Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Alienist Part 2

Ok, watched episode # 3 of this strange but addicting program. One thought I came away with is if Dakota Fanning is going to considered for an acting award she needs to revert to type and start hyperventilating. Her range of emotion cover from dead to deader. Perhaps the role, to not be able to determine any of her motives or thoughts on any subject at all. Is she in love with the doctor, is she in love with the artist, is she a lesbian. She tells her friend she is in love with a doctor but then we see a scene when she is about to have a relationship with the artist. Who knows, I don't.<br>
    <br>
    Anyway, one also gets the impression that not only was electric lighting not wide spread in NYC in 1895 but it appears sunlight had not been discovered either. I understand a lot of the "action" occurs at night because that is when the murders are committed but they are not moles, they can come out in the sunlight on occasion can't they?<br>
    <br>
    I don't think the series is glorifying "boy $#@!s" or transvestites. I think it is looking at two things, the vice and corruption in NYC government at the time (have things changed??) and the fact that no one cared if these young men were murdered or not.<br>
    <br>
    Next episode Trish, Fanning will either admit she is actually in love with the artist mother or the artist will admit he is attracted to nubile young men. Or maybe none of that will happen. Thomas Edison will pay a visit to the city and shout "Let there be light"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Trish (02-06-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Ok, watched episode # 3 of this strange but addicting program. One thought I came away with is if Dakota Fanning is going to considered for an acting award she needs to revert to type and start hyperventilating. Her range of emotion cover from dead to deader. Perhaps the role, to not be able to determine any of her motives or thoughts on any subject at all. Is she in love with the doctor, is she in love with the artist, is she a lesbian. She tells her friend she is in love with a doctor but then we see a scene when she is about to have a relationship with the artist. Who knows, I don't.<br>

I agree with your assessment about DFanning. I've never been over the top impressed with her acting. As you say, it seems flat. I know that women were expected to be subdued back then but someone needs to check her pulse.

I don't think she'll hook up with the artist dude. She's a bit warped so I think she'd be more suited for the nutty doctor. BUT the mute has her eyes set on him herself. Plus in episode 2 she seemed to be eyeing up her competition (DFanning). Remember her reaction when she walked into the room and dropped the tea cup. I took that as a way to draw attention.
    <br>
    Anyway, one also gets the impression that not only was electric lighting not wide spread in NYC in 1895 but it appears sunlight had not been discovered either. I understand a lot of the "action" occurs at night because that is when the murders are committed but they are not moles, they can come out in the sunlight on occasion can't they?<br>

Hahahahahaha - yeah, the weather seems to be more aligned with London.
    <br>
    I don't think the series is glorifying "boy $#@!s" or transvestites. I think it is looking at two things, the vice and corruption in NYC government at the time (have things changed??) and the fact that no one cared if these young men were murdered or not.<br>

I agree. Corruption still exists and so do those who are easily forgotten.
    <br>
    Next episode Trish, Fanning will either admit she is actually in love with the artist mother or the artist will admit he is attracted to nubile young men. Or maybe none of that will happen. Thomas Edison will pay a visit to the city and shout "Let there be light"
    Well you may be right about the artist because the writers eluded to the fact that he was "taken advantage" but he didn't seem all that uncomfortable from suggested activities. wink, wink.....

I'm rooting for Tom to show up and shed some light on the situation. hahahahaha

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (02-06-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Fanning was a "child star" I always thought she was just a whinny little pain in the butt. Her role in War of the Worlds left me thinking, just put the little brat out on the side of the road, that'll run the Martians off. I think her sister is a much more accomplished actress.

I think the series is designed to show we all have a dark side and seek to howl at the moon.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I watched it. Even took notes

Observations
    (1) Everyone in NYC in the 1880's was a degenerate

(2) Considering the press attacks on Roosevelt were they really as big a dick heads then as they are now?

(3) Obviously the police think they know who is behind the child murders but are doing nothing. Do they not care if these kids die? Given the overall theme of the program I think that is the attitude we are to believe.

(4) Fanning was relegated to a minor role in this episode, a messenger and little else. Will she now throw a hissy fit in the next one?

(5) Can it get even more PC? The last victim was not only a transvestite but also an immigrant from the Middle East who was sold into slavery to a white woman no less.'

(6) Where have I been. Tonight was the first time I noticed the good doctor had a handicap. Is that significant?

(7) Is this program actually shot in black and white? I don't recall seeing any colors, even in the 30 second's spent in the park between the doctor and fanning.

(8) Would the treatment for syphilis turn your teeth silver?

Your turn

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,899x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The silver smile was from mercury, used in treatment for syphilis back then.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The silver smile was from mercury, used in treatment for syphilis back then.
    That was certainly a case of the cure was worse than the disease wouldn't you think?

I would also think the "man with the silver smile" would die soon from the mercury treatment.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That was certainly a case of the cure was worse than the disease wouldn't you think?

I would also think the "man with the silver smile" would die soon from the mercury treatment.
    Definitely!
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question

It was widely known that mercury was used in the treatment of syphilis and it was also widely known the effects would turn your teeth silver why did it take so long for the doctor and photographer to figure that out?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Question

It was widely known that mercury was used in the treatment of syphilis and it was also widely known the effects would turn your teeth silver why did it take so long for the doctor and photographer to figure that out?
    My impression was the silver smile effect wasn't so well known. Sometimes, though, the obvious is hard to see.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another episode tonight. Pop quiz tomorrow. Be ready.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Chris (02-26-2018)

+ Reply to Thread