User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Might one of you more intelligent tpf members help ol Ransom out?

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,083x in 10,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Dr. Who has no illusions about the selfish or ignorant complicity of some parents in the sexual abuse of their children. I think I've mentioned before that I've handled a lot of child sexual abuse claims, even class actions, involving characters like Nassar.
    Your angle important here then, Dr. Who. These situations, the many child abuse claims, the class actions....these aren't unknowns in today's American society. Are not men with this access to these many girls, doesn't it reason that we'd be under even further scrutiny....because of issues from Catholic Priests to predator teachers?

Just saying.....should this be 2......12.......even 20 girls that were being abused without any hint, without mentioning anything to parents, that might be believable. 265.....uhhh......I mean you're the expert Who. How in the world do hundreds of girls get abused without Doc Sicko becoming a known entity?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You're response is to something I didn't say. If the parents know it's on them not the girls.

Little kids will be quiet aboyt sexual abuse for fear of being unbelieved; for embarrassment; for confusion. Adult women don't report 2/3 of rapes and you think these little girls would? Wow.
    Of course it's not on the kids. There is no requirement for them to report, they are kids. Even the one who was 20 when he first abused her did nothing wrong by saying nothing. But no way this guys rep wasn't known by many of the other adults within the sport.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Ransom (02-10-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Who has no illusions about the selfish or ignorant complicity of some parents in the sexual abuse of their children. I think I've mentioned before that I've handled a lot of child sexual abuse claims, even class actions, involving characters like Nassar.

The high level gymnastics group must be a fairly small community. Many adults within the "community" knew but cannot face down that fact now. I loved sports but the further you get from the sandlot where they are played for pure love of the game, time with friends, running because you can and being outside..... the more corrupt the sport becomes with money, benefits and fame the typical corrupters

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,291
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Your angle important here then, Dr. Who. These situations, the many child abuse claims, the class actions....these aren't unknowns in today's American society. Are not men with this access to these many girls, doesn't it reason that we'd be under even further scrutiny....because of issues from Catholic Priests to predator teachers?

Just saying.....should this be 2......12.......even 20 girls that were being abused without any hint, without mentioning anything to parents, that might be believable. 265.....uhhh......I mean you're the expert Who. How in the world do hundreds of girls get abused without Doc Sicko becoming a known entity?
    Usually through a combination of parents that discount their kids' stories and authorities that refuse to believe the parents that go to them with the complaints. If I had to guess in this situation, the older teens, after one creepy episode with this doctor, probably refused to let him touch them again and went to some other doctor for their athletic injuries. Word gets around among teens and many probably gave him a wide berth. The little kids would have been more vulnerable to repeat abuse and would have been less likely to be able to properly articulate what he was doing and thus would be less likely to be believed.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

donttread (02-10-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do we need a specific doc for gymnyst?

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,658x in 1,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    The high level gymnastics group must be a fairly small community. Many adults within the "community" knew but cannot face down that fact now. I loved sports but the further you get from the sandlot where they are played for pure love of the game, time with friends, running because you can and being outside..... the more corrupt the sport becomes with money, benefits and fame the typical corrupters
    Its the Jon Benet Ramsey Syndrome!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually through a combination of parents that discount their kids' stories and authorities that refuse to believe the parents that go to them with the complaints. If I had to guess in this situation, the older teens, after one creepy episode with this doctor, probably refused to let him touch them again and went to some other doctor for their athletic injuries. Word gets around among teens and many probably gave him a wide berth. The little kids would have been more vulnerable to repeat abuse and would have been less likely to be able to properly articulate what he was doing and thus would be less likely to be believed.
    Any chance this will be brought out about the , must have known parents, or will that part get swept under the rug with a few coaches playing scapgoat for all?

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmeister View Post
    I heard commentary during this whole drama saying exactly one of your points, that parents were afraid to confront because they worried about their kid being blackballed thereby ending their dreams of Olympic gold etc. My take on this is that most of these parents are "stage" parents in the worst sense of the word. That by no means minimizes what this scumbag did but there would appear to be some culpability on the part of parents who at the very least weren't paying too much attention.
    I tend to agree here. One of the girls (now a woman) stated she'd told her parents but they ignored her thinking she was just trying to get out of the work.

Unless the parents knew their girls were being molested, I can't see how they can be charged, but I can see why many of those girls might never want to talk to their parents again.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,291
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance this will be brought out about the , must have known parents, or will that part get swept under the rug with a few coaches playing scapgoat for all?
    It might well be raised by the defense in the individual civil suits that will now follow, in terms of the apportionment of liability. However, if the suits end up being consolidated in a class action, then it's unlikely, since not every child who was abused informed a parent. USA Gymnastics, Michigan State University and the US Olympic Committee will be the target defendants.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,429x in 94,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do we need a specific doc for gymnyst?
    Why do football teams have their own doctors?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread