Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realists created Mutually Assured Destruction. Long before Neocons existed. But they didn't expand the policy to the wacky levels that you suggest below. Think about constraints. Yes that is a term of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    That's exactly right. And weapons must come with the willingness to use them. It has always been a policy of Neocons to actually put teeth into mutually assured destruction. To explain to nation states that we understand terrorist organizations cannot thrive without support, without being harbored, without being facilitated. Should another attack such as we saw on 9-11 occur, we are coming after your major cities as well. Tehran, Damascus, Kabul, Kaboom. As examples.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Russia has a massive underground city in the Ural. No telling how far down they have continued to dig down there. I doubt we have anything that can damage the deepest parts of that city. Of course we can damage the upper chambers and most entrances.
    Other than knowing its there. I doubt we know much about anything that's down there.
    That's quite possible.

I think if there was an exchange of nuclear weapons, the surface of their country would most likely be so radioactive, they'd have to spend their remaining days living underground in this massive city they built. Most of the population would be dead or dying; their ability to grow food would likewise be compromised. All in all, I think I may have mentioned it somewhere, life as they knew it pre-war, would be over as it would be for us as well.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,010x in 10,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Realists created Mutually Assured Destruction. Long before Neocons existed. But they didn't expand the policy to the wacky levels that you suggest below. Think about constraints. Yes that is a term of art.
    The realists are those who allowed other countries to possess nuclear weapons in the first place and within decades, yes? One must allow the enemy to build such a weapon and become strong enough to in fact 'return the favor' before any 'creation' of a mutually assured destruction policy, yes?

Y'all have had to be saved throughout history, your policies in themselves are assured destruction. Never again.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,250x in 27,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    That's quite possible.

I think if there was an exchange of nuclear weapons, the surface of their country would most likely be so radioactive, they'd have to spend their remaining days living underground in this massive city they built. Most of the population would be dead or dying; their ability to grow food would likewise be compromised. All in all, I think I may have mentioned it somewhere, life as they knew it pre-war, would be over as it would be for us as well.
    Of course, I believe something quite different. Most people would not know the war occurred directly. Even here that is true. Go online and use one of the scenario creators. Scale up the size of a nuclear detonation on the nearest likely target just to see how big it would have to be before you noticed it.

In most places, the neutron-induced gamma activity hot spot might be a few hundred meters across. Rain water might carry some radioactive debris to eddy points that would be very dangerous.

Who am I kidding? Most people believe the movies.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Status-6: Russia’s 100-megaton torpedo

First that I have heard of this. Russia has an unmanned sub that carried 100-megaton torpedo. That could take out large parts of our Eastern Seaboard, aircraft carrier battle-groups, and more.

But there is good news.
    Sounds more like "busy work". Why not just have a sub and deep sea divers bury one near a few major US ports with an ELF radio trigger? Can be set off by a satellite signal. Given the size, even if it was buried 3 miles offshore, it should certainly be able to destroy or irradiate the target.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the Neocons could prevent other nations from obtaining nuclear technology. You demonstrate that your ideology is hopelessly misguided with that statement.

Realpolitik is an intelligent way to manage foreign policy. And you can look up that old article from FT about what the world would look like today if Neocons were expelled from power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    The realists are those who allowed other countries to possess nuclear weapons in the first place and within decades, yes? One must allow the enemy to build such a weapon and become strong enough to in fact 'return the favor' before any 'creation' of a mutually assured destruction policy, yes?

Y'all have had to be saved throughout history, your policies in themselves are assured destruction. Never again.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,250x in 27,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    Sounds more like "busy work". Why not just have a sub and deep sea divers bury one near a few major US ports with an ELF radio trigger? Can be set off by a satellite signal. Given the size, even if it was buried 3 miles offshore, it should certainly be able to destroy or irradiate the target.
    Two thoughts 1)flexibility 2)and recall.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Status-6: Russia’s 100-megaton torpedo

First that I have heard of this. Russia has an unmanned sub that carried 100-megaton torpedo. That could take out large parts of our Eastern Seaboard, aircraft carrier battle-groups, and more.

But there is good news.

"Battle groups" or "large parts of the esatern seaboard" ? Thet's $#@!ing nuts! But I still say no one is crazy enough to start a nuke war , but several countries are crazy enough to join one. If anyone destroys the world it will likely be hackers.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    "Battle groups" or "large parts of the esatern seaboard" ? Thet's $#@!ing nuts! But I still say no one is crazy enough to start a nuke war , but several countries are crazy enough to join one. If anyone destroys the world it will likely be hackers.
    Agreed about nuke war vs. hackers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

donttread (02-23-2018)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,010x in 10,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the Neocons could prevent other nations from obtaining nuclear technology. You demonstrate that your ideology is hopelessly misguided with that statement.
    You stood idle while other nations developed nuclear weapons and the ability to deliver them. Hopeless is what that was, forget the misguide part. Mutually assured destruction was, go ahead and build and threaten, be confident you'll be destroyed should you strike first. Correct?

Realpolitik is an intelligent way to manage foreign policy. And you can look up that old article from FT about what the world would look like today if Neocons were expelled from power.
    Realists haven't shown intelligence managing foreign policy, in fact, you've been an utter disaster. I remember reading that article Peter, the reason the author was mentioning the world being different was to promote more of his ivory tower idiots into positions of power, it was a job resume, you're just not learned enough to know the difference between OP and analysis. Yet.

And please try to remember.....Peter.....Neocons would have had to have 'power' for many more decades than you give them credit for in order to change the world. As well......you live today....in the most stable economy, peaceful existence, and higher standard of living than almost any human in history save for me....as I enjoy the same lifestyles and standards, I'm mush more highly aware and learned on our topics of conversation. Thus, I teach you.

+ Reply to Thread