Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,583x in 26,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Slob View Post
    That doesn't really have anything to do with the thread. The Kochs are private citizens and Americans, not members of a foreign government.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except with Trump. He's doing the work of tearing down the confidence in our media, which was never blind, and in the independence of the FBI and DOJ. We have a foreign governemnt which seems from all his actions to be controlling the decisions made by the president of the US.
    Trump was elected in large part because Americans had no confidence in the mainstream media to begin with, and the FBI and DOJ have been used as political weapons for as long as they have existed. In any case, I don't see what this has to do with the point I brought up in the OP. Even if Trump is somehow "colluding" with Russia, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Virtually every politician in Washington DC is being strongly influenced by foreign powers.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,498x in 1,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'US Political Class' a new bogeyman, who are they I wonder, name names, you got any? It sounds like you are referring to the republican party today? I agree with you in a certain sense, but I'm not sure it is so simple to label or even define. I often think of this Alex Carey quote, "The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." The great depression created what is called the welfare state, I wouldn't use that word but it has helped to transform democracy into a plutocratic oligarchy or some word like that. lol

These books tell the story:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nvisible-hands
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land

"Not only does there seem to be widespread social fragmentation and disillusionment with democracy in the United States, but the possibility of reversing this sense of alienation appears to many of us to be already lost. Any democratic president who wants to institute the desperately needed reforms in health, welfare and the environment faces one of two options. He can stick by his reform program and suffer a loss of public confidence through orchestrated campaigns to publicly portray him as 'too liberal' and ineffectual (the Carter image) or too indecisive or sexually indiscreet (the Clinton image). Alternatively, a reforming democratic president can move further to the Right, forget his promises and become part of the propaganda campaign. Given the history of democratic propaganda in the United States, some of us doubt that another Roosevelt or New Deal is possible. The political system is now so attuned to business interests that this kind of reformer could no longer institute the substantial health, welfare, education, environmental and employment reforms the country needs." Andrew Lohrey, Introduction, Alex Carey "Taking the Risk Out of Democracy"
    Last edited by midcan5; 02-18-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,587x in 36,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    The 'US Political Class' a new bogeyman, who are they I wonder, name names, you got any? It sounds like you are referring to the republican party today? I agree with you in a certain sense, but I'm not sure it is so simple to label or even define. I often think of this Alex Carey quote, "The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." The great depression created what is called the welfare state, I wouldn't use that word but it has worked to transform democracy into plutocratic oligarchy or some word like that. lol

These books tell the story:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nvisible-hands
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27833494-dark-money
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...their-own-land

"Not only does there seem to be widespread social fragmentation and disillusionment with democracy in the United States, but the possibility of reversing this sense of alienation appears to many of us to be already lost. Any democratic president who wants to institute the desperately needed reforms in health, welfare and the environment faces one of two options. He can stick by his reform program and suffer a loss of public confidence through orchestrated campaigns to publicly portray him as 'too liberal' and ineffectual (the Carter image) or too indecisive or sexually indiscreet (the Clinton image). Alternatively, a reforming democratic president can move further to the Right, forget his promises and become part of the propaganda campaign. Given the history of democratic propaganda in the United States, some of us doubt that another Roosevelt or New Deal is possible. The political system is now so attuned to business interests that this kind of reformer could no longer institute the substantial health, welfare, education, environmental and employment reforms the country needs." Andrew Lohrey, Introduction, Alex Carey "Taking the Risk Out of Democracy"
    Has Hillary Clinton avatar. Asks what the political class refers to and even asks for names. LOL
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (02-19-2018),hanger4 (02-18-2018),MisterVeritis (02-19-2018),Tahuyaman (02-18-2018)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,645x in 56,028 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Except with Trump. He's doing the work of tearing down the confidence in our media, which was never blind, and in the independence of the FBI and DOJ. We have a foreign governemnt which seems from all his actions to be controlling the decisions made by the president of the US.
    The media has destroyed their own credibility with the American people. . They have aided and abetted the corruption of the political establishment and our supposed most trusted government institutions. Trump simply publicly states what every informed person already knew. Even you if you could be honest for once.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,663x in 1,297 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The KOCH agenda is in full bloom, and has hijacked the Trump presidency. They run most of the Stink tanks that Rethugs get their marching orders from. Pure corporatist hackery, and out to destroy democracy as we know it!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    The biggest threat to American democracy is from within. The US political class use foreign bogeymen as distractions and paths towards personal enrichment.
    The American democracy is under any threat. It is alive and well. If there was a threat, Trump wouldn't be president would he? Being a cynic must be hard to keep up. You use good arguments that don't add up.

Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,402x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    The KOCH agenda is in full bloom, and has hijacked the Trump presidency. They run most of the Stink tanks that Rethugs get their marching orders from. Pure corporatist hackery, and out to destroy democracy as we know it!
    What is the Koch agenda? Please use your own words.
    What are Stink tanks?
    What are Rethugs?
    What country operates as a democracy?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,663x in 1,297 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    What is the Koch agenda? Please use your own words.
    What are Stink tanks?
    What are Rethugs?
    What country operates as a democracy?
    I can't teach you these things, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.
    Google is your friend!

Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    The American democracy is under any threat. It is alive and well. If there was a threat, Trump wouldn't be president would he? Being a cynic must be hard to keep up. You use good arguments that don't add up.
    Yea, democracy is in such good shape that Donald Trump got elected president. Who can argue with that.

Anyway, even if you believe Trump is an example of democracy winning, just look at how the establishment has reacted to him winning. They are basically trying to overthrow him through a soft coup. Not very democratic, is it?
    --John Adams

+ Reply to Thread