Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,271x in 18,826 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it always the liberals moaning about how the poor kids have a lesser chance of growing up to be anything and, isn't that why we're supposed to be happy to give more of our hard earned money?

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,041
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    William's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Isn't it always the liberals moaning about how the poor kids have a lesser chance of growing up to be anything and, isn't that why we're supposed to be happy to give more of our hard earned money?
    My mum is pretty much a conservative in everything, and my dad is a bit conservative, and both contribute to charities for poor or disadvantaged kids. They both agree that children from disadvantaged backgrounds and poor families are less likely to be 'successful' by society's standards - that doesn't mean there will not be exceptions, and very successful people will not come from poor families.

But the opportunities are fewer, and my friend from Scunthorpe in Yorkshire is a good example. He is cleverer than me, but when he leaves school he will end up working on the factory floor of the local steel works (his older brother is already doing that). This is not just because his parents can't afford to send him to university, but also because they don't believe in higher education. They are very nice people, but his dad is a postman, and his mum used to take in washing to help feed and clothe their big family, of which John is the second oldest. You will not see a bookshelf, nor will you ever hear classical music in their house. Other than me (who he hasn't seen in like over two years,) all his friends come from the same background, and have the same interests.

So it is not just in education and commercial opportunities where kids from poor families miss out. They don't get to experience lots of things we see as 'normal'. For example when John came to stay at our house down South, he didn't know what a fish knife and fork were - he saw them alongside his plate, and had to ask me what they were for. And he heard me playing a piano piece by Chopin and was rapt (even though my playing was a bit ropey,) so now he buys classical CDs - to the annoyance of his family who don't like that sort of music. I hope he escapes his family when he is older, and explores new stuff.

So really, giving some of your hard earned money to help poor and disadvantaged kids is doing yourself a favour because it makes society a better place. The Johns of this world could go on to become doctors or scientists and find a cure for cancer, instead of becoming a bored worker whose only interest is going to the footy on weekends, and 'a jar with the lads' at his local - and worse still, bringing up his kids to be the same.
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    My mum is pretty much a conservative in everything, and my dad is a bit conservative, and both contribute to charities for poor or disadvantaged kids. They both agree that children from disadvantaged backgrounds and poor families are less likely to be 'successful' by society's standards - that doesn't mean there will not be exceptions, and very successful people will not come from poor families.

But the opportunities are fewer, and my friend from Scunthorpe in Yorkshire is a good example. He is cleverer than me, but when he leaves school he will end up working on the factory floor of the local steel works (his older brother is already doing that). This is not just because his parents can't afford to send him to university, but also because they don't believe in higher education. They are very nice people, but his dad is a postman, and his mum used to take in washing to help feed and clothe their big family, of which John is the second oldest. You will not see a bookshelf, nor will you ever hear classical music in their house. Other than me (who he hasn't seen in like over two years,) all his friends come from the same background, and have the same interests.

So it is not just in education and commercial opportunities where kids from poor families miss out. They don't get to experience lots of things we see as 'normal'. For example when John came to stay at our house down South, he didn't know what a fish knife and fork were - he saw them alongside his plate, and had to ask me what they were for. And he heard me playing a piano piece by Chopin and was rapt (even though my playing was a bit ropey,) so now he buys classical CDs - to the annoyance of his family who don't like that sort of music. I hope he escapes his family when he is older, and explores new stuff.

So really, giving some of your hard earned money to help poor and disadvantaged kids is doing yourself a favour because it makes society a better place. The Johns of this world could go on to become doctors or scientists and find a cure for cancer, instead of becoming a bored worker whose only interest is going to the footy on weekends, and 'a jar with the lads' at his local - and worse still, bringing up his kids to be the same.
    I am not sure if you are being serious or satirical. For whatever it is worth, two of my siblings have university degrees and work "on the factory floor" by choice. They get fairly good money and benefits. Two of my siblings who don't have university anything likewise worked themselves up from the very bottom to having management positions running their respective departments for their employers. My other sibling does nothing but piss their life away waiting for the disability check to come once a month to get their drunk on and then sponging off other people for his upkeep, but he has mental issues galore anyway, so whatever. Me? I have a JD/MBA and in so doing must have learned somewhere along the way how to eat fish without the need for a special knife, but I am a heathen, bad seed from birth, etc etc etc

+ Reply to Thread