User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Black Panther

  1. #11
    Points: 30,775, Level: 42
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    176662
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13,819
    Points
    30,775
    Level
    42
    Thanks Given
    6
    Thanked 8,343x in 5,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Obviously, if you're a Trump fan, you're going to hate this movie on every level.
    Why is that?
    Gentlemen and ladies, I hate inflation, I hate taxes, and I hate Communism. Do something about it. Ronald Reagan's instructions to his first assembled Cabinet.

  2. #12
    Points: 92,261, Level: 74
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,489
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Karma
    2611761
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    GA/FL
    Posts
    40,071
    Points
    92,261
    Level
    74
    Thanks Given
    19,029
    Thanked 18,241x in 12,301 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Have you seen it, @Safety? I was particularly interested in your opinion.
    I was not planning on seeing it, but my son wanted to watch it, so I took him last Sunday. All in all it was a good movie, on par with what to expect from Marvel in regards to them keeping in line with the comics. There were several parts where the comments made were not necessary, but that is to be expected in the political we are in today.
    Nobody is holding a gun to your head. If you don't like what I post, ignore me. I'll post what I want, when I want, and where I want, regardless of how you or anyone else feels about it.

    - GA

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

    IMPress Polly (02-28-2018)

  4. #13
    Points: 56,988, Level: 58
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,362
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    152891
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    4,773
    Points
    56,988
    Level
    58
    Thanks Given
    5,139
    Thanked 4,311x in 2,486 Posts
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethereal wrote:
    This genre tends to be overrated, in my opinion. They always gush over big-budget, superhero movies and they always disappoint me. I'm not saying they aren't entertaining, but they are nowhere near as good as they are made out to be. I expect Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade and wind up getting Gremlins 2 instead. You may recall that I had similar feelings towards Wonder Woman...

    Incidentally, Wonder Woman was actually one of the better big-budget, superhero movies, but I wasn't the least bit moved by it. It's just a really hot chick running around Europe kicking the shit out of German soldiers. Fun to watch, but hardly Schindler's List.

    If I seem bitter, it's because I am. I resent all this money being spent on superhero action movies.
    All I can tell you is that it beat out my expectations in every area.

    I have a very different take on Wonder Woman incidentally, though. I think it was the most popular with my generation for a reason: because it is, allegorically, the story of my generation. It's the story of one who grows up in peace and prosperity, only to have that disrupted by a plane crash that leads directly into a "war without end" (sound familiar?), whereupon one goes on to learn that the world actually kind of sucks, people are dishonest and cruel and defeatist and even pacifists aren't sincere, and find yourself challenged by the lure of cynicism resultantly. How do you navigate that? How do you shed your naivety without devolving into cynicism and misanthropy? That's how I read it anyway.

    Ignoring skin color = prejudice

    Interesting theory.

    I was talking about your predetermined opinion of the movie. Though I was amused by the citation of MLK to justify that prejudice. That was sufficiently arrogant to be hilarious, I felt.

    St. James wrote:
    When in the hell did movies stop being just movies...................I don't do SJW flicks................probably wont do this one either
    Your presence at the theater will be sorely missed.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

    Safety (02-28-2018)

  6. #14
    Original Ranter
    Points: 207,188, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    390872
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    82,842
    Points
    207,188
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    16,237
    Thanked 27,814x in 20,037 Posts
    Mentioned
    858 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    I was not planning on seeing it, but my son wanted to watch it, so I took him last Sunday. All in all it was a good movie, on par with what to expect from Marvel in regards to them keeping in line with the comics. There were several parts where the comments made were not necessary, but that is to be expected in the political we are in today.
    Do you think it captured the essence of blackness?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  7. #15
    Original Ranter
    Points: 454,011, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    411076
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    139,571
    Points
    454,011
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    80,342
    Thanked 62,045x in 42,492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a great movie to watch when I am flying to Europe on a 7 hour flight. And that is not a dig at the movie. The last movie that I saw not in an airplane was the Lone Survivor.
    Alea iacta est

    Check out the blog.


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    IMPress Polly (02-28-2018)

  9. #16
    Points: 119,406, Level: 83
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    452217
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    42,282
    Points
    119,406
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    7,720
    Thanked 24,941x in 15,791 Posts
    Mentioned
    905 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    All I can tell you is that it beat out my expectations in every area.

    I have a very different take on Wonder Woman incidentally, though. I think it was the most popular with my generation for a reason: because it is, allegorically, the story of my generation. It's the story of one who grows up in peace and prosperity, only to have that disrupted by a plane crash that leads directly into a "war without end" (sound familiar?), whereupon one goes on to learn that the world actually kind of sucks, people are dishonest and cruel and defeatist and even pacifists aren't sincere, and find yourself challenged by the lure of cynicism resultantly. How do you navigate that? How do you shed your naivety without devolving into cynicism and misanthropy? That's how I read it anyway.
    I'm pretty sure we're the same generation.

    Anyway, those questions may have been asked by the movie, but it provided no meaningful examination or answer. It just posed a problem (in the form of cartoonishly evil Germans) and then solved it through formulaic ass-kicking. In other words, it was just another big-budget, superhero film. The fact that it may have had some semblance of a subtext does not really change that.

    I was talking about your predetermined opinion of the movie. Though I was amused by the citation of MLK to justify that prejudice. That was sufficiently arrogant to be hilarious, I felt.
    Why is it arrogant? MLK told us not to judge people by their skin color and that's what I'm doing. I don't care how many "black people" a movie has in it because the skin color of the people in a movie does not influence how I feel about it. My "prejudice" towards the film is based on historical evidence and trends, not skin color. That is why I said MLK would approve.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  10. #17
    Points: 56,988, Level: 58
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,362
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    152891
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    4,773
    Points
    56,988
    Level
    58
    Thanks Given
    5,139
    Thanked 4,311x in 2,486 Posts
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethereal wrote:
    Anyway, those questions may have been asked by the movie, but it provided no meaningful examination or answer. It just posed a problem (in the form of cartoonishly evil Germans) and then solved it through formulaic ass-kicking. In other words, it was just another big-budget, superhero film. The fact that it may have had some semblance of a subtext does not really change that.
    The film's conclusion is, in essence, that we have to both judge people individually and try to influence the direction of things for the better. I think that conclusion is simplistic and has real limits, but is a good place to start.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO