User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most Mass Shootings at K-12 Schools Happened After Gun-Free School Zones Made Law

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most Mass Shootings at K-12 Schools Happened After Gun-Free School Zones Made Law

If Trump is serious about making his proposal a reality, Congress first needs to repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 (GFSZA). Although the bill was overturned by the Supreme Court in United States v. Lopez (1995), a revised version of the law still serves as the primary federal legal basis for barring teachers or other school staff from carrying legally owned guns on school grounds (or anywhere within 1000 feet of them).

There are exceptions to the law that already exist, however, and they are not insignificant. The most notable of these is an original GFSZA provision that allows local schools to approve individual adults to carry firearms in their school zones. According to a 2013 investigation by NBC News, 18 states have laws taking advantage of this exception. Most of these states require prospective firearm carriers to get explicit written permission from a school board, school trustees, a superintendent, or a principal in order to carry guns in school.

And yet, in spite of such regulations being on the books, most of America’s mass shootings targeting primary or secondary schools have occurred after the 1990 law or its 1996 update went into effect. Using the FBI definition of a mass shooting as any single incident in which four or more people are killed by a shooter, there appear to be eight such shootings at K-12 schools in the United States:

Sandy Hook Elementary (2012) - 26 killed (at the school)
    Stoneman Douglas High School (2018) - 17 killed
    Columbine High School (1999) - 13 killed
    Stockton Elementary School (1989) - 5 killed
    Westside Middle School (1998) - 5 killed
    West Nickel Mines School (2006) - 5 killed
    Lindhurst High School (1992) - 4 killed
    Marysville-Pilchuck High School (2014) - 4 killed

The three most deadly shootings from this list, including this year's Florida mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas, all happened after GFSZA passed, and only one shooting happened before it became law.

This data strongly suggests that if legislators want to actually solve the problem of mass shootings in our nation's schools, they must think beyond a narrow approach that relies on restricting Americans' Second Amendment rights and do something that actually deters evil or mentally people from targeting our schools in the first place......snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/chrisr...e-int-n2452948

The Demos wont go for repealing the law. As they aren't interested in saving lives. Except when its a convenience. Still there is away around the Demos obstruction.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (02-23-2018),stjames1_53 (02-23-2018)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,498x in 1,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guns are the crack of the partisan hacks. Courage is imaginary and thus the gun huggers love of the source of their guts, like a child with its blankee.

'The Right Wing: 5 Places Hypocritical Republicans Ban Guns for Their Own Personal Safety'

https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/...ersonal-safety

"From early childhood I was an outdoor person and loved hunting and fishing. About 10 years ago, at age 60, I gave up both. I had learned outdoor craft from my father, a WWII combat veteran. For over 20 years I lived in England . When we moved back to the US I gave up on hunting first and then fishing. No one in my family has ever owned a gun that could chamber more than three rounds. Handguns were never even a consideration. In the UK it is impossible to own a handgun. My shotguns were kept in a locked metal chamber bolted to the wall. Every 12 to 36 months a police constable came by the house - unannounced - to check that the guns on my permit were the guns in the closet. If I was not home and another person knew where the key was my gun license would have been voided. I am astonished that people with no sense of what a gun does, kill, own weapons of war in our country. I was lucky enough to learn about guns from a WWII combat veteran and to learn the respect a gun and a human life merit. Weapons of war cannot be a 'hobby'. There is no reason beyond personal insecurity for any civilian in our country to own a handgun or any rifle or shotgun that chambers more than three rounds. By Federal law waterfowl get the protection of hunters only having three rounds in their guns. Why don't people deserve the protection of no handguns and war weapons in the house next door ? Gun regulation is not a 'tribal' issue, tribes protect their members. It is a simple common sense issue." Bill Wilson, Boston, Comment: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/o...shootings.html

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...s-intelligence

"The shooter is almost always male. Of the past 129 mass shootings in the United States, all but three have been men. The shooter is socially alienated, and he can’t get laid. Every time you scratch the surface of the latest mass killing, in a movie theatre, a school, the streets of Paris or an abortion clinic, you find the weaponised loser. From Jihadi John of ISIS to Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris at Columbine, these men are invariably stuck in the emotional life of an adolescent. They always struggle with self-esteem – especially regarding women – and sometimes they give up entirely on the possibility of amorous fulfilment. There are different levels of tactical coordination, different ostensible grievances and different access to firearms, but the psyche beneath is invariably the same." https://aeon.co/essays/humiliation-a...mass-shootings
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. You Have Blood On Your Hands!

Actually, don’t stop them when they go this way. Scummy drama queen invective like this is proof that our stubborn defense of our rights is working, and that they have nothing else but to lie about us. Their hysterical shrieking helps motivate other people who may not have been paying attention to protect their rights. After all, “You support murdering children!” is a super-effective way to alienate normal folks and highlight the essential dishonesty of the gun banners.

No. What the anti-civil rights crowd likes to do is cite language from Heller that recognizes a few traditional exceptions to when and what arms may be kept and borne – in other words, gun banners try to have narrow exceptions swallow up the rule. Always pivot back to and demand that these people recite the basic holding: The Second Amendment recognizes the right of citizens to individually keep weapons in common use for lawful purposes, including self-defense.

Liberals hate when you do that, especially when you confront them with the fact that Heller protects weapons “in common use.” In that case, it was handguns. However, the fake assault weapons that liberals hate (which are involved in a tiny fraction of crimes) numbers in the millions. AR15-style weapons are in common use. Deal with it.

Let’s get serious. They all want to take your guns. Why? Two reasons. First, it takes power from the citizenry. Liberals love that. Second, gun rights are important to normal Americans because the fact we maintain arms means we are not mere subjects. We are citizens, with the power to defend our freedom. Liberals hate that we have that dignity; taking our guns would humiliate us, and show us who is boss. They want to disarms us not because of the gun crime – name a liberal who wants to really do something about Chicago as opposed to hassling law-abiding normals – but because they hate us and want to see us submit.

Pseudocon Bret Stephens demanded that America repeal the Second Amendment in the New York Times in October 2017. Fellow puffcon Ross Douthat simpered something similar, and the Captain Stubing of Conservatism, Bill Kristol, tweeted his concurrence......snip~

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...-them-n2451718
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,651x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    If Trump is serious about making his proposal a reality, Congress first needs to repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 (GFSZA). Although the bill was overturned by the Supreme Court in United States v. Lopez (1995), a revised version of the law still serves as the primary federal legal basis for barring teachers or other school staff from carrying legally owned guns on school grounds (or anywhere within 1000 feet of them).

There are exceptions to the law that already exist, however, and they are not insignificant. The most notable of these is an original GFSZA provision that allows local schools to approve individual adults to carry firearms in their school zones. According to a 2013 investigation by NBC News, 18 states have laws taking advantage of this exception. Most of these states require prospective firearm carriers to get explicit written permission from a school board, school trustees, a superintendent, or a principal in order to carry guns in school.

And yet, in spite of such regulations being on the books, most of America’s mass shootings targeting primary or secondary schools have occurred after the 1990 law or its 1996 update went into effect. Using the FBI definition of a mass shooting as any single incident in which four or more people are killed by a shooter, there appear to be eight such shootings at K-12 schools in the United States:

Sandy Hook Elementary (2012) - 26 killed (at the school)
    Stoneman Douglas High School (2018) - 17 killed
    Columbine High School (1999) - 13 killed
    Stockton Elementary School (1989) - 5 killed
    Westside Middle School (1998) - 5 killed
    West Nickel Mines School (2006) - 5 killed
    Lindhurst High School (1992) - 4 killed
    Marysville-Pilchuck High School (2014) - 4 killed

The three most deadly shootings from this list, including this year's Florida mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas, all happened after GFSZA passed, and only one shooting happened before it became law.

This data strongly suggests that if legislators want to actually solve the problem of mass shootings in our nation's schools, they must think beyond a narrow approach that relies on restricting Americans' Second Amendment rights and do something that actually deters evil or mentally people from targeting our schools in the first place......snip~

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/chrisr...e-int-n2452948

The Demos wont go for repealing the law. As they aren't interested in saving lives. Except when its a convenience. Still there is away around the Demos obstruction.

How would it be otherwise.? Want to save lives drop the national speed limit to 30 MPH

6. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

MMC (02-23-2018)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,640
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Guns are the crack of the partisan hacks. Courage is imaginary and thus the gun huggers love of the source of their guts, like a child with its blankee.

'The Right Wing: 5 Places Hypocritical Republicans Ban Guns for Their Own Personal Safety'

https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/...ersonal-safety

"From early childhood I was an outdoor person and loved hunting and fishing. About 10 years ago, at age 60, I gave up both. I had learned outdoor craft from my father, a WWII combat veteran. For over 20 years I lived in England . When we moved back to the US I gave up on hunting first and then fishing. No one in my family has ever owned a gun that could chamber more than three rounds. Handguns were never even a consideration. In the UK it is impossible to own a handgun. My shotguns were kept in a locked metal chamber bolted to the wall. Every 12 to 36 months a police constable came by the house - unannounced - to check that the guns on my permit were the guns in the closet. If I was not home and another person knew where the key was my gun license would have been voided. I am astonished that people with no sense of what a gun does, kill, own weapons of war in our country. I was lucky enough to learn about guns from a WWII combat veteran and to learn the respect a gun and a human life merit. Weapons of war cannot be a 'hobby'. There is no reason beyond personal insecurity for any civilian in our country to own a handgun or any rifle or shotgun that chambers more than three rounds. By Federal law waterfowl get the protection of hunters only having three rounds in their guns. Why don't people deserve the protection of no handguns and war weapons in the house next door ? Gun regulation is not a 'tribal' issue, tribes protect their members. It is a simple common sense issue." Bill Wilson, Boston, Comment: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/o...shootings.html

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...s-intelligence

"The shooter is almost always male. Of the past 129 mass shootings in the United States, all but three have been men. The shooter is socially alienated, and he can’t get laid. Every time you scratch the surface of the latest mass killing, in a movie theatre, a school, the streets of Paris or an abortion clinic, you find the weaponised loser. From Jihadi John of ISIS to Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris at Columbine, these men are invariably stuck in the emotional life of an adolescent. They always struggle with self-esteem – especially regarding women – and sometimes they give up entirely on the possibility of amorous fulfilment. There are different levels of tactical coordination, different ostensible grievances and different access to firearms, but the psyche beneath is invariably the same." https://aeon.co/essays/humiliation-a...mass-shootings
    So let me get this straight. In 240 years with all the weapons we have there are only 129 mass shootings? I know at least 1 could have been stopped if law enforcement top to bottom did their job. And F U and your insults. I am tired of BS artists like you are in this country. You live in fantasy camp. Nobody elses opinion counts because you think you are the smartest person in the room. You are not.
    Last edited by texan; 02-23-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

+ Reply to Thread