User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Conservatism of Robert Nisbet

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 37,407x in 27,745 Posts
    Mentioned
    1615 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Let me know what you think. I just bought a massive tome on the Holy Roman Empire and a book about the Hapsburgs but I wll add it to my next order if it gets a good review.
    Sure. Just watch for me arguing localism.

Back to your point about constitutions. I think he'd be fine with it provided it came about bottom-up. Neighbors uniting to govern their 'hood, 'hoods uniting to govern larger areas...until you reach something like states and nation under a constitution of limited powers, limited because authority came from the botton-up. Not sure he would but I would argue such a governing structure fluid and reorganizing as needed and revising constitutions bottom-up constituting an explicit and signed social contract--but I stray from Nispet I suspect.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Mister D (01-27-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,460x in 19,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Sure. Just watch for me arguing localism.

Back to your point about constitutions. I think he'd be fine with it provided it came about bottom-up. Neighbors uniting to govern their 'hood, 'hoods uniting to govern larger areas...until you reach something like states and nation under a constitution of limited powers, limited because authority came from the botton-up. Not sure he would but I would argue such a governing structure fluid and reorganizing as needed and revising constitutions bottom-up constituting an explicit and signed social contract--but I stray from Nispet I suspect.
    Localism is a traditional conservative palliative.

I can't say one way or the other because I'm not familiar with his thought but where his name came up leads me to suspect he has views similar to conservative traditionalists when it comes to constitutions. I could certainly be wrong. What I mean , or I should say what they mean, is that if a constitution is written it's a good indication that it has lost its moral force and foundation in custom and tradition.

Think about it historically. Men have always known what they had a right to expect without it being written down. Writing it down does not give it the force it lives on.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (01-27-2018)

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 37,407x in 27,745 Posts
    Mentioned
    1615 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Localism is a traditional conservative palliative.

I can't say one way or the other because I'm not familiar with his thought but where his name came up leads me to suspect he has views similar to conservative traditionalists when it comes to constitutions. I could certainly be wrong. What I mean , or I should say what they mean, is that if a constitution is written it's a good indication that it has lost its moral force and foundation in custom and tradition.

Think about it historically. Men have always known what they had a right to expect without it being written down. Writing it down does not give it the force it lives on.

That I think capture the difference between authority and power.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

+ Reply to Thread