Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,293x in 4,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Keto Diet

I had been trying small things over the past couple years to combat an ever growing belly, but kept loosing motivation, or getting caught up in other things. Well, three weeks ago yesterday, I finally decided on drastic measures. Mind you, I started it right in the middle of an unexpected busy stretch at work, which helped on the exercise part (swimming in several pools each day), but it has died back down now for a few weeks, and I am getting back into planks and the ab roller.

I am 40 years old and 6”4, so normal is between 151 and 201 lbs. I was at 230, with a goal of 160-165. As of tonight, I am down to 207 (and holding for the past 2 days) and have lost 2 1/2 inches from my belly.

As far as diet, I have completely cut out soda (I drank way too much of it) and any other sugary drinks. Just water, lemon water and unsweetened tea. I cut out all potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. Instead, I have been eating a lot of chicken breast, tuna, eggs and plenty of fresh veggies. It took a bit of getting used to, and admittedly I have had a few spells of being lightheaded, or lacking motivation ( not energy, just getting started on things), but I am figuring out how to fix that within the diet. I am also proud that I have not cheated, nor even once.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has tried the Keto diet, which is basically what I am doing, and how it worked for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravens Fan For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-13-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do keto when trying to shed bodyfat, have gone from 225 to 208 in about 2 months with no loss of strength or muscle mass, the fat and protein keeps me satiated despite the somewhat aggressive caloric deficit. It works for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (03-13-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,310x in 10,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The keto diet is a toned down Atkins diet, when you eat protein and no carbs you go into ketosis which burns calories much faster. Ive done it and I lose very very fast. Unlike Raven, I get super energy and zoom around but there are downsides.

Its real hard on your kidneys and digestive track and the worse downside is people have a tendency to gain the weight back real fast if they are doing something to burn energy when they go back to carbs.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (03-13-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    I had been trying small things over the past couple years to combat an ever growing belly, but kept loosing motivation, or getting caught up in other things. Well, three weeks ago yesterday, I finally decided on drastic measures. Mind you, I started it right in the middle of an unexpected busy stretch at work, which helped on the exercise part (swimming in several pools each day), but it has died back down now for a few weeks, and I am getting back into planks and the ab roller.
    Lift weights. That will build muscle which will increase your metabolism.
    I am 40 years old and 6”4, so normal is between 151 and 201 lbs. I was at 230, with a goal of 160-165. As of tonight, I am down to 207 (and holding for the past 2 days) and have lost 2 1/2 inches from my belly.
    At 6'4" I would think that normal is close to 200. But that includes lots of muscle mass. Don't focus on the pounds. Focus on the percent of body fat. Aim for 15-16%.
    As far as diet, I have completely cut out soda (I drank way too much of it) and any other sugary drinks. Just water, lemon water and unsweetened tea. I cut out all potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. Instead, I have been eating a lot of chicken breast, tuna, eggs and plenty of fresh veggies. It took a bit of getting used to, and admittedly I have had a few spells of being lightheaded, or lacking motivation ( not energy, just getting started on things), but I am figuring out how to fix that within the diet. I am also proud that I have not cheated, nor even once.
    When I want to lose weight I do what you state above plus cut out milk. Didn't realize it was the Keto diet. I actually never had an energy problem on that diet. But I believe some people are prone to accept more protein and others more carbs. In fact I read, and may have posted, a recent article that said just that: no difference between results of low fat or low carb diets. You just need to pick which is best for you.
    Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has tried the Keto diet, which is basically what I am doing, and how it worked for you.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (03-13-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (03-13-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A 6'4" I think you would look emaciated at 151. I'm 5'7" and 135.

Anyway, cutting out the soda and sugary drinks is a major step. I eat a lot of whole grains and legumes and I think it would be helpful to include those on your diet. At the very least it would alleviate the side effects but see what kind of results you've gotten after a couple months.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-13-2018),Ravens Fan (03-13-2018)

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,275
    Achievements:
    Ravens Fan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    The keto diet is a toned down Atkins diet, when you eat protein and no carbs you go into ketosis which burns calories much faster. Ive done it and I lose very very fast. Unlike Raven, I get super energy and zoom around but there are downsides.

Its real hard on your kidneys and digestive track and the worse downside is people have a tendency to gain the weight back real fast if they are doing something to burn energy when they go back to carbs.
    I am getting energy, just not motivation to get off my ass, lol. But a lot of that is that I'm bored often with nothing really important to do for a few weeks yet. By the time I start eating carbs again, I will be working 12 hour days and weekends again, swimming in 4 pools a day, so I don't think it will come back like that. But I will be watching it carefully and will add things back into my diet slowly to make sure I am managing it right. That's my plan, at least.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Lift weights. That will build muscle which will increase your metabolism.

At 6'4" I would think that normal is close to 200. But that includes lots of muscle mass. Don't focus on the pounds. Focus on the percent of body fat. Aim for 15-16%.
    I do plan to start lifting weights, just haven't yet. I am hoping that the focus on my abs will help build muscle too. I need to figure out how to know my percent of body fat, as I've never been the health nut before.

When I want to lose weight I do what you state above plus cut out milk. Didn't realize it was the Keto diet. I actually never had an energy problem on that diet. But I believe some people are prone to accept more protein and others more carbs. In fact I read, and may have posted, a recent article that said just that: no difference between results of low fat or low carb diets. You just need to pick which is best for you.
    I really don't drink milk too often to begin with, but haven't had any since starting the diet. I will stay away from that as well. I have read that as well, but so far I am loosing and at a rate I am happy with so far.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mister D;2307893]A 6'4" I think you would look emaciated at 151. I'm 5'7" and 135. [QUOTE]

I stuck at 165 for years, regardless of what I ate, and was pretty happy there. I have thought about going as low as 150 before starting back on normal food, incase I have issues with controlling it, but dont want to look Ethiopian either, lol.

Anyway, cutting out the soda and sugary drinks is a major step. I eat a lot of whole grains and legumes and I think it would be helpful to include those on your diet. At the very least it would alleviate the side effects but see what kind of results you've gotten after a couple months.
    Yes, the sodas were huge. I never realized just how bad a sugar addiction can be, complete with withdraw and cravings. I have never liked lemon water or tea without sugar, but after 2 weeks of nothing but water, it actually doesn't taste too bad. On this diet, I am staying away from grains all together, but legumes are listed as being really good for you. I have never tried them though, and can be a picky eater.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy floor scales that will measure your weight, body fat, and other things. They are not expensive.
    I do plan to start lifting weights, just haven't yet. I am hoping that the focus on my abs will help build muscle too. I need to figure out how to know my percent of body fat, as I've never been the health nut before.

I really don't drink milk too often to begin with, but haven't had any since starting the diet. I will stay away from that as well. I have read that as well, but so far I am loosing and at a rate I am happy with so far.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (03-13-2018)

+ Reply to Thread