User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Akron: Firestone Mansion catches fire

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,047x in 24,878 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akron: Firestone Mansion catches fire

My buddy owns and lives in Harvey's house (the older brother). It'll be interesting to see what happened. It looks like the building was empty. The second link contains pictures of the home and the grandeur.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/brea...n-catches-fire

http://mrmhadams.typepad.com/blog/20...nice-hill.html
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty house. I cannot tell about the staircase but some of those curving staircases can be deceptively dangerous because the rails slope down as you go up them to create a more visually pleasing view from the bottom. There is a mansion down the road from us where you can't tell starting up them just looking casually but the twin curving stair case's rail go from about 4 feet high at the bottom to about two feet high at the top. The place you most need a rail has an unuseable rail--where the two sharply turn toward each other to converge onto a common landing not visible from below at the top.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,131x in 899 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the article it sounds like they let it get rundown.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad old grand buildings like that are allowed to deteriorate. It'll be interesting to see what the fire investigators ultimately find that caused the fire.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    Too bad old grand buildings like that are allowed to deteriorate.
    I agree but old houses like that are money pits. The old Victorian millionaire houses in our area (not all of them are actually Victorian, but that is what everybody refers to them as) can be bought for 200-300K but nobody wants them because you will be putting 50-100K a year in them forever just to heat and maintain them. My old boss had one and his utilities ran between $2500 and $3500 a month. The ones here are in such a tightly micro-managed historical district that the commission won't let you change a thing about them on the exterior, like replace drafty windows, etc. No matter how well-intended, special zoning overlays that restrict owners from being able to modernize old buildings just add the decline of old buildings.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I agree but old houses like that are money pits. The old Victorian millionaire houses in our area (not all of them are actually Victorian, but that is what everybody refers to them as) can be bought for 200-300K but nobody wants them because you will be putting 50-100K a year in them forever just to heat and maintain them. My old boss had one and his utilities ran between $2500 and $3500 a month. The ones here are in such a tightly micro-managed historical district that the commission won't let you change a thing about them on the exterior, like replace drafty windows, etc. No matter how well-intended, special zoning overlays that restrict owners from being able to modernize old buildings just add the decline of old buildings.
    That's true; they can be money pits. Unless you have deep pockets and can make certain modifications to the existing structure, buying a house like that can drain you financially to the point where you end up selling or even walking away. I think they can do certain things such as re-insulating the walls, updating plumbing, electrical which I don't think you'd get any resistance from zoning laws. I think they are more concerned with the outside look of the house for the most part. But yes, they def are money pits to say the least.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    That's true; they can be money pits. Unless you have deep pockets and can make certain modifications to the existing structure, buying a house like that can drain you financially to the point where you end up selling or even walking away. I think they can do certain things such as re-insulating the walls, updating plumbing, electrical which I don't think you'd get any resistance from zoning laws. I think they are more concerned with the outside look of the house for the most part. But yes, they def are money pits to say the least.
    You can do some things on the inside but they wouldn't let my boss convert from an old radiator heat system to an HVAC system because egads, there would be something not historic on the outside.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (01-15-2018)

+ Reply to Thread