Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,745x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I tested positive for TB when I was in basic training in 1987. A chest X-ray shows that I was exposed, but my immune system won. I suppose if my immune system ever fails I am screwed.
    Basic training in 1987? Why, you're just a young little whippersnapper, Peter!

Back in the 70s when I started my military career, the military were used as "guinea pigs" for flu shots....we didn't have a choice; it was directed that you report for your flu shot. They used a live vaccine in those days, which CAN give you the flu (killed vaccines that they use nowadays cannot give you the flu). We were vaccinated quite early, in about August if I remember right. A certain percentage of troops got vaccinated for one strain, a certain percentage for another strain, etc. Then any side effects were reported before the civilian populace was offered a flu shot. My flu shot in 1976, I remember it well....within 30 minutes of injection, I started shaking and felt faint and burst into tears....my boss rushed me to the hospital. I spent 12 hours in the hospital being monitored for heart palpitations, high fever, vomiting, and severe tremors. After 12 hours, it suddenly stopped and I was fine. Guess which flu shot was not marketed that year? I was able to dodge my flu shot for the next several years because of that reaction, until they started using killed vaccine. To this day, I hate taking a flu shot.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GrassrootsConservative's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,273x in 3,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with that, oceanlover, my current girlfriend had a flu shot last year that gave her the flu for a couple days.
    This year she said she got one without the preservatives in it and it did not make her sick.
    Last edited by GrassrootsConservative; 12-13-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    oceanloverOH's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassrootsConservative View Post
    Be careful with that, oceanlover, my current girlfriend had a flu shot last year that gave her the flu for a couple days.
    This year she said she got one without the preservatives in it and it did not make her sick.
    Seriously, GRC....a killed vaccine can NOT give you the flu. I got a flu shot this year in October....and got the flu right after Thanksgiving. A different strain, of course. The medical researchers can only research and speculate which strains of influenza are going to be rampant each year....and unfortunately, they get it wrong a lot. Here's some interesting info on flu vaccines:

http://www.flu.gov/prevention-vaccin...ion/index.html#
    Last edited by oceanloverOH; 12-13-2012 at 09:47 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oceanloverOH For This Useful Post:

KC (12-13-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanloverOH View Post
    Seriously, GRC....a killed vaccine can NOT give you the flu. I got a flu shot this year in October....and got the flu right after Thanksgiving. A different strain, of course. The medical researchers can only research and speculate which strains of influenza are going to be rampant each year....and unfortunately, they get it wrong a lot. Here's some interesting info on flu vaccines:

http://www.flu.gov/prevention-vaccin...ion/index.html#
    A vaccine can lower your immune system for a while- and you can catch something. When I was in active military service (including reserves) I had to get a flu shot. Now that I am inactive I don't have too. And I won't.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    oceanloverOH's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    A vaccine can lower your immune system for a while- and you can catch something. When I was in active military service (including reserves) I had to get a flu shot. Now that I am inactive I don't have too. And I won't.
    That's certainly true, about lowering your immune system temporarily. But Peter, all I can say for you is:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanloverOH View Post
    Basic training in 1987? Why, you're just a young little whippersnapper, Peter!

Back in the 70s when I started my military career, the military were used as "guinea pigs" for flu shots....we didn't have a choice; it was directed that you report for your flu shot. They used a live vaccine in those days, which CAN give you the flu (killed vaccines that they use nowadays cannot give you the flu). We were vaccinated quite early, in about August if I remember right. A certain percentage of troops got vaccinated for one strain, a certain percentage for another strain, etc. Then any side effects were reported before the civilian populace was offered a flu shot. My flu shot in 1976, I remember it well....within 30 minutes of injection, I started shaking and felt faint and burst into tears....my boss rushed me to the hospital. I spent 12 hours in the hospital being monitored for heart palpitations, high fever, vomiting, and severe tremors. After 12 hours, it suddenly stopped and I was fine. Guess which flu shot was not marketed that year? I was able to dodge my flu shot for the next several years because of that reaction, until they started using killed vaccine. To this day, I hate taking a flu shot.
    I wasn't even born until '89...

I can't imagine using a flu shot experiment like that. I mean, I know that kind of stuff happened but it blows my mind.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got some experimental shots before the Gulf War. They never made it into my official shot records.

+ Reply to Thread