Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dozens Of Dog Food Brands Recalled After Euthanasia Drug Found

After an investigation reportedly uncovered a drug used for euthanizing animals inside various brands of dog food, a massive recall has been issued by multiple companies. The J.M. Smucker Company issued a voluntary recall of several types of their “Gravy Train,” “Kibbles ‘N Bits,” and “Skippy” wet dog food products. In a memo to retailers, obtained by TruthAboutPetFood.com, J.M. Smucker said the move was being made “because a minor ingredient may contain low levels of pentobarbital.”
    Pentobarbital is a sedative used to treat insomnia but can also induce death when given in large doses. The sedative is a known euthanasia drug given to pets when they are put to sleep. Smucker’s memo claims that the amount detected was “extremely low” and did not pose a risk to pets, however, its presence was “not acceptable.”
    RECALL ALERT: Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘N Bits, & Skippy Dog Foods Recalled Due to Presence of Euthanasia Drug https://t.co/KX1z9gdeOz pic.twitter.com/IRqz40pto0
    — Walk-Me Pet Services (@walkmesurrey) February 15, 2018
    According to reports, 60 percent of Gravy Train samples in an independent test came back positive for pentobarbital. “Please know our internal investigation into this situation is ongoing. We take this very seriously and are extremely disappointed that pentobarbital was introduced to our supply chain,” Gravy Train officials said in a statement after 10 different types of the brand were recalled.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/...ll-euthanasia/
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I had just finished feeding our dogs almost a whole case of Gravy Train canned food once when they issued a recall that included my lot number. Didn't make the dogs sick though. Usually by the time these things go out, the product has been sold and consumed.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,576x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend a lot of money for food for my cats. If it turned out to be a scam, I would take specific concern for those responsible. They would need to get their affairs in order.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Mister D (02-16-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dog is 13 for the first 5 yrs I bought his food at the vets office. Then they started selling it in pet stores. Its always listed as one of the better foods, Nutra, now we give him Nutra for Seniors. Hes a little guy so its not expensive.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,931x in 8,809 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raw feed my dog. No dog food. I don't trust the manufacturers - they are all slime buckets looking to save a penny or two by outsourcing an ingredient to some offshore entity that could care less whether people's pets live or die. How in the freaking world does phenobarbital end up in dog food? Perhaps because they are using dead lab animals or euthanized strays for pet food? I wonder how much of that food is really dog and cat meat?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-15-2018),Safety (02-15-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I raw feed my dog. No dog food. I don't trust the manufacturers - they are all slime buckets looking to save a penny or two by outsourcing an ingredient to some offshore entity that could care less whether people's pets live or die. How in the freaking world does phenobarbital end up in dog food? Perhaps because they are using dead lab animals or euthanized strays for pet food? I wonder how much of that food is really dog and cat meat?
    This is what my Vet says the top brands of foods are tested often and made in america.
    Feeding a dog yourself you have to make sure things they need are included and its not straight human food.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    This is what my Vet says the top brands of foods are tested often and made in america.
    Feeding a dog yourself you have to make sure things they need are included and its not straight human food.
    I've been raw feeding my dog for 17 years. He's healthy and I don't supplement his food with anything but Milk Bones. He get's human quality raw beef, veal and lamb, plus all the cartilage off of cooked chicken and turkey and any fish skin we don't want. He gets a little rice and noodles occasionally because he likes them. He's never been overweight, never been a garbage can and never been sick. There are some weeds in the backyard he likes to eat in the summer and he will occasionally eat some leftover vegetables, but not often. When we eat steak, he gets the fatty bits.

Dogs survived for millennia on leftovers from the human camps. Pet food is a relatively recent invention and has caused more disease and obesity in pets than was ever evident in pets before. Vets are told what to believe by the pet food and pharmaceutical companies.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Kacper (02-15-2018),Peter1469 (02-15-2018),Safety (02-15-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been raw feeding my dog for 17 years. He's healthy and I don't supplement his food with anything but Milk Bones. He get's human quality raw beef, veal and lamb, plus all the cartilage off of cooked chicken and turkey and any fish skin we don't want. He gets a little rice and noodles occasionally because he likes them. He's never been overweight, never been a garbage can and never been sick. There are some weeds in the backyard he likes to eat in the summer and he will occasionally eat some leftover vegetables, but not often. When we eat steak, he gets the fatty bits.

Dogs survived for millennia on leftovers from the human camps. Pet food is a relatively recent invention and has caused more disease and obesity in pets than was ever evident in pets before. Vets are told what to believe by the pet food and pharmaceutical companies.
    Max is 13 never gets table food other than chicken and turkey and an egg now and then, we given him one type of dog food from day one and hes never been sick. Hes never been to the vet other than his yearly checkup and shots. We give him heartworm medicine and tick and flea meds all year round in fla. Hes still frisky I play with him every day and I love the little guy to death. Hes always with me in the house where ever I go.

LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I more or less do that with my current dog but she sometimes goes on binges of eating the canned cat food to spite the cats which usually makes her sick at some point. She's old now. When people give me the "You aren't supposed to give them human food!!!" I give them the "She is two years past her life expectancy and still running about like a puppy most days"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Max is 13 never gets table food other than chicken and turkey and an egg now and then, we given him one type of dog food from day one and hes never been sick. Hes never been to the vet other than his yearly checkup and shots. We give him heartworm medicine and tick and flea meds all year round in fla. Hes still frisky I play with him every day and I love the little guy to death. Hes always with me in the house where ever I go.
    I'm glad that your Max has been healthy on pet food, but I simply don't trust the pet food companies. I had dogs that lived long lives in the past on pet food and then suddenly the pet food changed and they found melamine in it. I think that adversely affected one of my dogs and I vowed never to trust pet food again.

Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread