Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,310x in 10,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Labor unions' self-interested scheme to abolish tipping

For years the rule of thumb if you got good service is 15% of the total bill. Now that has been raised to 20-25% even after the increase in cost to dine out.

Now theres moves to include a 20% tip automatically to the bill. I am dead set against this. Last year I was in a restaurant in NY that added 20% gratuity to the bill, the service was terrible and there no incentive to give good service if you are automatically making money. Besides that another point.

If you work in a restaurant that serves alcohol and in a 8 hr shift you serve a modest and I mean this is modest 1500.00 gross product at 20% gratuity you are making 300.00 whether your service sucks or not. In NYC a waiter can deliver 4,000 in product in a shift.

Im for a minimum gratuity of 10% because there are stiffs out there that wont reward good service they are cheap mutts.

I am a big tipper I realize these workers rely on it to make a living.

Is the Labor Department scheming to take away restaurant servers' tips? That's the message some labor advocates are sending in response to a proposed rule-making by the Trump administration that would permit kitchen staff in certain states to receive a portion of servers' tips.

More than 300,000 comments were submitted on the rule; many were copy-and-paste statements generated by labor groups. But mixed among these comments were reflections of genuine anger from servers who were concerned about losing their tips. As a 17-year veteran of the service industry, I hear their concerns. I share them. But I also know that they're based on a deep misunderstanding of what a tip pool is and why it can be necessary.
    To understand this issue, you first need to understand how servers and bartenders get paid. In most states, we're paid a base wage below the minimum wage, based on the recognition that we're earning significantly more than the minimum wage when tips are included. (If we don't, the restaurant owner is legally required to top us off so that we never make less than the minimum.) The difference between the full minimum wage and our base wage is called the "tip credit," and it allows restaurants with narrow profit margins to properly staff and keep menu prices low for guests.
    A few states have rejected this approach, including my home state of Minnesota. Here, servers and bartenders must be paid the full minimum wage in addition to their tips. This approach is harmful to the restaurant industry, and I've actively fought to change it where I work in Minneapolis. The evidence is on my side: In states that have passed a higher minimum wage without implementing a tip-credit, communities are seeing heavy restaurant-exit. Large shifts to counter service models are occurring, creating restaurants which employ fewer people who make less money due to higher labor costs.

Restaurants that are able to survive must pay their already highly-paid, tipped staff substantially more after the minimum wage rises. That means kitchen staff are left out from the prosperity in the front of the house, creating a larger gap in the wage disparity between servers and cooks.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...bolish-tipping
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,441x in 14,732 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    For years the rule of thumb if you got good service is 15% of the total bill. Now that has been raised to 20-25% even after the increase in cost to dine out.

Now theres moves to include a 20% tip automatically to the bill. I am dead set against this. Last year I was in a restaurant in NY that added 20% gratuity to the bill, the service was terrible and there no incentive to give good service if you are automatically making money. Besides that another point.

If you work in a restaurant that serves alcohol and in a 8 hr shift you serve a modest and I mean this is modest 1500.00 gross product at 20% gratuity you are making 300.00 whether your service sucks or not. In NYC a waiter can deliver 4,000 in product in a shift.

Im for a minimum gratuity of 10% because there are stiffs out there that wont reward good service they are cheap mutts.

I am a big tipper I realize these workers rely on it to make a living.

Is the Labor Department scheming to take away restaurant servers' tips? That's the message some labor advocates are sending in response to a proposed rule-making by the Trump administration that would permit kitchen staff in certain states to receive a portion of servers' tips.

More than 300,000 comments were submitted on the rule; many were copy-and-paste statements generated by labor groups. But mixed among these comments were reflections of genuine anger from servers who were concerned about losing their tips. As a 17-year veteran of the service industry, I hear their concerns. I share them. But I also know that they're based on a deep misunderstanding of what a tip pool is and why it can be necessary.
    To understand this issue, you first need to understand how servers and bartenders get paid. In most states, we're paid a base wage below the minimum wage, based on the recognition that we're earning significantly more than the minimum wage when tips are included. (If we don't, the restaurant owner is legally required to top us off so that we never make less than the minimum.) The difference between the full minimum wage and our base wage is called the "tip credit," and it allows restaurants with narrow profit margins to properly staff and keep menu prices low for guests.
    A few states have rejected this approach, including my home state of Minnesota. Here, servers and bartenders must be paid the full minimum wage in addition to their tips. This approach is harmful to the restaurant industry, and I've actively fought to change it where I work in Minneapolis. The evidence is on my side: In states that have passed a higher minimum wage without implementing a tip-credit, communities are seeing heavy restaurant-exit. Large shifts to counter service models are occurring, creating restaurants which employ fewer people who make less money due to higher labor costs.

Restaurants that are able to survive must pay their already highly-paid, tipped staff substantially more after the minimum wage rises. That means kitchen staff are left out from the prosperity in the front of the house, creating a larger gap in the wage disparity between servers and cooks.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/l...bolish-tipping
    It's probably time to just force the food industry to pay at least minimum wage, weed out talented staff and just pay what's on the bill and the employer can pay the waitress.
    I will miss young waitresses pretending to flirt with me to get a better tip though. But a tip, should be just that , a tip not an employer demanding that you pay a percentage of their employees wages .

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    It's probably time to just force the food industry to pay at least minimum wage, weed out talented staff and just pay what's on the bill and the employer can pay the waitress.
    I will miss young waitresses pretending to flirt with me to get a better tip though. But a tip, should be just that , a tip not an employer demanding that you pay a percentage of their employees wages .
    You hit it right on the head, employers forcing patrons to pay their employees a fair wage.
    Add it to the bill and if your restaurant merits the price then people will come. If not close the doors, someone else will open an establishment.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

donttread (03-13-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a restaurant in Asheville that had a no tipping policy but paid their waitstaff a higher wage. This was supposed to insure the staff was paid a better than average wage. The last time we went, and it will be the last time, they had rescinded the no tipping policy, cut their employee's wages but made no changes in the cost of the meals.

I would rather see a no tipping policy in all restaurants as long as the staff is paid accordingly. Increase the cost of the food to include an average tip (bear in mind not all patrons tip anything or tip very little although the IRS taxes you on the basis of 15% of the cost of each meal). I have heard stories of where the wait staff, after paying the mandatory tax and a percentage of the meal to bus boys and bartenders and hostess walks out with nothing or even in the hole.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

donttread (03-13-2018)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,131
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend whose daughter tends bar in a restaurant/bar - more bar than restaurant. She brings home between one to two hundred a night in tips. I think the establishment would have to raise her base wage a great deal to compensate for what she gets in tips. People are funny. If you add $2 to every drink, people will go somewhere else, but don't mind tipping $2 on a $5-$7 drink.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I have a friend whose daughter tends bar in a restaurant/bar - more bar than restaurant. She brings home between one to two hundred a night in tips. I think the establishment would have to raise her base wage a great deal to compensate for what she gets in tips. People are funny. If you add $2 to every drink, people will go somewhere else, but don't mind tipping $2 on a $5-$7 drink.
    Your friend's daughter must be absolutely exceptional and work in a place where patrons are bullied into tipping because that is not the norm for most restaurants.

Many restaurants over staff the waitstaff in order to not have patrons wait to be served. The net result of that is too many waiters chasing too few tables.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 3,131
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Your friend's daughter must be absolutely exceptional and work in a place where patrons are bullied into tipping because that is not the norm for most restaurants.

Many restaurants over staff the waitstaff in order to not have patrons wait to be served. The net result of that is too many waiters chasing too few tables.
    This place is more bar than restaurant, and they don't have a lot of waitstaff. People can go to the bar and order their drinks directly from the bartender(s), so a lot of the tips go directly to the bartender. No one is bullied into tipping. It has a core of repeat clients who drink there daily as well as the neighborhood people who go for meals and drinks on a less regular basis. It's been in continuous operation for over 30 years.

My friend's daughter works the night shift, which is more drinkers than eaters and as you know drinkers tend to be generous, especially with a pretty young bartender.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,304
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,341x in 15,822 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of obligatory tipping is absurd. No customer should ever be "required" to leave a tip. Nor should there be some formula to determine what size tip is acceptable to leave.

If a customer thinks the service was worthy of something over and above the cost of the meal, he can determine what it worth to hm and if he is so inclined, leave that as a gratuity for the wait staff. If not, he should not feel any pressure to do so.

The cost of providing service to the customer should be part of the cost of doing business and should be borne by the business owner.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post

Nathan theres many places where bar tenders and wait staff make a helluva good living
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Probably a lot of regulars who tip hi to get good service on a regular basis.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread