Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,404x in 14,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    What about if the company goes to terminate your employment? does the union have an obligation to represent you?

No and in some cases Union contracts call for a period of full pay if you are laid off, and non union member don't qualify for that either.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (02-19-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    No and in some cases Union contracts call for a period of full pay if you are laid off, and non union member don't qualify for that either.
    well that seems fair to me if they are not members of the union.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

zelmo1234 (02-19-2018)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    well that seems fair to me if they are not members of the union.
    I agree, you don't get the benefit if you don't pay the dues. Fair is Fair.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zelmo1234 For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (02-19-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before agency shop was law and you didnt have to join public unions the average was 3% didnt join. The revenue increase was minimal back then, today it could be different.

Theres some other things none consider when they think this law will kill Unions. The only thing you benefit by if you are not in the Union paying dues, is contracts, you get what union members get from negotiations.

However, if you are a cop, fireman, teacher, you get NO paid legal representation if you get caught up in the $#@!. That alone can cost you many thousands, you get no disciplinary assistance at all. Public workers involved in discipline have a Union officer trained in disciplinary procedure to defend you or if necessary you are provided a lawyer. All that goes away and that is significant if you are in one of the 3 categories about especially.

Today I have no idea how many they will lose nor do I care, Im passing information that I know to be fact
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Before agency shop was law and you didnt have to join public unions the average was 3% didnt join. The revenue increase was minimal back then, today it could be different.
    Theres some other things none consider when they think this law will kill Unions. The only thing you benefit by if you are not in the Union paying dues, is contracts, you get what union members get from negotiations.

However, if you are a cop, fireman, teacher, you get NO paid legal representation if you get caught up in the $#@!. That alone can cost you many thousands, you get no disciplinary assistance at all. Public workers involved in discipline have a Union officer trained in disciplinary procedure to defend you or if necessary you are provided a lawyer. All that goes away and that is significant if you are in one of the 3 categories about especially.

Today I have no idea how many they will lose nor do I care, Im passing information that I know to be fact
    My son stays in the law enforcement union for that reason.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    Thank God. If the USSC decides as expected, organized crime DNC partners and fundraisers, labor unions, particularly public sector unions, will no longer be able to arbitrarily extort employees wages against their will. This will be a critical blow to the already-cash strapped DNC, which has long enjoyed seizing the assets of Americans forced to join unions.

It's about time:

Gorsuch deciding vote in key labor union funding case

WASHINGTON (AP) — America's union leaders are about to find out if they were right to fiercely oppose Neil Gorsuch's nomination to the Supreme Court as a pivotal, potentially devastating vote against organized labor.

The newest justice holds the deciding vote in a case to be argued Feb. 26 that could affect the financial viability of unions that are major supporters of Democratic candidates and causes. The unions represent more than 5 million government workers in 24 states and the District of Columbia who could be affected by the outcome. The other eight justices split 4 to 4 when the issue was last at the court in 2016.

The court is being asked to jettison a 41-year-old ruling that allows states to require government employees who don't want to be union members to pay for their share of activities the union undertakes on behalf of all workers, not just its members. These so-called fair share fees cover the costs of collective bargaining and grievance procedures to deal with workplace complaints.

Employees who don't join the union do not have to pay for the unions' political activities.
    Conservative anti-union interests are backing an Illinois government employee who says that being forced to pay anything at all violates his First Amendment speech rights.

"I'm not against unions," said the employee, 65-year-old Mark Janus, who is represented by American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Council 31. "I don't oppose the right of workers to organize. But the right to say no to unions is just as important as the right to say yes." He said he opposes his union's fight for wage and benefit increases when the state is "in pretty terrible financial condition right now."

William Messenger, the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation lawyer who is representing Janus at the Supreme Court, said everything the union does, including its bargaining with the state, is political and employees should not be forced to pay for it.

The issue might have been settled in Janus' favor two years ago. In January 2016, the court heard an identical complaint from California teachers and appeared to be ready to decide that states have no right to compel workers to pay money to unions.

But less than a month later, Justice Antonin Scalia died and the court soon after announced its tie, in effect a win for the unions. The one-sentence opinion did not identify how each justice voted, but the court appeared split between its conservatives and liberals, the same breakdown seen in two other recent cases about public sector unions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gorsuch-d...-politics.html
    If this makes being in a union an option - go for it.

If being in a union is so great than the market will certainly bless them with immortality in the same way as bacon, beef, and toilet paper.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

Grokmaster (02-19-2018),Peter1469 (02-19-2018)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    If this makes being in a union an option - go for it.

If being in a union is so great than the market will certainly bless them with immortality in the same way as bacon, beef, and toilet paper.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    It essentially ends the union practice in public sector of making government jobs a "closed shop"...which is complete and total bull$#@!, and should have never been allowed to happen in the 1st place.

Private unions are one thing; PUBLIC SECTOR unions are a completely different animal.
    De Oppresso Liber

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-19-2018)

+ Reply to Thread