Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,380x in 1,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    got news for ya, they are $#@!hole countries, whos govts do nothing for them NOTHING they are true $#@!holes.
    So why should they not be allowed to come here and make life better for themselves? That's what the US has always done and stood for, welcoming people from horrible countries who wanted a better life. Newsflash, that's why people have always come here in the first place.

Wat did you miss in history class? Where do you think Einstein came from? A heavenly country?

God god, the ignorance is palpable in here.
    I'm prancing like a pony.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leekohler2 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    exotix's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,534x in 7,660 Posts
    Mentioned
    951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    got news for ya, they are $#@!hole countries, whos govts do nothing for them NOTHING they are true $#@!holes.
    You have a point ... in fact Trumpf did basically call Mexico a $#@!hole because they don't send their best and brightest ... like we once allowed in ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

'How and Why ?' ~ Einstein

4. The Following User Says Thank You to exotix For This Useful Post:

Safety (01-12-2018)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,271x in 18,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't want them here, because, we don't need them, they bring nothing to the table, they have no skills that would make them worth taking....we have enough of our own home grown shiftless losers sucking on the government teat.

Too many people here who just don't get it....we have our OWN poor, homeless and hungry people...let's get THEM taken care of first.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,271x in 18,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one for ya....I've been called heartless and, been accused of not caring about the $#@!hole citizens, living in the $#@!hole countries..... what kind of US citizen.... LEGALLY born, US citizen, overlooks OUR homeless, hungry and, jobless, but, is in favor of bringing in poor people from foreign countries, to house, feed, find jobs for and, take care of?

You, who say awful things about me and, others like me, have no room to talk, because you're 10 times worse.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    We don't want them here, because, we don't need them, they bring nothing to the table, they have no skills that would make them worth taking....we have enough of our own home grown shiftless losers sucking on the government teat.

Too many people here who just don't get it....we have our OWN poor, homeless and hungry people...let's get THEM taken care of first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Here's one for ya....I've been called heartless and, been accused of not caring about the $#@!hole citizens, living in the $#@!hole countries..... what kind of US citizen.... LEGALLY born, US citizen, overlooks OUR homeless, hungry and, jobless, but, is in favor of bringing in poor people from foreign countries, to house, feed, find jobs for and, take care of?

You, who say awful things about me and, others like me, have no room to talk, she you're 10 times worse.
    Harsh ... especially after everyone got a great Christmas gift ...

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Kalkin's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,788x in 2,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    There are 54 African countries ... can you imagine that ? .... Trump called an entire continent a $#@!hole.
    So what? He's right.
    "An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time.
    One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition
    across a period of many years if he is
    to have a chance of succeeding"

~RZ67~

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    leekohler2's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    Harsh ... especially after everyone got a great Christmas gift ...

Abby needs to read this:

Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
    Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
    https://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/3061.html

Because you know what happens when we give people a chance? They usually make the best of it and succeed. That is evident throughout the history of our great country. I see it every day in Chicago.

I see immigrants working their butts off to make good lives here, just like many of my ancestors did when they came here with nothing.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalkin View Post
    So what? He's right.
    Well sort of ...

America's Poor Still Live Better Than Most Of The Rest Of Humanity

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#681f559f54ef

https://www.google.com/search?ei=CI1....0.2IqSG2Gk_UM

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,044x in 8,893 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leekohler2 View Post
    So why should they not be allowed to come here and make life better for themselves? That's what the US has always done and stood for, welcoming people from horrible countries who wanted a better life. Newsflash, that's why people have always come here in the first place.

Wat did you miss in history class? Where do you think Einstein came from? A heavenly country?

God god, the ignorance is palpable in here.
    People forget that the places where the waves of immigration stemmed from were, by today's standards, '$#@!holes', with millions of poor, illiterate and hungry citizens, some of whom who managed to scrape up the money for a steerage passage to America, which was about one step above the accommodation for animals. More often than not it was the heads of households who came first, obtained employment and sent every penny not needed to survive back home until they could afford to bring their wives and kids over and then siblings and other relatives. Ellis Island was filled with people suffering from TB and other communicable diseases that had to be treated. The difference was that back then America was building infrastructure everywhere. Industrialization was exploding and labor was needed desperately.

What seems to be lost in the narrative is that the places where these people originated also industrialized and their people also became better off and now they don't need or want to pack up and leave. The cold war is over and that immigration has slowed to a trickle. The only people who really want to come to America now are those seeking opportunities that they can't find in their home countries and those countries are not generally members of the first world or even the second world. The majority of immigrants are either those who are highly educated and seeking well-paying jobs in their fields and those wanting to escape poverty and/or political unrest. There are more of the latter than the former because the former are not just looking to move to America, but are targeting specific firms and industries anywhere in the world and whose prospective employers often assist in bringing them in.

America needs immigration as do all western countries now, because of shrinking birthrates and just as in the 1800's and early 1900's, beggars can't be choosers.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

leekohler2 (01-13-2018)

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    leekohler2's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    People forget that the places where the waves of immigration stemmed from were, by today's standards, '$#@!holes', with millions of poor, illiterate and hungry citizens, some of whom who managed to scrape up the money for a steerage passage to America, which was about one step above the accommodation for animals. More often than not it was the heads of households who came first, obtained employment and sent every penny not needed to survive back home until they could afford to bring their wives and kids over and then siblings and other relatives. Ellis Island was filled with people suffering from TB and other communicable diseases that had to be treated. The difference was that back then America was building infrastructure everywhere. Industrialization was exploding and labor was needed desperately.

What seems to be lost in the narrative is that the places where these people originated also industrialized and their people also became better off and now they don't need or want to pack up and leave. The cold war is over and that immigration has slowed to a trickle. The only people who really want to come to America now are those seeking opportunities that they can't find in their home countries and those countries are not generally members of the first world or even the second world. The majority of immigrants are either those who are highly educated and seeking well-paying jobs in their fields and those wanting to escape poverty and/or political unrest. There are more of the latter than the former because the former are not just looking to move to America, but are targeting specific firms and industries anywhere in the world and whose prospective employers often assist in bringing them in.

America needs immigration as do all western countries now, because of shrinking birthrates and just as in the 1800's and early 1900's, beggars can't be choosers.
    Exactly! And we need those people! Many of them are quite brilliant and just need a place where they can shine. It's always been that way in the USA, and why I have always been proud of it. Now, we have people who want to stop that, and I will never agree to that.

A lot of my family came here after WWI. Some right before WW2 from Germany and Romania, which were terrible places at the time.
    Last edited by leekohler2; 01-13-2018 at 12:51 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to leekohler2 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread