User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often should town halls be held?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a month

5 35.71%
  • Only by member request

4 28.57%
  • Don't care

5 35.71%
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: First 2018 Advisor Town Hall

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Youre too smart for most of us Doc, I love to watch you and chris go at it, I stay the hell out of it because I can never figure out what you two are talking about but I read it
    Thanks, but you hold your own very well indeed. We just have different areas of interest.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,378x in 15,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    This whole business of lies vs truth is highly subjective.
    Truth is never subjective.

People see things through their own unique perspectives. You can challenge their perceptions, but calling them blatantly dishonest assumes that they are deliberately trying to lie.
    That is because most of the time, they are. When a statement has been demonstrated to be false, and someone continues to try to pass it off as fact, unless they are too stupid to understand the difference (which is possible regarding the particular "advisor" in question), that person is being dishonest.

How would they benefit from those supposed lies? They don't get paid to post, they aren't signing up membership to a political party. They have no reason to lie. They might be wrong, but they are not lying.
    Nonsense.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what cletus is referring too is basically the media that has been proven to be doing alot of lieing about trump. Then members post that here as truth and they defend it, and thats taken as dishonest, both the left and right here are guilty of never admitting much of the time when theyve been proven wrong and that makes for the appearance of dishonesty.
    On occasion, it is proven to be untrue but more often than not all that cut and dried and it's a battle of news sources. I really have a problem with calling people liars because it impugns their character. If I don't believe someone's assertion, I'd rather say something like 'color me sceptical' or 'I'm unconvinced'.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (01-11-2018),Green Arrow (01-11-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I proposed that someone be responsible for growing the board. I was uniformly laughed at. But, it appears my suggestion was acted upon.

No one thought to thank me.

I once heard a story, a true story, about a man who gave a seven-figure contribution to a do-gooder group. No one in that organization asked him how he would like to be thanked. That is how it is here.

Indeed, more communication between mods and members would do everyone good.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Youre too smart for most of us Doc, I love to watch you and chris go at it, I stay the hell out of it because I can never figure out what you two are talking about but I read it
    Except, in fact, we don't go at it. Who will post opinion A, I will address her opinion A and counter with opinion B, and then Who will quote me and reply with opinion C having nothing whatsoever to do with either her opinio A or my opinion B. It may look like a discussion but isn't. As of late I have pushed her back to A and B and she gets irritated.

Perhaps she's French because French rhetoric has that roundabout style and opposed to the more straightforward British and American style.

(Please, I am talking about posting style and not her personally. Unlike her who when she gets irritated attacks personally.)

((And as I post this I wonder again why a town hall keeps drifting into talking about members.))
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

That is because most of the time, they are. When a statement has been demonstrated to be false, and someone continues to try to pass it off as fact, unless they are too stupid to understand the difference (which is possible regarding the particular "advisor" in question), that person is being dishonest.

Nonsense.

Not to one who adheres to the classical liberal ideology.

For one who adheres to counter-Enlightenment ideology, from Rousseau, Hegel...on to post-modern ideology, truth is entirely subjective, allows for contradiction, does not exist. Understand that and you will understand the posts of many a "thoughtful" liberal member here. --The question then becomes how do you argue with such views?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nonsense.

Not to one who adheres to the classical liberal ideology.

For one who adheres to counter-Enlightenment ideology, from Rousseau, Hegel...on to post-modern ideology, truth is entirely subjective, allows for contradiction, does not exist. Understand that and you will understand the posts of many a "thoughtful" liberal member here. --The question then becomes how do you argue with such views?

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nonsense.
    OK, since we are generally discussing how to improve the forum and cut down on the sort of things that either alienate the membership or scare off new members, how we treat each other while we disagree is the difference between a hostile wasteland of fighting and bickering and someplace where people join discussions.

When threads simply devolve into a mutual insult society, what we attract is trolls, because anyone who actually wants to have a conversation wouldn't join the forum unless they were paid.

The tenor of our threads of late is laying bait for trolls. If we as members don't want to attract trolls, then we shouldn't create a troll-attractive environment. That may mean considering your words when you respond, so that you are not promoting hostile responses and thus exciting the lurking trolls seeking a new hunting ground.

Trolls will be deliberately dishonest just to instigate fights because that is their purpose. They pick a side and go out of their way to irritate and aggravate others, especially those who don't routinely rise to the bait. They post offensive memes and dog members across threads, needling them relentlessly and derailing threads until they are ultimately banned, but by then they have damaged the forum.

It's up to all of us to create the forum that we want. The Mods cannot create it for us. We are all responsible for our contributions.

Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-11-2018),KathyS (01-12-2018)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tricia's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,807x in 1,044 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to take a second to offer a few words about our mods. They aren't perfect, I'm not trying to say that, but they are offering a service to this forum FREE OF CHARGE. I was a moderator here and lasted less than two months. The stress was absolutely more than I could handle coupled with the normal stresses of my every day life. I can't think of anyone, anyone at all, who would actually want to moderate this board the way it currently is. People hardly want to post here any more for gosh sakes. But still these four do it, and don't $#@! about what an absolute thankless job it is. I personally would have jumped ship a long time ago if I were any one of them. All they get is griping and complaining. There are things that could be done differently moderation wise that would probably help the board, we all have our opinions on that. I just think that we should offer our opinions in a little more of a constructive manner, without the unnecessary personal attacks.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tricia For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (01-12-2018),gamewell45 (01-11-2018),Green Arrow (01-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Except, in fact, we don't go at it. Who will post opinion A, I will address her opinion A and counter with opinion B, and then Who will quote me and reply with opinion C having nothing whatsoever to do with either her opinio A or my opinion B. It may look like a discussion but isn't. As of late I have pushed her back to A and B and she gets irritated.

Perhaps she's French because French rhetoric has that roundabout style and opposed to the more straightforward British and American style.

(Please, I am talking about posting style and not her personally. Unlike her who when she gets irritated attacks personally.)

((And as I post this I wonder again why a town hall keeps drifting into talking about members.))
    No. It's just that you seem to generally misunderstand or misconstrue what I am saying and when I try a different way of explaining, you invariably conclude it is an alternate opinion. It's all related, but we are incapable of communicating with any clarity. FYI you make plenty of personal remarks. You just don't recognize them as such and then wonder why I become irritated. I can only conclude that you are from Mars and I am from Venus and there is a fundamental language barrier.

Mahatma Gandhi

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Bethere (01-11-2018),Green Arrow (01-11-2018),Safety (01-12-2018)

Closed Thread