Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Feminist Gender Wars Begin

The UK Labour Party is becoming sharply divided over the impact of the government's proposed Gender Recognition Act, as some 500 feminists and allies recently met in secret to discuss the policy effects while prominent men associated with the party organized harassment campaigns against them. The proposed Gender Recognition Act would allow people to legally identify themselves as a different gender without needing to undergo medical checks, which in turn would make it easier for men to pose as women for access to private, female-only spaces. Additionally, Labour recently announced that self-identification as female is enough to get on all-women shortlists for parliamentary selections; a change that reduces female representation in the party. The feminists meeting in secret describe it as but the first in a series of such gatherings leading to the establishment of what they call "a new women's liberation movement" later this year.

If the late 1970s and early '80s featured what were known as the feminist sex wars -- a polarized conflict between radical and liberal feminists over whether sexual relationships should be examined for misogynistic content -- then this development appears to mark the formal beginning of what might be called the feminist gender wars between the same camps: a conflict emerging as fundamental over whether one's gender (as contrasted with one's biological sex) is innate or instead a social construct that mostly benefits men at the expense of women. The liberals insist that one's gender is innate and biological sex a construct, while the radicals contend the opposite: that one's sex is innate and gender a construct.

I suppose one might conversely argue that such a war against "cis" (i.e. real) women has been going on for a number of years already, complete with extensive censorship of all who question the notion of innate gender, but I'm generously characterizing this as the formal beginning of the culture war in this area in the sense that this development marks the first campaign of organized pushback to exist offline that I'm aware of, and thus it is now starting to become a slightly less one-sided conflict than it has been up to now. It will probably spread to many other countries. This could be an important, even defining, development in the history of the women's movement. I've already explained which side of this dispute I'm on, personally.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-18-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,592x in 94,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the UK should be focused on important issues. Such as a hostile power assassinating people on its territory.

This gender issue is just for the media and a distraction for citizens.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-18-2018),Cthulhu (03-25-2018),MisterVeritis (03-18-2018),stjames1_53 (03-18-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The proposed Gender Recognition Act would allow people to legally identify themselves as a different gender without needing to undergo medical checks, which in turn would make it easier for men to pose as women for access to private, female-only spaces.

Every action has a reaction, nothing is 100% flawless

Just like transexuals in womens bathrooms, allows pedophilles and rapists to pose as transexuals and have easy untethered access to their prey.

This genderless, transexual society progressives are trying to create are for less than 1% of the population at the expense of the rest
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (03-25-2018),IMPress Polly (04-03-2018),stjames1_53 (03-18-2018)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Croft's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 493x in 293 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lunacy marches on. What a weird time we live in.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Croft For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-03-2018),MisterVeritis (03-18-2018),nathanbforrest45 (03-18-2018),stjames1_53 (03-18-2018)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,272x in 20,298 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    War? Gender wars? I don't think the OP knows what war is. People die in wars.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    St. James wrote:
    War? Gender wars? I don't think the OP knows what war is. People die in wars.
    *sighs* You know what I meant.

This post just illustrates once more that you are a dishonest contributor. Even on an issue where we clearly agree in principle, you HAVE to respond in a hostile way anyway simply because you are responding to someone you hate: me.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually a rabbit. Claiming I must be human is only a specie centric view of life. I demand to be allowed all the rights and privileges of rabbithood.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (03-25-2018),MisterVeritis (03-18-2018)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The UK Labour Party is becoming sharply divided over the impact of the government's proposed Gender Recognition Act, as some 500 feminists and allies recently met in secret to discuss the policy effects while prominent men associated with the party organized harassment campaigns against them. The proposed Gender Recognition Act would allow people to legally identify themselves as a different gender without needing to undergo medical checks, which in turn would make it easier for men to pose as women for access to private, female-only spaces. Additionally, Labour recently announced that self-identification as female is enough to get on all-women shortlists for parliamentary selections; a change that reduces female representation in the party. The feminists meeting in secret describe it as but the first in a series of such gatherings leading to the establishment of what they call "a new women's liberation movement" later this year.

If the late 1970s and early '80s featured what were known as the feminist sex wars -- a polarized conflict between radical and liberal feminists over whether sexual relationships should be examined for misogynistic content -- then this development appears to mark the formal beginning of what might be called the feminist gender wars between the same camps: a conflict emerging as fundamental over whether one's gender (as contrasted with one's biological sex) is innate or instead a social construct that mostly benefits men at the expense of women. The liberals insist that one's gender is innate and biological sex a construct, while the radicals contend the opposite: that one's sex is innate and gender a construct.

I suppose one might conversely argue that such a war against "cis" (i.e. real) women has been going on for a number of years already, complete with extensive censorship of all who question the notion of innate gender, but I'm generously characterizing this as the formal beginning of the culture war in this area in the sense that this development marks the first campaign of organized pushback to exist offline that I'm aware of, and thus it is now starting to become a slightly less one-sided conflict than it has been up to now. It will probably spread to many other countries. This could be an important, even defining, development in the history of the women's movement. I've already explained which side of this dispute I'm on, personally.

"Female only shortlist" for parliament sounds like really blatant gender discrimination to me. Kiss high level female sports good bye

Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,251x in 27,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I am actually a rabbit. Claiming I must be human is only a specie centric view of life. I demand to be allowed all the rights and privileges of rabbithood.
    Hmmm. Rabbit stew...
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    donttread wrote:
    "Female only shortlist" for parliament sounds like really blatant gender discrimination to me.
    That the British parliament has forever been majority-male (currently 68% male to be specific, and traditionally more so) because the parties all field mostly male candidates for public office is what seems sexist to me.

+ Reply to Thread