User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Motors Accused of Rigging Diesel Pickup Truck Emissions

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post General Motors Accused of Rigging Diesel Pickup Truck Emissions

General Motors Accused of Rigging Diesel Pickup Truck Emissions. The article says that this is worse than the VW fraud.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...uck-emissions/
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The auto companies are getting busted one right after another, theres been several, if they cant build and present a product with honesty, they need to pay a huge price
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-29-2017),resister (07-11-2017)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,964x in 55,592 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    The auto companies are getting busted one right after another, theres been several, if they cant build and present a product with honesty, they need to pay a huge price

Here's a response from GM........

GM released a statement flatly denying the claims in the lawsuit, saying they “are baseless, and we will vigorously defend ourselves. The Duramax Diesel Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra comply with all U.S. EPA and CARB emissions regulations.”

so, let's wait and see where the fact go on this one.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-11-2017),DGUtley (05-29-2017),Peter1469 (05-29-2017)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post

Here's a response from GM........

GM released a statement flatly denying the claims in the lawsuit, saying they “are baseless, and we will vigorously defend ourselves. The Duramax Diesel Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra comply with all U.S. EPA and CARB emissions regulations.”

so, let's wait and see where the fact go on this one.
    Of course the reply sort of misses the point. VW's TDI fleet met the requirements. That wasn't the problem, the problem are the credits and the cleaner the car, the cleaner the fleet and the less credits you have to buy. So Clean Diesel TDI cars weren't as 'clean' as claimed but VW didn't have to buy as many credits!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Newpublius For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-11-2017)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    Of course the reply sort of misses the point. VW's TDI fleet met the requirements. That wasn't the problem, the problem are the credits and the cleaner the car, the cleaner the fleet and the less credits you have to buy. So Clean Diesel TDI cars weren't as 'clean' as claimed but VW didn't have to buy as many credits!

Their response doesn't miss the point. GM says the accusations are baseless. That means all of the accusations, not just some of them.

I have no problem waiting to see where the facts lead. No prejudging with me. I'll leave that for others who have less respect for the facts.

No big deal to me because I drive a Ford F-350 with a 6.7 liter power stroke diesel.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 05-29-2017 at 07:16 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (05-29-2017)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Just 100 firms account for 71% of global emissions...

Just 100 firms attributable for 71% of global emissions, report says
    Monday, 10 Jul 2017 | The Carbon Majors Report, published in collaboration with the Climate Accountability Institute, found that the scale of historical emissions was large enough to have contributed significantly to climate change since 1988. "If the trend in fossil fuel extraction continues over the next 28 years as it has over the previous 28, then global average temperatures would be on course to rise around 4 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels by the end of the century," the report said.
    Just 100 companies have been identified as accountable for more than 70 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, according to a report published Monday. The Carbon Majors Report, published in collaboration with the Climate Accountability Institute, found that more than half of industrial emissions worldwide could be sourced to only 25 corporate or state-owned businesses. The report said the scale of historical emissions is large enough to have contributed significantly to climate change since 1988. The same year the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was established.

Typically, large-scale greenhouse gas emissions data has been collected by country level. However, the Carbon Majors Report focused on fossil fuel producers in order to emphasize the role firms and their investors could play when attempting to tackle climate change in the future. The highest emitting companies over the last three decades included companies such as ExxonMobil, Shell, and BP. All three major oil and gas companies have faced heavy criticism for their respective environmental records in the past and have since embarked upon green investments. ExxonMobil announced in May last year it would start exploring carbon capture and storage, while BP and Shell have increased investment in renewables in recent years.

Global temperatures could rise by 4 degrees Celsius if trend continues

"If the trend in fossil fuel extraction continues over the next 28 years as it has over the previous 28, then global average temperatures would be on course to rise around 4 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels by the end of the century," the report said. Global average temperatures reaching such a level are likely to have potentially disastrous and irreversible effects on the planet's environment. In 2015's landmark Paris accord, almost all world leaders agreed to make sure global warming would stay "well below" 2 degrees Celsius and "pursue efforts" to limit a rise in temperature to 1.5 degrees Celsius. On June 1, President Donald Trump announced the U.S. would withdraw from the agreement and start talks to re-enter or renegotiate a new accord.

The report also found that around a fifth of global industrial greenhouse gas emissions were supported by public investors. Therefore, it follows investors could have a significant impact in influencing the actions of board-level decision-making moving forwards, the report added. Meantime, almost 100 companies including Apple, Google and beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev have committed to 100 percent renewable power under the RE100 initiative. The initiative is made up of some of the world's biggest businesses, all of which are committed to renewable energy.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/10/just-...port-says.html

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I am behind one of these smoke belching trucks I have to close my environmental controls and keep my windows up until away from them. Huge plumes of black smoke billow at every acceleration. I've always wondered how they can be street legal.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    When I am behind one of these smoke belching trucks I have to close my environmental controls and keep my windows up until away from them. Huge plumes of black smoke billow at every acceleration. I've always wondered how they can be street legal.

I just bought a new Ford F305 dually with a diesel engine. There's no exhaust smoke or diesel smell. It's even quieter than a gasoline engine.

I get over 20 MPG in town. I towed my 18,000 lb fifth wheel RV over two mountain passes and got 14 MPG. PLUS I did it at the speed limit. No bogging down on steep grades. It's incredible.

Of course It now has the added expense and nuisance of using diesel exhaust fluid.

Also I decided to buy a Ford because they didn't ask for a government hand out when they were in trouble like Dodge and GM did. Plus it looks better than either. It's a bad ass looking truck.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Volkswagen not the only one fibbin' `bout emissions tests...

Mazda, Suzuki, Yamaha acknowledge false emissions tests
    Aug. 9, `18 (UPI) -- Mazda, Suzuki and Yamaha have acknowledged running improper fuel economy and emissions tests after the transport ministry ordered an investigation last month.
    The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport said Thursday all three companies reported "inappropriate handling" of vehicle inspections. The probe comes after a ministry request for all Japanese automakers to investigate compliance procedures after findings earlier this year that Nissan Motor and Subaru falsified data.

Suzuki admitted to conducting the largest number of improper tests, 6,401 units out of 12,819 since 2012. Mazda spotted inapt testing on 72 vehicles out of 1,875 since 2014 and Yamaha found seven cases out of 335 since 2016. On Thursday, stock prices of all three companies took a dive, and at one point Suzuki and Yamaha shares fell by more than 5 percent.

Mazda, Suzuki and Yamaha have acknowledged occasions in which emissions tests were not appropriately conducted, officials said Thursday.

In lieu of the findings, the transport ministry is changing its ordinance to request automakers save test results and take measures to prevent altering the results. "It is extremely regrettable that this situation makes users anxious over the quality of vehicles and the quality control operations of carmakers," said Transport Minister Keiichi Ishii.

During a news conference Thursday, Suzuki President Toshihiro Suzuki apologized. "It is a significant fact that such a large number of our products were improperly processed, and we take it seriously," Toshihiro said. "We failed to educate our staff in an in-depth and extensive manner." Mazda declined to comment about the findings but said it would issue a statement later Thursday.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2018/08/09/North-Korea-calls-on-US-to-end-1950-53-Korean-War/1611533778436/

+ Reply to Thread