Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lady Bird Should Win, But Won't

So the Oscars are upon us. As something of a cinephile, I've had the chance to see seven out of the nine films nominated for Best Picture (the exceptions being the WWII films Darkest Hour and Dunkirk, which I'm sure are great movies, but just didn't interest me enough to bother, personally). Based on the overall number of award nominations that each of those nine pictures has gotten, the Best Picture award this year is considered to be essentially a contest between Three Billboards and The Shape of Water. That does not surprise me one ounce, but it does disappoint me. Here's why:

It's obvious from the list of Best Picture nominees that female empowerment is an in theme with the Hollywood elite this year, and in a lot of ways that seems appropriate. After all, to put matters in perspective, the year 2017 began with the first Women's March turning out to be the largest demonstration in American history and ended with the Me Too movement being named Time magazine's Person of the Year. Merriam Webster announced that 'feminism' was the dictionary's most looked-up word of the year in 2017, likewise. Continuing this theme, all three of the top-grossing movies of 2017 in the United States (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Beauty and the Beast, and Wonder Woman) had female leads; a feat previously last accomplished in the year 1958. Clearly 2017 was marked by a major increase in public interest in feminism and feminist attitudes. (Thank you President Trump for making all this possible!) For that reason, it seems fitting that the front-runners for the Academy's coveted Best Picture award should be two pictures about female empowerment. But why these particular two and not Lady Bird: the one directed by a woman?

These pictures all have rather different takes on what female empowerment looks like. Three Billboards has won the top awards already at the Golden Globes, the SAG Awards, and the British Academy Awards, so frankly I think it's probably going to win Best Picture at the Oscars next Sunday too. Out of the three films in question, that one would be my least favorite. The reason it has won so far, and will likely win again on Sunday, is because, out of these female empowerment pictures, it is the most conciliatory toward the patriarchy. Three Billboards portrays female liberation as something achieved through negotiation and compromise with the forces of patriarchy. The Shape of Water, considered the runner-up in odds, contains a less conciliatory vision of female emancipation, but one which still, nonetheless, is impossible to achieve without men playing a central role. (Plus the director is Mexican, not American, so another disadvantage for the top award.) Lady Bird, in contrast, portrays men as generally a disappointment and ultimately unnecessary to one's empowerment as a woman. That's, just by sheer coincidence, the one directed by a woman. And that is why it will win nothing whatsoever despite being the most critically acclaimed film of the year. The Academy, after all, is basically a bunch of old, liberal men who aren't interested in lighthearted coming-of-age stories about young women, especially when they don't offer ideological concessions, and even more especially when the director is a woman. For further perspective, only one movie directed by a woman has ever won the Academy's Best Picture award to date: 2010's The Hurt Locker: a war movie featuring almost no women.

The victory of Three Billboards to me seems as inevitable as the Oscars being hosted by a man and accused rapist Kobe Bryant winning an Oscar for his critically panned basketball short for being Kobe Bryant right in the middle of said female empowerment night. *sighs* My male allies. They want to support female liberation. They just don't want to listen to women.

Oh well. I am glad that two mostly-feminist pictures with female leads are considered the front-runners this year, don't get me wrong. That never happens. Still...
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-26-2018 at 08:05 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-26-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,424x in 94,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hurt Locker didn't have women in it because women, don't choose to do bomb removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    So the Oscars are upon us. As something of a cinephile, I've had the chance to see seven out of the nine films nominated for Best Picture (the exceptions being the WWII films Darkest Hour and Dunkirk, which I'm sure are great movies, but just didn't interest me enough to bother, personally). Based on the overall number of award nominations that each of those nine pictures has gotten, the Best Picture award this year is considered to be essentially a contest between Three Billboards and The Shape of Water. That does not surprise me one ounce, but it does disappoint me. Here's why:

It's obvious from this list that female empowerment is an in theme with the Hollywood elite this year, and in a lot of ways that seems appropriate. After all, to put matters in perspective, the year 2017 began with the first Women's March turning out to be the largest demonstration in American history and ended with the Me Too movement being named Time magazine's Person of the Year. Merriam Webster announced that 'feminism' was the dictionary's most looked-up word of the year in 2017, likewise. Continuing this theme, all three of the top-grossing movies of 2017 in the United States (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Beauty and the Beast, and Wonder Woman) had female leads; a feat previously last accomplished in the year 1958. Clearly 2017 was marked by a major increase in public interest in feminism and feminist attitudes. (Thank you President Trump for making all this possible!) For that reason, it seems fitting that the front-runners for the Academy's coveted Best Picture award should be two pictures about female empowerment. But why these particular two and not Lady Bird: the one directed by a woman?

These pictures all have rather different takes on what female empowerment looks like. Three Billboards has won the top awards already at the Golden Globes, the SAG Awards, and the British Academy Awards, so frankly I think it's probably going to win Best Picture at the Oscars next Sunday too. Out of the three films in question, that one would be my least favorite. The reason it has won so far, and will likely win again on Sunday, is because, out of these female empowerment pictures, it is the most conciliatory toward the patriarchy. Three Billboards portrays female liberation as something achieved through negotiation and compromise with the forces of patriarchy. The Shape of Water, considered the runner-up in odds, contains a less conciliatory vision of female emancipation, but one which still, nonetheless, is impossible to achieve without men playing a central role. (Plus the director is Mexican, not American, so another disadvantage for the top award.) Lady Bird, in contrast, portrays men as generally a disappointment and ultimately unnecessary to one's empowerment as a woman. That's, just by sheer coincidence, the one directed by a woman. And that is why it will win nothing whatsoever despite being the most critically acclaimed film of the year. The Academy, after all, is basically a bunch of old, liberal men who aren't interested in lighthearted coming-of-age stories about young women, especially when they don't offer ideological concessions, and even more especially when the director is a woman. For further perspective, only one movie with a female director has ever won the Academy's Best Picture award to date: 2010's The Hurt Locker: a war movie featuring almost no women.

The victory of Three Billboards to me seems as inevitable as the Oscars being hosted by a man and accused rapist Kobe Bryant winning an Oscar for his critically panned basketball short right in the middle of said female empowerment night. *sighs* My male allies. They want to support female liberation. They just don't want to listen to women.

Oh well. I am glad that two mostly-feminist pictures with female leads are considered the front-runners this year, don't get me wrong. That never happens. Still...
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter wrote:
    The Hurt Locker didn't have women in it because women, don't choose to do bomb removal.
    Wasn't suggesting that The Hurt Locker didn't deserve to win, just that I find it convenient that that's the only female-directed film to have won.

Anyway, I decided to finally watch the other two nominated movies this week that I hadn't seen yet. Here are the nine Best Picture nominees listed in order of my personal preference:

1. Lady Bird
    2. The Shape of Water
    3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    4. The Post
    5. Get Out
    6. Dunkirk
    7. Call Me By Your Name
    8. Phantom Thread
    9. Darkest Hour

Suspecting that many here won't trust my personal tastes though, here's an alternative ordering for conservatives based on what order I suspect the average Donald Trump voter would prefer these movies. I'll color code each film to match with American partisan alignments: red for entries I think the average American conservative will like on balance, blue for pictures I think conservatives in general would dislike:

1. Dunkirk
    2. Phantom Thread
    3. Darkest Hour

4. The Shape of Water
    5. Lady Cuck
    6. Three Witch Hunts
    7. Bezos
    8. The one with the $#@!.
    9. The gay one.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,424x in 94,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't suggesting that The Hurt Locker didn't deserve to win, just that I find it convenient that that's the only female-directed film to have won.

Anyway, I decided to finally watch the other two nominated movies this week that I hadn't seen yet. Here are the nine Best Picture nominees listed in order of my personal preference:

1. Lady Bird
    2. The Shape of Water
    3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    4. The Post
    5. Get Out
    6. Dunkirk
    7. Call Me By Your Name
    8. Phantom Thread
    9. Darkest Hour

Suspecting that many here won't trust my personal tastes though, here's an alternative ordering for conservatives based on what order I suspect the average Donald Trump voter would prefer these movies. I'll color code each film to match with American partisan alignments: red for entries I think the average American conservative will like on balance, blue for pictures I think conservatives in general would dislike:

1. Dunkirk
    2. Phantom Thread
    3. Darkest Hour

4. The Shape of Water
    5. Lady Cuck
    6. Three Witch Hunts
    7. Bezos
    8. The one with the $#@!.
    9. The gay one.
    I think you did a good job with the con list.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (03-01-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter wrote:
    I think you did a good job with the con list.
    I tried to inject the right amount of alt-right-style rhetoric.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-01-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,473x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still waiting for her to explain why "Trump fans" won't like Black Panther.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I have one other question to offer on this subject today: Why aren't Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Coco nominated for Best Picture? They've both received more critical acclaim than Darkest Hour! To highlight their average critic review scores on review-aggregating sites Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes:

Metacritic

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 85%
    Coco: 81%
    Darkest Hour: 75%

Rotten Tomatoes

Coco: 82%
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 81%
    Darkest Hour: 74%

And yet Darkest Hour is nominated for Best Picture and neither The Last Jedi nor Coco is! Why? Just because it's a redundant WWII movie with an R rating that fewer people saw and that makes it better? Because concessions to conservative Oscar-viewing audiences had to be made? Because this tired sort of film is more appealing to the group of men old enough to remember WWII who form the Academy? I mean even Wonder Woman earned (marginally) better reviews!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,591x in 25,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen:

Lady Bird
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Three Billboards

My favorite: Dunkirk.
    Least favorite: Three Billboards (I liked it a lot but hated the ending - I'm a closed file guy and the movie didn't close the file)
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DGUtley wrote:
    I have seen:

Lady Bird
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Three Billboards

My favorite: Dunkirk.
    Least favorite: Three Billboards (I liked it a lot but hated the ending - I'm a closed file guy and the movie didn't close the file)
    Ah you did go see Lady Bird after all! What'd ya think of it?

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,591x in 25,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah you did go see Lady Bird after all! What'd ya think of it?
    Pam and I both surprisingly liked it. It was well-written and well-acted. Not a movie that I'd buy but one I'd watch on HBO or Netflix when it came out. I'm sure there's little things we missed.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread