Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    In "coal mining country" there aren't a lot of jobs to be retrained for. Has nothing to do with "educational standards". You reflect the same faulty thinking that Clinton showed in her "I'm going to kill coal!!!" platform. Other than the mines, you have Dollar Stores, Walmart and groceries to work for unless you have enough pull to get a job with the state highway department or something like that. You cannot train people for jobs that don't exist and won't exist in these areas in the workers' lifetimes.

I agree. So where's the self responsibility at from these folks? At what point do you look around and realize there's NOTHING there and maybe you need to make some personal changes in order to provide or survive?

Are we not creating our own s hitholes here in America?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,391x in 27,950 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Yes, the story mentions that the safety regulations have been rolled back but the decline never really had to do with regulations but more with the market. The market for this type of coal has been steadily decreasing. This is what experts tried to tell those in coal but they refused to entertain anything other than the gov't was the problem.

This is not going to get any better for these families. It's time they realize reality and prepare for their next career move.
    Obama did all he could to kill coal. Obama used the government as a weapon to harm every facet of the coal industry. I hope it comes back now that we have an American President again.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Obama did all he could to kill coal. Obama used the government as a weapon to harm every facet of the coal industry. I hope it comes back now that we have an American President again.
    Progress is killing coal. It will never be the power industry it was because we are developing better technology. This is one of those instances where we are witnessing the old way slowly being overtaken by progress.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-28-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress is killing coal. It will never be the power industry it was because we are developing better technology. This is one of those instances where we are witnessing the old way slowly being overtaken by progress.
    You have rewritten history. Congratulations. Obama's rape and attack on an entire industry has now become "progress".
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. So where's the self responsibility at from these folks? At what point do you look around and realize there's NOTHING there and maybe you need to make some personal changes in order to provide or survive?

Are we not creating our own s hitholes here in America?
    What is there is coal. Lots and lots of coal. Killing the coal mines would do for these areas what killing food stamps would do for the inner city. If it OK to kill coal, then it should be ok to kill public assistance. At what point does a poor single mom with 4 kids need to take some personal responsibility and make changes to survive? I don't know what you do for a living, but if the government decided to make that illegal, how would that be your fault?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

Captdon (01-28-2018),Ethereal (01-28-2018)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump is all talk, even his Carrier BS is falling apart. The grand irony here is that people take him serious as if this one person could save them from themselves. Travel America and it easy to see Americans do not support each other.

https://aeon.co/essays/how-economic-...came-to-an-end

"There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are, curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve, then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tiny blasts of tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us." Pogo
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

9. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (01-28-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is there is coal. Lots and lots of coal. Killing the coal mines would do for these areas what killing food stamps would do for the inner city. If it OK to kill coal, then it should be ok to kill public assistance. At what point does a poor single mom with 4 kids need to take some personal responsibility and make changes to survive? I don't know what you do for a living, but if the government decided to make that illegal, how would that be your fault?
    I don't know that I understand the question you are posing with regard to coal. You can't stop progress. You can try and stifle it for a time but it will eventually come at you full force. Coal is not the future, it's the past. It will never be what it was.

These workers have been given a window into the future through clear evidence of the industry's decline. They have a choice to make, blame everyone else for the decline or do something different.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-28-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that I understand the question you are posing with regard to coal. You can't stop progress. You can try and stifle it for a time but it will eventually come at you full force. Coal is not the future, it's the past. It will never be what it was.
    These workers have been given a window into the future through clear evidence of the industry's decline. They have a choice to make, blame everyone else for the decline or do something different.
    I predict we have not seen an end to coal. What we saw was an unconstitutional multi-year attack by the federal government under Barack Hussein O, on an entire industry. President Trump's administration has ended the attack. Obama harmed those people. This is the enormous evil an unconstrained government can do to its citizens. It is a shame the coal was not mined solely by illegal aliens. Then it would have been protected. We would have sanctuary coal mines.

What will happen? Smart people will figure out how to use the coal we have, perhaps in ways as yet unimagined.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,260
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In "coal mining country" there aren't a lot of jobs to be retrained for. Has nothing to do with "educational standards". You reflect the same faulty thinking that Clinton showed in her "I'm going to kill coal!!!" platform. Other than the mines, you have Dollar Stores, Walmart and groceries to work for unless you have enough pull to get a job with the state highway department or something like that. You cannot train people for jobs that don't exist and won't exist in these areas in the workers' lifetimes.
    There are many reasons why some industries don't move to certain areas - sometimes it's because there are not enough workers with the necessary skills. That's what I meant by education. In the interim, people will have to move or start their own businesses, because coal mining simply isn't going to continue to support these communities for years to come.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-28-2018)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,659x in 1,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I predict we have not seen an end to coal. What we saw was an unconstitutional multi-year attack by the federal government under Barack Hussein O, on an entire industry. President Trump's administration has ended the attack. Obama harmed those people. This is the enormous evil an unconstrained government can do to its citizens. It is a shame the coal was not mined solely by illegal aliens. Then it would have been protected. We would have sanctuary coal mines.

What will happen? Smart people will figure out how to use the coal we have, perhaps in ways as yet unimagined.
    Solution? Ship the coal to China, they want it, and don't mind killing their people with coal fumes.

+ Reply to Thread