Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,639x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    In these fora, I see misconceptions all the time about what makes a "good" Christian. Leftists/Liberals like to equate government welfare largess as fulfilling the idea of "feeding the poor", etc. rather than doing it out of their OWN resources, as it should be. But I submit the BIBLICAL definition of a Christian, as outlined throughout Scripture, is acknowledging there is absolutely zero good in mankind. Romans Chapter 3:9-20 talks about the unrighteousness of man, and that no good can ever earn him Heaven, nor a relationship with God. "What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. As it is written:

'There is no one righteous, not even one;
    there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
    All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one.'" (NIV)

So basically, in God's economy because of our sin, we have zero chance at attaining Heaven, even though we might seem "good" or "moral", it is still not enough!
    So what EXACTLY is the solution? The Cross! Christ's death on the cross is God's way to establish the relationship between Himself and mankind. This was the full payment for the penalty of our sins; past, present, and future. "As far as the East is from the West, I will remember your sins no more", says the Lord of Hosts. Does this give us license to sin? No, but God's forgiveness does give us true freedom in Him. This is the right definition of a Christian. The works we do come as a result of our salvation and the purpose is to bring others to the Cross.

I think a lot of people who call themselves "Christians" when asked ( including me up until fairly recently) really don't know or care if Jesus was the son of God or just a great guy or as some believe a myth.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    In these fora, I see misconceptions all the time about what makes a "good" Christian. Leftists/Liberals like to equate government welfare largess as fulfilling the idea of "feeding the poor", etc. rather than doing it out of their OWN resources, as it should be. But I submit the BIBLICAL definition of a Christian, as outlined throughout Scripture, is acknowledging there is absolutely zero good in mankind. Romans Chapter 3:9-20 talks about the unrighteousness of man, and that no good can ever earn him Heaven, nor a relationship with God. "What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. As it is written:

'There is no one righteous, not even one;
    there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
    All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good,
    not even one.'" (NIV)

So basically, in God's economy because of our sin, we have zero chance at attaining Heaven, even though we might seem "good" or "moral", it is still not enough!
    So what EXACTLY is the solution? The Cross! Christ's death on the cross is God's way to establish the relationship between Himself and mankind. This was the full payment for the penalty of our sins; past, present, and future. "As far as the East is from the West, I will remember your sins no more", says the Lord of Hosts. Does this give us license to sin? No, but God's forgiveness does give us true freedom in Him. This is the right definition of a Christian. The works we do come as a result of our salvation and the purpose is to bring others to the Cross.
    I thought this was such a good post, I joined the board! Thanks.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    What false prophets will tell you, "you must turn from all you sins", trust me you will sin after you are saved. He was talking about repentance meaning turn away from false gods and believe on Him. "You must attend a church, that is not what Jesus said in order to be saved. You must be Baptized, no not to be saved, you can do that afterwards but that doesn't save you. It's not a process, once you believe on Him you are saved right then and there. It takes faith to believe He is the only ticket to Heaven and was from the beginning
    Wonder how many do-overs you get.

+ Reply to Thread