Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Obviously, if you're a Trump fan, you're going to hate this movie on every level.
    Why is that?
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen it, @Safety? I was particularly interested in your opinion.
    I was not planning on seeing it, but my son wanted to watch it, so I took him last Sunday. All in all it was a good movie, on par with what to expect from Marvel in regards to them keeping in line with the comics. There were several parts where the comments made were not necessary, but that is to be expected in the political we are in today.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (02-28-2018)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethereal wrote:
    This genre tends to be overrated, in my opinion. They always gush over big-budget, superhero movies and they always disappoint me. I'm not saying they aren't entertaining, but they are nowhere near as good as they are made out to be. I expect Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade and wind up getting Gremlins 2 instead. You may recall that I had similar feelings towards Wonder Woman...

Incidentally, Wonder Woman was actually one of the better big-budget, superhero movies, but I wasn't the least bit moved by it. It's just a really hot chick running around Europe kicking the shit out of German soldiers. Fun to watch, but hardly Schindler's List.

If I seem bitter, it's because I am. I resent all this money being spent on superhero action movies.
    All I can tell you is that it beat out my expectations in every area.

I have a very different take on Wonder Woman incidentally, though. I think it was the most popular with my generation for a reason: because it is, allegorically, the story of my generation. It's the story of one who grows up in peace and prosperity, only to have that disrupted by a plane crash that leads directly into a "war without end" (sound familiar?), whereupon one goes on to learn that the world actually kind of sucks, people are dishonest and cruel and defeatist and even pacifists aren't sincere, and find yourself challenged by the lure of cynicism resultantly. How do you navigate that? How do you shed your naivety without devolving into cynicism and misanthropy? That's how I read it anyway.

Ignoring skin color = prejudice

Interesting theory.

I was talking about your predetermined opinion of the movie. Though I was amused by the citation of MLK to justify that prejudice. That was sufficiently arrogant to be hilarious, I felt.

St. James wrote:
    When in the hell did movies stop being just movies...................I don't do SJW flicks................probably wont do this one either
    Your presence at the theater will be sorely missed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Safety (02-28-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    I was not planning on seeing it, but my son wanted to watch it, so I took him last Sunday. All in all it was a good movie, on par with what to expect from Marvel in regards to them keeping in line with the comics. There were several parts where the comments made were not necessary, but that is to be expected in the political we are in today.
    Do you think it captured the essence of blackness?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,579x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a great movie to watch when I am flying to Europe on a 7 hour flight. And that is not a dig at the movie. The last movie that I saw not in an airplane was the Lone Survivor.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (02-28-2018)

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can tell you is that it beat out my expectations in every area.

I have a very different take on Wonder Woman incidentally, though. I think it was the most popular with my generation for a reason: because it is, allegorically, the story of my generation. It's the story of one who grows up in peace and prosperity, only to have that disrupted by a plane crash that leads directly into a "war without end" (sound familiar?), whereupon one goes on to learn that the world actually kind of sucks, people are dishonest and cruel and defeatist and even pacifists aren't sincere, and find yourself challenged by the lure of cynicism resultantly. How do you navigate that? How do you shed your naivety without devolving into cynicism and misanthropy? That's how I read it anyway.
    I'm pretty sure we're the same generation.

Anyway, those questions may have been asked by the movie, but it provided no meaningful examination or answer. It just posed a problem (in the form of cartoonishly evil Germans) and then solved it through formulaic ass-kicking. In other words, it was just another big-budget, superhero film. The fact that it may have had some semblance of a subtext does not really change that.

I was talking about your predetermined opinion of the movie. Though I was amused by the citation of MLK to justify that prejudice. That was sufficiently arrogant to be hilarious, I felt.
    Why is it arrogant? MLK told us not to judge people by their skin color and that's what I'm doing. I don't care how many "black people" a movie has in it because the skin color of the people in a movie does not influence how I feel about it. My "prejudice" towards the film is based on historical evidence and trends, not skin color. That is why I said MLK would approve.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethereal wrote:
    Anyway, those questions may have been asked by the movie, but it provided no meaningful examination or answer. It just posed a problem (in the form of cartoonishly evil Germans) and then solved it through formulaic ass-kicking. In other words, it was just another big-budget, superhero film. The fact that it may have had some semblance of a subtext does not really change that.
    The film's conclusion is, in essence, that we have to both judge people individually and try to influence the direction of things for the better. I think that conclusion is simplistic and has real limits, but is a good place to start.

+ Reply to Thread