Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Year of the Nintendo Switch

Well it's been a year now since Nintendo launched their latest home console, the Switch. What a year it's been too! Especially throughout last year, Nintendo has seemed to release a new first-party Switch title almost every month, and that incredible first-party support right out of the starting gate has ensured the system a very strong launch: 15 million Switch systems have been sold to date worldwide, which, for those who don't know, means that the Switch is currently outpacing even the Wii -- Nintendo's top-selling home console to date -- in rate-of-sale terms relative to the latter's first year on the market! To put matters in further perspective, Nintendo sold only 14 million units of their preceding home console, the Wii U, from its launch in 2012 to date. The Switch has bested that total in just one year! THAT, gentlemen and gentlemen, is what's called a comeback!

What's drawing people to the Switch? Mostly it's the system's rapidly-expanding library of exclusive titles combined with its reasonable pricing. Nintendo has so far supported this system better than I believe any other that they've released to date, and that's definitely the main factor in play here.

Switch owners are also different consumers than those of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, taken as a whole, as one can tell by the fact that third-party, multi-platform titles, which largely drive the sales of the other systems, seem to fare poorly on the Switch compared to how they do on those other systems, even after you adjust for the fact that there are fewer Switch systems on the market as of yet. In stark contrast, the Switch versions of smaller, independently-developed games invariably outsell the versions available on other platforms despite the fact that there are far more PS4's and XB1 systems on the market as yet; a fact that suggests Switch owners possess a particularly strong appetite for smaller, often more creative, games.

In fact, Nintendo is leaning into the success of smaller games on their platform with an upcoming broadcast slated for March 20th called Nindies that will highlight upcoming indie releases for the Switch, such as Kentucky Route Zero, Runner 3, and Wargroove. Many of my favorite games from the current console generation (most of which are indies), such as Celeste, Night in the Woods, Crypt of the NecroDancer, The Flame in the Flood, and Oxenfree, have already been ported to the Switch and are selling best on that system. Kentucky Route Zero has also been a favorite of mine from the current console generation! Personally, I'm excited to see Nintendo actively supporting smaller game developers in this way, as the indie market tends to be where I gravitate to the most anymore. Now I can play all these games portably!

So I guess what I'm basically saying here is: YaY Nintendo! Welcome back to the mainstream!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (03-18-2018)

+ Reply to Thread