User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Must a Social Worker Advise an Incarcerated Def of His Rights Under Miranda?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,755x in 1,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commoner View Post
    Social Workers are not law enforcement personel and have no law enforcement powers. You get read your rights by a Police Officer before he interrogates you or has decided to arrest you.

Social Workers should not be making decisions as to whether or not a person should be referred to the police. The way it works is a social worker is informed of a possible underage rape or child abuse, she immediately should turn that over to the police. They have no place in the decision making for an arrest.
    Yeah. Am going with that. The suggestion that a social worker should have to advise miranda rights is silly.

Not unlike there are selective things which a psychologist/therapist is obligated to report to police if they are told by a patient.

Suppose the lawyer for the defendant can claim hearsay evidence at the trial. And the prosecutor would certainly need more than just the statements from the social worker to successfully convict.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

Common (03-03-2018)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Yeah. Am going with that. The suggestion that a social worker should have to advise miranda rights is silly.

Not unlike there are selective things which a psychologist/therapist is obligated to report to police if they are told by a patient.

Suppose the lawyer for the defendant can claim hearsay evidence at the trial. And the prosecutor would certainly need more than just the statements from the social worker to successfully convict.
    All other points aside, the question about the social worker is valid because they work for the state. Police or not, as an agent of the state and with a legal requirement that they reveal everything they learn from the accused (i.e. no patient confidentiality) then the Miranda question becomes valid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (03-03-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,484x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole "Miranda" issue is ridiculous. There should be no requirement to Mirandize anyone upon arrest or before interrogation.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The whole "Miranda" issue is ridiculous. There should be no requirement to Mirandize anyone upon arrest or before interrogation.
    Great. Do you work for the Parkland PD or Broward Sheriff's Department? It would explain a lot.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,398x in 27,954 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    All other points aside, the question about the social worker is valid because they work for the state. Police or not, as an agent of the state and with a legal requirement that they reveal everything they learn from the accused (i.e. no patient confidentiality) then the Miranda question becomes valid.
    When I go to the DMV should they read me my rights? After all, they work for the state.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,484x in 15,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Do you work for the Parkland PD or Broward Sheriff's Department? It would explain a lot.
    Did you suffer from oxygen deprivation as a fetus? It would explain a lot.

You posted your stupid response without even knowing why. It was a conditioned response, like one of Pavlov's dogs.

Now, I invite you to actually think about what I said and your idiotic response to it and see if you can come up with something better. Explain WHY an arresting or interrogating officer who is trying to solve a crime should be required to tell his suspect that it is okay if he doesn't answer his questions. I am in no way suggesting anyone be stripped of their 5th Amendment protections. I am suggesting however that it should not be the responsibility of the police to educate someone about what rights they have.

Now, take a deep breath, pull your head out of your ass and THINK. You might actually like it.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-03-2018)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,755x in 1,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valid counterpoint.

Reminder that for most/all issues there are multiple sides to the story.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

Max Rockatansky (03-04-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Did you suffer from oxygen deprivation as a fetus? It would explain a lot.

You posted your stupid response without even knowing why. It was a conditioned response, like one of Pavlov's dogs.

Now, I invite you to actually think about what I said and your idiotic response to it and see if you can come up with something better. Explain WHY an arresting or interrogating officer who is trying to solve a crime should be required to tell his suspect that it is okay if he doesn't answer his questions. I am in no way suggesting anyone be stripped of their 5th Amendment protections. I am suggesting however that it should not be the responsibility of the police to educate someone about what rights they have.

Now, take a deep breath, pull your head out of your ass and THINK. You might actually like it.
    Translation: How dare you question me! $#@! you!

No worries. When you come off the ceiling and cool down, perhaps we can discuss this logically without all of your theatrics.

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,477x in 20,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I'm guessing this idiot decided not to ask for one. If he did, and one wasn't provided, he walks on anything said.
    I'd rather have the FBI and NSA crawling all over my ass than one pissed of social worker from CPS.
    A false accusation put them every where in my life. It cost me $2500 to protect myself from a non-charge with no evidence. Every time I went to their kangaroo court, I had my attorney.
    That pissed them off, but after two visits, them tossed both of us out of the building. But because I wouldn't answer their questions without an attorney, they marked me down as a child abuser. Now I cannot foster.
    A false accusation ruined my reputation because I wouldn't admit to something that never happened.
    The point being that this organization can ruin a family without LEO ever getting involved
    Ask most attorneys. CPS can ruin lives without due process and can cost a lot of money defending yourself against accusations from CPS
    If this guy talked to a social case worker without a lawyer, he's sc-a-a-a-a-rewed.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,657x in 25,180 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    When I go to the DMV should they read me my rights? After all, they work for the state.
    You aren't in custody at that time.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-05-2018)

+ Reply to Thread