User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: Trump Is Making Americans Hate Their Own Country

  1. #1
    Points: 32,636, Level: 44
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25326
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,583
    Points
    32,636
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    126
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trump Is Making Americans Hate Their Own Country

    http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-trump-effect-in-reverse.html

    This is interesting:

    President Trumpís effort to bar many Muslims from entering the United States may have actually caused public opinion to shift towards Muslims in general ó just not in the direction the president likely intended.

    Many Americans who once supported or remained neutral on Trumpís travel ban have altered their stance, according to a new report in Political Behavior. The study, authored by political scientists Loren Collingwood, Nazita Lajevardi, and Kassra A.R. Oskooii, surveyed 423 people prior to the first iteration of the ban, which targeted all refugees and citizens from seven Muslim-majority nations.

    When surveyed again a week later, many of the same respondents seemed to have changed their minds. Around 30 percent said they felt more negatively towards the legislation than they had prior to its introduction, with many of those showing the biggest shift also describing their U.S. nationality as a major component of their identity.

    Thatís a notable turn of events, one that indicates the Trump administrationís hardline efforts to target immigrants ó especially Muslim immigrants ó could be backfiring.
    Around 30 - 40% of Americans are racists just like Trump.That seems pretty clear. But I still think most Americans like the idea of the America being a nation of people from all over the world. It's our national mythos, even though we've always had this nativist strain and for centuries treated new immigrants like dirt until they assimilated and they did the same. But at least since the middle of the last century, pride in the American melting pot and our immigrant character has been something that kids were taught in school in the same we they're taught that we believe in freedom and liberty. It may not be true, but it's an ideal that people like to believe is true.

    Trump is making Americans hate their own country.
    Trump's an idiot. Get over it.

    Innocence always calls mutely for protection when we would be so much wiser to guard ourselves against it: innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm.

    óGraham Greene, The Quiet American






  2. #2
    Points: 32,636, Level: 44
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25326
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,583
    Points
    32,636
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    126
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed what seems to be more sympathy for Muslims in national dialogue since Trump took office.

    People realize that whatever he wants is wrong. Just do the opposite.
    Trump's an idiot. Get over it.

    Innocence always calls mutely for protection when we would be so much wiser to guard ourselves against it: innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm.

    óGraham Greene, The Quiet American






  3. #3
    Points: 134,056, Level: 88
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,994
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Karma
    618307
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    44,304
    Points
    134,056
    Level
    88
    Thanks Given
    50,729
    Thanked 23,056x in 15,088 Posts
    Mentioned
    1622 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The headline is an absurdist claim. I dislike Trump just as much as the next guy, but he doesn’t make me hate my country. Nobody can make me feel any type of way unless I allow them to. Foolish people hate their own country because they choose to.
    "Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."
    - Robert F. Kennedy (1925-1968), U.S. Senator from New York and U.S. Attorney General

  4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Green Arrow For This Useful Post:

    Archer0915 (01-19-2018),gamewell45 (01-13-2018),hanger4 (01-13-2018),Kalkin (01-13-2018),KathyS (01-16-2018),resister (01-13-2018),Trumpster (01-19-2018),zelmo1234 (01-13-2018)

  5. #4
    Points: 8,614, Level: 22
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1845
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    4,023
    Points
    8,614
    Level
    22
    Thanks Given
    4,146
    Thanked 1,835x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
    http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-trump-effect-in-reverse.html

    This is interesting:
    President Trumpís effort to bar many Muslims from entering the United States may have actually caused public opinion to shift towards Muslims in general ó just not in the direction the president likely intended.

    Many Americans who once supported or remained neutral on Trumpís travel ban have altered their stance, according to a new report in Political Behavior. The study, authored by political scientists Loren Collingwood, Nazita Lajevardi, and Kassra A.R. Oskooii, surveyed 423 people prior to the first iteration of the ban, which targeted all refugees and citizens from seven Muslim-majority nations.

    When surveyed again a week later, many of the same respondents seemed to have changed their minds. Around 30 percent said they felt more negatively towards the legislation than they had prior to its introduction, with many of those showing the biggest shift also describing their U.S. nationality as a major component of their identity.

    Thatís a notable turn of events, one that indicates the Trump administrationís hardline efforts to target immigrants ó especially Muslim immigrants ó could be backfiring.
    Around 30 - 40% of Americans are racists just like Trump.That seems pretty clear. But I still think most Americans like the idea of the America being a nation of people from all over the world. It's our national mythos, even though we've always had this nativist strain and for centuries treated new immigrants like dirt until they assimilated and they did the same. But at least since the middle of the last century, pride in the American melting pot and our immigrant character has been something that kids were taught in school in the same we they're taught that we believe in freedom and liberty. It may not be true, but it's an ideal that people like to believe is true.

    Trump is making Americans hate their own country.
    Well, that's horse$#@!.Liberals fall into that class of Americans but always have. We're never good enough for them. Don't tar the rest of us with your crap.

    Read your own post. Barring Muslims from seven countries is a Muslim ban? By what stretch of your imagination is that true. Obama did it and Bush did it without a whimper from the loons on the left. Seven Muslim countries were banned out of 43. Some ban.
    Last edited by Captdon; 01-13-2018 at 09:34 AM.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

    resister (01-13-2018),Shady Slim (01-17-2018)

  7. #5
    Points: 7,051, Level: 20
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Trish's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    6452
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,072
    Points
    7,051
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    1,249
    Thanked 1,583x in 968 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
    I have noticed what seems to be more sympathy for Muslims in national dialogue since Trump took office.

    People realize that whatever he wants is wrong. Just do the opposite.
    He does seem to be his own worst spokesperson.

    The overall point is important though. When allies and other key world leaders start to make decisions for the purpose of doing the opposite of the US President then it could have unfortunate consequences.
    ďI'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.Ē
    Marilyn Monroe

  8. #6
    Points: 8,614, Level: 22
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1845
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina now.
    Posts
    4,023
    Points
    8,614
    Level
    22
    Thanks Given
    4,146
    Thanked 1,835x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    He does seem to be his own worst spokesperson.

    The overall point is important though. When allies and other key world leaders start to make decisions for the purpose of doing the opposite of the US President then it could have unfortunate consequences.
    No one does that. Every leader does what he/she thinks is best for their countries. Nobody gets into a personal snit. National leaders don't act that way.

  9. #7
    Points: 32,636, Level: 44
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25326
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,583
    Points
    32,636
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    126
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    The headline is an absurdist claim. I dislike Trump just as much as the next guy, but he doesn’t make me hate my country. Nobody can make me feel any type of way unless I allow them to. Foolish people hate their own country because they choose to.
    Well, it is a rhetorical flourish, but it has a point. America has always been idealistically a pluralistic society, and trumpism is anathema to that.
    Trump's an idiot. Get over it.

    Innocence always calls mutely for protection when we would be so much wiser to guard ourselves against it: innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm.

    óGraham Greene, The Quiet American






  10. #8
    Points: 32,636, Level: 44
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25326
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,583
    Points
    32,636
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    126
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    He does seem to be his own worst spokesperson.

    The overall point is important though. When allies and other key world leaders start to make decisions for the purpose of doing the opposite of the US President then it could have unfortunate consequences.
    Trish, of course you are 100% correct.
    Trump's an idiot. Get over it.

    Innocence always calls mutely for protection when we would be so much wiser to guard ourselves against it: innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm.

    óGraham Greene, The Quiet American






  11. #9
    Original Ranter
    Points: 446,343, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    409637
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    137,670
    Points
    446,343
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    79,478
    Thanked 60,606x in 41,561 Posts
    Mentioned
    2127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is simply incorrect outside of the Northeast and Left Coast.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    zelmo1234 (01-13-2018)

  13. #10
    Points: 32,636, Level: 44
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    25326
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,583
    Points
    32,636
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    126
    Thanked 1,287x in 1,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That is simply incorrect outside of the Northeast and Left Coast.
    Trump's popularity hovers at 40% or less. Usually less.

    A new Quinnipiac poll shows that 57% of Americans feel Trump is not fit to hold the office of President of The United States. That is a sizable majority.
    Trump's an idiot. Get over it.

    Innocence always calls mutely for protection when we would be so much wiser to guard ourselves against it: innocence is like a dumb leper who has lost his bell, wandering the world, meaning no harm.

    óGraham Greene, The Quiet American






+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO