Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,009x in 12,235 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wild Kingdom

This is getting out of hand.

The other day, the wife walked outside and saw a couple from the neighborhood standing on the sidewalk across the street, staring at our house with their mouths open. She came out into the yard, looked up and saw a great blue heron - which is one big-ass bird, thank you! - standing on the edge of our roof, staring down at the wife's goldfish pond. (These are big goldfish, 5 or 6 inches long.) She moved a big yard umbrella to where it covers the pond and is putting some wire netting over the pond today.

Then yesterday morning, at 3:20 a.m., I'm awakened by a lot of screeching and yowling coming from the back yard. At least one cat and at least one raccoon, I believe. Our two dogs were whining and all excited, about to come unglued, wanting to go out and join in the fun. So I go outside with a flashlight and shine it around, and eventually I see something swimming in the pool. A raccoon - the one we've named 'Rocket' or one of his buddies - is swimming in my pool. My first thought was, "I hope he can get out by himself, 'cause I have no clue how to get a raccoon out of a pool without at least one of us getting hurt". As it turned out, he had no trouble getting out of the pool - those little buggers are agile - and he did so and took off around the side of the house.

We also see the occasional coyote trotting along the sidewalk in broad daylight, pretending to be a dog. At least they haven't organized any pool parties in my back yard - yet.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-25-2018),Dr. Who (08-25-2019),Helena (08-25-2019),MisterVeritis (03-16-2018),Peter1469 (03-16-2018)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gal's dog was partially eaten by coyotes in Peoria Arizona. What a shame, I loved that little dog. Had a giant bee colony in my wall on the front of the house. They tore a 8'x5' chuck of stucco out and killed thousands and thousands with some spray. Then dug out a pile of honeycomb that took two wheel barrel loads to get to the curb. I would have tasted the honey if it weren't for the dead bees and pesticide all over it.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We put dry food out for a cat that has been coming by for several years. Her bowl is on a tile-topped counter on the other side of a large window behind the kitchen sink. So yesterday morning I walk into the kitchen before the sun was up and Rocket - a big, handsome grey trash panda, at least 35-40 pounds - is eating, and he has a companion. It was only the second time I'd ever seen (I'm assuming) Mrs. Rocket. She is slightly smaller, and apparently very shy, because as soon as she saw me she dropped off the counter and was gone. Rocket, on the other hand, continued eating, even when I came over and was running water in the sink, less than three feet away. He'd glance up at me for half a second occasionally, then go back to eating. They certainly are smart creatures; apparently he has decided I'm no threat, at least while there's a window between us.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-25-2018),MisterVeritis (10-30-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,491x in 25,976 Posts
    Mentioned
    1166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up around a wildlife preserve, so I saw a pretty decent amount of wildlife passing through.

Common sightings: Squirrels, robins, chipmunks.

Less common sightings: Cardinal, golden finch, blue jay, woodpecker, deer, hawk, geese, duck, crow, raven, pigeon, seagull, raccoon.

Rare sightings: Fox, groundhog, humming bird, crane, owl, possum, coyote.

Most memorable: During winter, I was at my neighbor's house and there was a fox rolling around and playing in the snow. We were watching it through the window and it was about two feet away from us. It was like being at the zoo. I got to witness this private moment of a beautiful animal having pure fun in the snow.

A hawk flew right through the wiring meshing of my neighbor's gazebo and injured itself. I stepped inside the gazebo with the hawk about 2 feet away from me. It just sat there, probably dazed from its head injury. I called up animal control and they came and retrieved it and nursed it back to health. They released it back into the wild a week later.

I was standing on my neighbor's deck around four in the afternoon during the late fall. All the leaves were gone and I was looking into the large oak forest behind their house and up in a high branch was this huge owl just sitting there with the crimson of the low hanging sun shining on him. I watched it for like five minutes just sitting there and then it launched from the branch, glided across the forest on its huge wings, and flapped away into the tree line.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 10-25-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-25-2018),Standing Wolf (10-30-2018)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,737x in 55,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    This is getting out of hand.

The other day, the wife walked outside and saw a couple from the neighborhood standing on the sidewalk across the street, staring at our house with their mouths open. She came out into the yard, looked up and saw a great blue heron - which is one big-ass bird, thank you! - standing on the edge of our roof, staring down at the wife's goldfish pond. (These are big goldfish, 5 or 6 inches long.) She moved a big yard umbrella to where it covers the pond and is putting some wire netting over the pond today.

Then yesterday morning, at 3:20 a.m., I'm awakened by a lot of screeching and yowling coming from the back yard. At least one cat and at least one raccoon, I believe. Our two dogs were whining and all excited, about to come unglued, wanting to go out and join in the fun. So I go outside with a flashlight and shine it around, and eventually I see something swimming in the pool. A raccoon - the one we've named 'Rocket' or one of his buddies - is swimming in my pool. My first thought was, "I hope he can get out by himself, 'cause I have no clue how to get a raccoon out of a pool without at least one of us getting hurt". As it turned out, he had no trouble getting out of the pool - those little buggers are agile - and he did so and took off around the side of the house.

We also see the occasional coyote trotting along the sidewalk in broad daylight, pretending to be a dog. At least they haven't organized any pool parties in my back yard - yet.
    I live within the city limits. I see Blue Herron every day. They are like crows here. In my front yard every day I see squirrels, raccoons and rabbits. The occasional deer wanders through. They assault my garden. We had a little black bear in our yard a couple of years ago.

Then the Orcas are out in the Sound when the salmon are running. At least they chase out the seals and otters. Otters are nasty little $#@!ers.

A couple of days ago I was out in the yard raking leaves and a bald eagle flew by with a duck in his talons.

If I can’t figure out what I want for lunch, I just go to the beach and grab a few oysters and small bucket of clams.

I guess I take all this wildlife for granted.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rocket is back. We've missed him for a few months, but last week I noticed that the food we leave out for the cat who hangs around outside was half dumped out on the counter, and I suspected it might be our wayward trash panda. Sure enough, on Friday he was up there chowing down around 5:30 a.m., when it was still dark out, and I've seen him a few times since then.

This morning he was on the counter when I went out to fix breakfast, and when he saw me he stood up on his back feet just as tall as he could get for about fifteen seconds and just stared at me. I don't know anything about raccoon body language, so I don't know if he was expressing curiosity or if it was a "Don't mess with me, I'm big" message being conveyed.

- Larry McMurtry

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (08-25-2019),Dr. Who (08-25-2019),Peter1469 (08-22-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I guess I take all this wildlife for granted.
    Sounds very nice.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,737x in 55,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Sounds very nice.
    What?

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,781x in 4,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    We put dry food out for a cat that has been coming by for several years. Her bowl is on a tile-topped counter on the other side of a large window behind the kitchen sink. So yesterday morning I walk into the kitchen before the sun was up and Rocket - a big, handsome grey trash panda, at least 35-40 pounds - is eating, and he has a companion. It was only the second time I'd ever seen (I'm assuming) Mrs. Rocket. She is slightly smaller, and apparently very shy, because as soon as she saw me she dropped off the counter and was gone. Rocket, on the other hand, continued eating, even when I came over and was running water in the sink, less than three feet away. He'd glance up at me for half a second occasionally, then go back to eating. They certainly are smart creatures; apparently he has decided I'm no threat, at least while there's a window between us.
    I am fortunate that wildlife is abundant where I live. Two herds of white tails, totaling about 18, with 5 small ones this year. A gaggle of Canadian Geese, ducks, at least a dozen turkeys, our mated pair of Eagles (and young) a Heron or two (considering the occasional racket, maybe two or three) fox, just sighted a coyoted the other day, rabbits, raccoons, possum, skunk.

We've learned to not leave cat food out on the deck, they throw a midnight madness party if we forget to bring it in....
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

+ Reply to Thread