Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I don’t care if a woman is walking around naked. Sexual assault is wrong regardless.
    He's not talking about assault.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I was complaining about the #MeToo movement to my trauma therapist and I was surprised when she said, verbatim, "Yeah, it is $#@!ing stupid." My complaint was that there are a lot of victims who can't participate for one reason or another, for example, if their family and friends do not know about their assault, abuse, or harassment. My therapist had a lot to say on the subject which I found interesting.

At any rate, I have posted statistics about the number of men who would assault a woman, especially if you change the wording and call it something different, which seems to ruffle feathers. I think that maybe men are in denial about it, but women are also in denial about the number of men that are victimized at some point. Bit of a two-way street.
    Thats a point I never thought of, what about all the regular gals out there that have been assaulted raped and abused that arent entertainers,
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I don’t care if a woman is walking around naked. Sexual assault is wrong regardless.
    I agree of course it is, but i didnt see where he mentioned sexual assault
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The issue that I have with some of these movements is how it becomes cliche as more and more people want to become a part of it, and also as it grows in size and notoriety it almost becomes a bit of a bullying mechanism. All women who are sexually abused and assaulted should never be discouraged from exposing predators and seeking justice, however, there are many more good men out there than there are predators and it would do these national movements some good to reinforce that fact, especially amongst teenage girls who should not assume all men could ultimately harm them. I would hope nobody would doubt my female and feminism credibility on here by saying what I’m saying, but there’s more to creating strong women in this country than just beating down the men.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (02-05-2018),Green Arrow (02-05-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue with a lot of this is, it can be slanderous and unprovable conjecture, especially if one waits months or even years before speaking up about an incident. Women aren't the only victims here, a lot of mens lives are ruined when someone lies and accuses them of something they didn't do.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    donttread wrote:
    Sex sell to both sexes.
    Ah, the age-old tried and untrue "she was asking for it" line of argument! I was wondering how long it would take for that to surface.

Green Arrow wrote:
    This.

Adelaide wrote:
    I was complaining about the #MeToo movement to my trauma therapist and I was surprised when she said, verbatim, "Yeah, it is $#@!ing stupid." My complaint was that there are a lot of victims who can't participate for one reason or another, for example, if their family and friends do not know about their assault, abuse, or harassment. My therapist had a lot to say on the subject which I found interesting.
    I hear you. I wish I knew a good way around that problem.

At any rate, I have posted statistics about the number of men who would assault a woman, especially if you change the wording and call it something different, which seems to ruffle feathers.
    I remember that one: it's been about one-third consistently since they starting polling on that subject in the late 1970s, as I recall.

I think that maybe men are in denial about it, but women are also in denial about the number of men that are victimized at some point. Bit of a two-way street.
    I think we are too. It looks to be about 10% of the total. I think there are some want to pretend that it's more like 0.1% and that's just silly. Still, this is in essence a gendered issue, particularly when you consider the fact that right about 100% of the accused (including by the males) are male, so I guess I just don't see it as wrong to discuss it as a form of sex discrimination against girls and women.

Chloe wrote:
    The issue that I have with some of these movements is how it becomes cliche as more and more people want to become a part of it, and also as it grows in size and notoriety it almost becomes a bit of a bullying mechanism.
    I don't know. The survey data suggests that 60% of the female population says they have been sexually harassed before, including 48% specifically at work, and 16-20% have been sexually assaulted. And that's just in this country. My point? This is quite a large-scale problem. Maybe then the frequency of allegations we've seen since the #MeToo hashtag became popularized then reflects not stereotyping, but a harsh reality.

All women who are sexually abused and assaulted should never be discouraged from exposing predators and seeking justice, however, there are many more good men out there than there are predators and it would do these national movements some good to reinforce that fact, especially amongst teenage girls who should not assume all men could ultimately harm them.
    What would you suggest?
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-05-2018 at 02:30 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (02-05-2018)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MrMike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 683x in 366 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Im taking a big chance of evoking Pollys rage, but ive never shied away from the tough stuff

A backlash to the Metoo movement has already started and its not an intentional thing to get back at women. Men are beginning to take extraordinary steps to protect themselves. CEOs will not be in a room alone with females of any rank from top execs to secretaries, they want a witness. Meetings with women and men one on one are going to be a thing of the past.

Womens groups have become alarmed that male run venues and companies will by pass hiring women because of the MeToo movement to make their business lives easier and less stressful

Every action has a reaction, the MeToo movement when it was outing weinstein and other serial abusers and rapists was fantastic and they deserved too be outed, but like all other movements its now moved into the realm of overkill. The reaction to the action here will be men taking great strides to protect themselves and that wont be good for women in the long run.
    All fair points. Well done.

+ Reply to Thread