have anything to pass along please do.
    You can search the database for CSA's if those interest you: https://www.ams.usda.gov/local-food-directories/csas

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

    donttread (01-08-2018)

  8. #5
    Points: 86,015, Level: 71
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,235
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    76785
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    28,656
    Points
    86,015
    Level
    71
    Thanks Given
    3,623
    Thanked 8,750x in 6,573 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    You can search the database for CSA's if those interest you: https://www.ams.usda.gov/local-food-directories/csas

    Thank you I will do so.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Kacper (01-08-2018)

  10. #6
    Points: 92,496, Level: 74
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,254
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    147153
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    36,073
    Points
    92,496
    Level
    74
    Thanks Given
    13,846
    Thanked 10,430x in 7,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Zelmo, I consider myself a localist by principal and have often stated that municipalities can be even more dictorial than the feds. I joined our site plan review board but they tend to "forget to notify me of meetings " due to my "it's their property let em do what they want with it with as little interference as necessary. " Attitude Where can I find out more about the buy local groups? I really live in the sticks so it might be buy small busines more than local for me but if you have anything to pass along please do.
    Unfortunately, in small towns you can have some trouble with this, but it is also very easy to influence your government in these areas. A dedicated group of 10 people can usually swing things one way or another, as long as it is not going against the wishes of the large employers.

    That is the beauty of Local and State government, while they have more rights than the federal government, it is very easy to get bad laws and regulations changed if you have the know how.

    To find the times of the meetings sign up for notifications from the local government and the paper, there are times when the local government will not post on there site if they want to do something that is unpopular so you need the paper notifications as well.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

    donttread (01-08-2018)

  12. #7
    Points: 92,496, Level: 74
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,254
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    147153
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    36,073
    Points
    92,496
    Level
    74
    Thanks Given
    13,846
    Thanked 10,430x in 7,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing to remember is to purchase Local as much as you can. For example using the local grocer for everything you can instead of a large chain store comes back in many ways, because the taxes are paid locally, and the more they sell the more employees they need to have, they generally have a lot less automation

    there is nearly always a buy local group in your areas that will have a web page, and they will direct you toward your needs.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (01-08-2018),resister (01-08-2018)

  14. #8
    Points: 133,083, Level: 88
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 2,967
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Karma
    618159
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    44,140
    Points
    133,083
    Level
    88
    Thanks Given
    50,496
    Thanked 22,908x in 15,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    1618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @zelmo1234, welcome back my friend. How are things? I appreciate the good word you shared here.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."
    - Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926), American labor leader

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Arrow For This Useful Post:

    Common (01-08-2018)

  16. #9
    Points: 86,015, Level: 71
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,235
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    76785
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    28,656
    Points
    86,015
    Level
    71
    Thanks Given
    3,623
    Thanked 8,750x in 6,573 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    The other thing to remember is to purchase Local as much as you can. For example using the local grocer for everything you can instead of a large chain store comes back in many ways, because the taxes are paid locally, and the more they sell the more employees they need to have, they generally have a lot less automation

    there is nearly always a buy local group in your areas that will have a web page, and they will direct you toward your needs.
    We already buy what we can local but there isn't much here

  17. #10
    Points: 92,496, Level: 74
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 2,254
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    147153
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    36,073
    Points
    92,496
    Level
    74
    Thanks Given
    13,846
    Thanked 10,430x in 7,799 Posts
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    @zelmo1234, welcome back my friend. How are things? I appreciate the good word you shared here.
    Hey ho about those Titans !

    Well We all want things to get better and if this does not convince everyone that our elected officials in DC could care less about us? I don't know what will.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

    Green Arrow (01-09-2018)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO