User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the-russian-journalist-who-helped-uncover-election-meddling-is-confounded-by-the-muel

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,640
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the-russian-journalist-who-helped-uncover-election-meddling-is-confounded-by-the-muel

I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-19-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn It.....wont let me read it. Post up some Juicy Bits.....always remember to post up a couple of important parts so that the leftness cant look for an alternate reality. Or go off into the Twilight Zone.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (02-19-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its working for me. I re-posted it.

WorldViews Analysis

The Russian journalist who helped uncover election interference is confounded by the Mueller indictments

By Adam Taylor February 18 Email the author
    2:47

Rosenstein announces indictment of 13 Russian suspects

Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein announces the indictment of 13 Russians linked to a troll farm as part of the special counsel investigation. (The Washington Post)

A 37-page indictment issued by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s team on Friday brings fresh American attention to one of the strangest elements of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election: The Internet Research Agency (IRA), a state-sponsored “troll factory” in St. Petersburg.
    But much of the information Mueller published on Friday about the agency’s efforts to influence the election had already been published last October — in an article by a Russian business magazine, RBC.
    In a 4,500-word report titled “How the 'troll factory' worked the U.S. elections,” journalists Polina Rusyaeva and Andrey Zakharov offered the fullest picture yet of how the “American department” of the IRA used Facebook, Twitter and other tactics to inflame tensions ahead of the 2016 vote. The article also looked at the staffing structure of the organization and revealed details about its budget and salaries.
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

Zakharov agreed to answer some questions for WorldViews about his reaction to the details about the IRA in Mueller’s indictments (Rusyaeva left journalism after the story came out, although she stresses she did not do so because of a reaction to the story). Zakharov explained how it was a strange feeling seeing something he had so closely investigated become a major issue in the United States, when it had not been a “bombshell” when he published his report at home.
    3:37

What we know about Russia's cyber tactics

Here's what we know about the Kremlin's playbook for creating division in the U.S. (Jenny Starrs/The Washington Post)

The transcript below has been edited for length and clarity.
    WorldViews: You’ve read the Mueller document. What was your reaction to it?

Andrey Zakharov: Well, of all the people who are mentioned there, only some people were the real top managers of the troll factory.
    Like [Mikhail] Bystrov, who’s been the head of all its legal entities for a long time. He’s a former policeman. Another guy is [Mikhail] Burchik. We wrote about him. He was the executive director of the troll factory for a long time. And the last guy is Jeyhun Aslanov. He was and I think he’s still with the head of American department.
    Both Aslanov and Burchik always denied that had something in common with the factory, Bystrov never commented it.
    The other staff mentioned are very incidental. I mean, it seems like they put down all the names they could get. Some were people who worked there in 2014 — but most of these guys didn’t work for the troll factory for a long time. They didn’t even work there during the elections. Like Krylova, she didn’t work there then. [Aleksandra Krylova is one of the two named Internet Research Agency employees the indictment said traveled to the United States in 2014.]

It looks like they just took some employees from the that American department whose names they could get. But the American department was like 90 people. So my reaction was that, for me, it was like that curious list of oligarchs and Kremlin authorities where they put the whole Forbes list and the whole Kremlin administration on it. It’s very strange.
    I was also very surprised that they wrote private about the private messages of one girl [Irina Kaverzina]. She wrote to relatives that FBI is following them and so on. I think they read her emails. I was very surprised by that. But generally, they seem to have got people who were not careful — who used their own email accounts or registered Twitter accounts to Russian phone numbers.
    WV: I saw some people on social media who suggested that the Mueller team must have read your report. Do you think that’s true?
    AZ: That they read it? Probably. Some of your U.S. colleagues used to contact me. Maybe some of them worked for your government, I don’t know. Nobody who said they were from Mueller’s team contacted me. I’ve never told people more than we wrote anyway.

WV: What was it that made you feel it was time to do a big investigation into the American section of the troll factory?
    AZ: In March we investigated the troll factory but at that time we focused on another part of it — its work setting up official media agencies. At the end we wrote that the troll factory worked before and after the U.S. elections, and we put some statistics like 15 million likes and shares in one week and some details of the stories they were sharing. Then we forgot about the story.
    But when Facebook and Twitter announced at the beginning of September that they closed a lot of accounts, your colleagues started to write to us about whether we knew more about this activity. We decided that everybody is so interested in the story, we should make a second investigation. We reviewed what we had uncovered in March, got some more information and wrote it.
    WV: Is it difficult to report on?
    AZ: For us it was easier. I lived in St. Petersburg before and worked as a journalist there. Russian media has been covering the troll factory since 2013, long before the big investigation in the New York Times Magazine — and by the way, most of the things in that were just taken from my colleagues.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to texan For This Useful Post:

MMC (02-19-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Says I have to be a member of WAPO. Still can't read it.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may be confounded, but he seems to validate what Mueller discovered.

+ Reply to Thread