User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7-year-old, ‘the only white girl in her class,’ cast to play supremacist

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7-year-old, ‘the only white girl in her class,’ cast to play supremacist

Ga. parents furious after 7-year-old, ‘the only white girl in her class,’ cast to play supremacist

A Georgia school district is investigating after a 7-year-old student, “the only white girl in her class,” according to her father, was cast to play a segregationist in a school play.
    In a video of the play, 7-year-old Anastasia Bertram, playing the part of a segregationist, yelled at a group of black children to “go away, you don’t belong here!” She then marched with a sign that read, “Go home,” on one side and “Cursed is the man who integrates” on the other, ABC-affiliated WSB-TV reported.
    Douglas County School District said it is investigating the March 2 incident at Burnett Elementary School in Douglasville, after the girl’s parents complained that they were never notified about their daughter’s involvement in the play, and that they had no idea the nature of her role until they were sitting in the audience.
    The video that infuriated the parents of a 7-year-old after her teacher had her portray a school segregationist during a school play without their knowledge or consent. “Go away, you don’t belong here.” Then she held up a sign that read: “Go Home.” Details @wsbtvpic.twitter.com/OwTXFy3mPu
    — Wendy Halloran (@WHalloranWSB) March 15, 2018
    The Bertrams told WSB-TV that Anastasia‘s teacher later explained to them that their daughter had volunteered for the part after another student struggled to learn the lines and follow directions.“She’s 7!” Anastasia’s mother, Amber, told WSB-TV. “And you put her onstage and made her think what she was doing was OK? That’s not OK.”
    “Other parents started looking at me,” the girl’s father, Heath, told the Daily Mail. “She is the only white girl in her class, and one of the very few in the whole school.”
    “Giving her the position of a white supremacist at the age of 7 was unacceptable,” he said.
    The Bertrams said they decided to pull both their daughters out of the school following the incident. Their transfer was approved by the district and they will start at a different school Friday, the Daily Mail reported.
    “We did not feel they could stay in an environment like that,” Mr. Bertram said.

Douglas County School District Superintendent Trent North apologized to the family in a voicemail.

“I am calling to apologize. I was unaware of the treatment of your daughter,” Mr. North said, WSB-TV reported.

The Bertrams said they believed the apology was disingenuous.

“Only because he was informed we were talking with you and that this was gonna go on the air and he didn’t want it on the air,” Mrs. Bertram said.

District spokeswoman Portia Lake told WSB-TV that an investigation into the incident had been launched

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...nly-white-gir/
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to laugh out loud but I did.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTF kind of IDIOTS are having 2nd graders put on plays about segregation??? What a bunch of leftist JACKASSES.

Let the kids be KIDS....good grief...
    De Oppresso Liber

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ga. parents furious after 7-year-old, ‘the only white girl in her class,’ cast to play supremacist

A Georgia school district is investigating after a 7-year-old student, “the only white girl in her class,” according to her father, was cast to play a segregationist in a school play.
    In a video of the play, 7-year-old Anastasia Bertram, playing the part of a segregationist, yelled at a group of black children to “go away, you don’t belong here!” She then marched with a sign that read, “Go home,” on one side and “Cursed is the man who integrates” on the other, ABC-affiliated WSB-TV reported.
    Douglas County School District said it is investigating the March 2 incident at Burnett Elementary School in Douglasville, after the girl’s parents complained that they were never notified about their daughter’s involvement in the play, and that they had no idea the nature of her role until they were sitting in the audience.
    The video that infuriated the parents of a 7-year-old after her teacher had her portray a school segregationist during a school play without their knowledge or consent. “Go away, you don’t belong here.” Then she held up a sign that read: “Go Home.” Details @wsbtvpic.twitter.com/OwTXFy3mPu
    — Wendy Halloran (@WHalloranWSB) March 15, 2018
    The Bertrams told WSB-TV that Anastasia‘s teacher later explained to them that their daughter had volunteered for the part after another student struggled to learn the lines and follow directions.“She’s 7!” Anastasia’s mother, Amber, told WSB-TV. “And you put her onstage and made her think what she was doing was OK? That’s not OK.”
    “Other parents started looking at me,” the girl’s father, Heath, told the Daily Mail. “She is the only white girl in her class, and one of the very few in the whole school.”
    “Giving her the position of a white supremacist at the age of 7 was unacceptable,” he said.
    The Bertrams said they decided to pull both their daughters out of the school following the incident. Their transfer was approved by the district and they will start at a different school Friday, the Daily Mail reported.
    “We did not feel they could stay in an environment like that,” Mr. Bertram said.

Douglas County School District Superintendent Trent North apologized to the family in a voicemail.

“I am calling to apologize. I was unaware of the treatment of your daughter,” Mr. North said, WSB-TV reported.

The Bertrams said they believed the apology was disingenuous.

“Only because he was informed we were talking with you and that this was gonna go on the air and he didn’t want it on the air,” Mrs. Bertram said.

District spokeswoman Portia Lake told WSB-TV that an investigation into the incident had been launched

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...nly-white-gir/
    I don't blame the parents for being upset. That little girl had no idea what she was being asked to do and how it might have repercussions. The principal of that school has some explaining to do.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Grokmaster (03-15-2018),roadmaster (03-15-2018)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I don't blame the parents for being upset. That little girl had no idea what she was being asked to do and how it might have repercussions. The principal of that school has some explaining to do.
    You ain't lyin'. A SECOND GRADE PLAY, for Pete's sake....

Idjuts...damaging our kids, stealing their childhoods....makes me feel like..

angry-wolf.jpg
    De Oppresso Liber

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    You ain't lyin'. A SECOND GRADE PLAY, for Pete's sake....

Idjuts...damaging our kids, stealing their childhoods....makes me feel like..

Attachment 23024
    Yeah, pretty much a subject matter better directly addressed in high school. In grade two you address it indirectly, and simplistically as in a take on Swan lake.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread