Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,293x in 4,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    By only using the word "supply", I think I gave the wrong impression. It also has to do with easy availability and promotion. My statement was that as fast food restaurants gradually increased, more and more people became overweight and obese. There was also a gradual proliferation of large supermarkets around that same time.

You say there is already an abundant supply of drugs now. Well, back when I was a kid, people were able to get their hands on processed foods (i.e. fast food) it just wasn't fast and trendy. For example, people could make hot dogs and hamburgers, pancakes or waffles, pizza and fried potatoes, ice cream and many other processed foods in their own home. As I said, it just wasn't fast, trendy and easily available. I say easily available because if I wanted to buy drugs today, for example, I have no idea where I would need to go to accomplish that, and I would worry about being in legal jeopardy.

If people can't be trusted with food to the point where we now have 2/3 of the population either overweight or obese, I see no indication that they can be trusted with drugs.
    I agree that the ease of availability would increase, as being legal would make it possible for drug stores (or whatever outlet) to carry them. it would also make it much easier to know exactly what you are getting (thus eliminating the risk of Fentnyl or other things to be mixed in with it). That said, if you were someone who wanted a drug, you could pretty easily find it in the black market now. no, there arent specific stores, instead, they come to you (often).

Your comparison of legalizing drugs and the rise in popularity of fast food restaurants and therefore obesity is quite a stretch. For one, if drug were suddenly legalized, would you start up a habit, just because? Have you travelled to Colorado or Washington so that you can start smoking pot? I am guessing not, and I think that applies to most people. I am sure there are a few that will do that, but nothing we have seen from the states that have legalized pot have shown it to be a real issue. Unfortunately, that is the only real world info we have in the US as far as the effects of legalizing a drug. If we look to other countries though, they haven't had that problem either.

Now as to your comparison to fast food, first off, food is a necessity, so everyone has to eat. Second, as society has evolved into situations where we have both parents working, or single parents working 2 jobs, people just don't have the time to make quality food. It is far easier to stop at a McDonald's on the way home, or grab an over processed whatever out of the freezer and have an instant dinner. these choices are being made out of necessity, IMO, but harmful none the less. I do fail however, to see the connection between people choosing an easy route in their choices for food, and drug use rising based on legalization, unless you think the very fact of them being illegal is stopping a large amount of people from using. I have seen no evidence to back that up.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always heard that seatbelts save lives. You mean that's not true?
    Yes they do. Here's the difference: Smart people wear seatbelts. Stupid people don't. Mandatory seatbelt laws save the stupid from themselves so they can breed more stupid people. Got it?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,639x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    I agree that the ease of availability would increase, as being legal would make it possible for drug stores (or whatever outlet) to carry them. it would also make it much easier to know exactly what you are getting (thus eliminating the risk of Fentnyl or other things to be mixed in with it). That said, if you were someone who wanted a drug, you could pretty easily find it in the black market now. no, there arent specific stores, instead, they come to you (often).

Your comparison of legalizing drugs and the rise in popularity of fast food restaurants and therefore obesity is quite a stretch. For one, if drug were suddenly legalized, would you start up a habit, just because? Have you travelled to Colorado or Washington so that you can start smoking pot? I am guessing not, and I think that applies to most people. I am sure there are a few that will do that, but nothing we have seen from the states that have legalized pot have shown it to be a real issue. Unfortunately, that is the only real world info we have in the US as far as the effects of legalizing a drug. If we look to other countries though, they haven't had that problem either.

Now as to your comparison to fast food, first off, food is a necessity, so everyone has to eat. Second, as society has evolved into situations where we have both parents working, or single parents working 2 jobs, people just don't have the time to make quality food. It is far easier to stop at a McDonald's on the way home, or grab an over processed whatever out of the freezer and have an instant dinner. these choices are being made out of necessity, IMO, but harmful none the less. I do fail however, to see the connection between people choosing an easy route in their choices for food, and drug use rising based on legalization, unless you think the very fact of them being illegal is stopping a large amount of people from using. I have seen no evidence to back that up.
    It would decrease OD's more than it would increase availability. How many cities are goig around saying something like "we've cut drug access in half" LOL

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drug addiction and food addicton:

Keep an open mind, I'm going to make the case that drug addiction and food addiction are very similar.

How food addiction takes hold: A lot of people (at least 2/3 of the population) get a great deal of pleasure by consuming high calorie processed foods. High fat and/or sugary foods are very seductive, no one doubts that, right? Large food companies hire scientists specifically to make food as seductive as possible and they're very good at it.

So the trap is set: Fast food is everywhere - it's in restaurants, supermarkets and eventually it may end up in your refrigerator. Fast food addiction, as with alcohol and drugs, starts out innocently; you just want to relax and have some fun/enjoyment. Or sometimes people are drawn to it because it's quick and easy and fits well into their busy schedule.

Food addiction seems to follow the same path as drug or alcohol addiction. The need for your drug of choice seems to increase gradually over a period of time.

What happens when your percentage of body fat goes from 15% to 20% or 30% to 35%? You're hooked. You're addicted because once you increase your percentage of body fat, fat cells stimulate food-cravings. Fat cells are living cells like any other cells in your body, they need to be fed. And if you don't consume enough high calorie foods to satisfy all of your cells, you'll be hungry all the time. So your body develops a dependence for a high level of calorie intake, which is similar to a drug users craving for drugs.

Obesity has increased from 13% in 1972 to 35% in 2012. Kids who were born after the proliferation of fast foods in the environment, grew up seeing and thinking of fast food as normal food.
    The need for convenience may be a part of it, but today there are healthier packaged foods that can be prepared at home in minutes. (Too late now for many who are already overweight.)

The point is this: If drugs are legalized, many kids will grow up thinking of drug use as normal behavior. So it may take a decade or two before it is seen as a problem. That's what happened with obesity and drugs are likely to follow a similar pattern.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 02-19-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an open mind, I'm going to make the case that drug addiction and food addiction are very similar.

How food addiction takes hold: A lot of people (at least 2/3 of the population) get a great deal of pleasure by consuming high calorie processed foods. High fat and/or sugary foods are very seductive, no one doubts that, right? Large food companies hire scientists specifically to make food as seductive as possible and they're very good at it.

So the trap is set: Fast food is everywhere - it's in restaurants, supermarkets and eventually it may end up in your refrigerator. Fast food addiction, as with alcohol and drugs, starts out innocently; you just want to relax and have some fun/enjoyment. Or sometimes people are drawn to it because it's quick and easy and fits well into their busy schedule.

Food addiction seems to follow the same path as drug or alcohol addiction. The need for your drug of choice seems to increase gradually over a period of time.

What happens when your percentage of body fat goes from 15% to 20% or 30% to 35%? You're hooked. You're addicted because once you increase your percentage of body fat, fat cells stimulate food-cravings. Fat cells are living cells like any other cells in your body, they need to be fed. And if you don't consume enough high calorie foods to satisfy all of your cells, you'll be hungry all the time. So your body develops a dependence for a high level of calorie intake, which is similar to a drug users craving for drugs.

Obesity has increased from 13% in 1972 to 35% in 2012. Kids who were born after the proliferation of fast foods in the environment, grew up seeing and thinking of fast food as normal food.
    The need for convenience may be a part of it, but today there are healthier packaged foods that can be prepared at home in minutes. (Too late now for many who are already overweight.)

The point is this: If drugs are legalized, many kids will grow up thinking of drug use as normal behavior. So it may take a decade or two before it is seen as a problem. That's what happened with obesity and drugs are likely to follow a similar pattern.
    Drug use IS normal. Look around you. Alcohol. Tobacco. Sugar. Caffine. Shooting up can be legal as all hell and only a fraction of the population will do so. What about mom and's prescritpion and OTC pain killers,sleeping pills and anti-anxiety meds?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an open mind, I'm going to make the case that drug addiction and food addiction are very similar....

....The point is this: If drugs are legalized, many kids will grow up thinking of drug use as normal behavior. So it may take a decade or two before it is seen as a problem. That's what happened with obesity and drugs are likely to follow a similar pattern.
    Translation: People must be protected from themselves. We need Elites in Washington to decide what is best for us and what is bad for us.

Sorry, but that's not the kind of country in which I wish to live.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

donttread (02-19-2018),Peter1469 (02-19-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,379x in 27,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    Translation: People must be protected from themselves. We need Elites in Washington to decide what is best for us and what is bad for us.

Sorry, but that's not the kind of country in which I wish to live.
    Where will you be moving to?

Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Where will you be moving to?

Standing and fighting is not moving. I'll leave that to you.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,141x in 907 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Heroin, cocaine, meth, crack are all CHEMICALLY made drugs
    Black tar heroin is natural.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
    Black tar heroin is natural.

Heroin is a synthetic opiod that got it's name because being "non addictive" it would be the heroic cure for "soldiers disease" or rampant Morphine addiction following the Civil War . Those plans and it's "non addictiveness " didn't work out as well. Black tar is deadly but fentnol is a huge killer now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-20-2018)

+ Reply to Thread