Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The little pet names and cheesy word play annoys me sometimes. Things like "demonrats," "lame stream media," and things like that. Dehumanizing and dismissing millions of people and opinions is not what this country is about.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (03-25-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    The little pet names and cheesy word play annoys me sometimes. Things like "demonrats," "lame stream media," and things like that. Dehumanizing and dismissing millions of people and opinions is not what this country is about.
    You have to identify your adversary my name or label before you can denigrate them.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,486x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Like hicks?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Like hicks?
    ?

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ?
    Isn't it the same thing you complained about?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Isn't it the same thing you complained about?
    In the OP she was talking about some of the things that conservatives say about the democratic party that annoys her and so I was just mentioning a similar thing that I find to be kindof cheesy that is said about a couple of things. You're not trying to play some sort of "gotcha" thing are you?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In the OP she was talking about some of the things that conservatives say about the democratic party that annoys her and so I was just mentioning a similar thing that I find to be kindof cheesy that is said about a couple of things. You're not trying to play some sort of "gotcha" thing are you?
    No, just saying both are equally bad...or good.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you (my detractors) can say Democrat Party, I can say hick, particularly considering that I'm not calling anyone here a hick (as you may have noticed I explicitly stated in the OP). One of the things that annoyed me about the expression on the day I posted the little rant originally was that I had just seen Common use the expression "Democrat Party" in the very same post where he was complaining about how "liberals" in the abstract were disrespectful people.

I agree with those who say that small-time farming is not practical in today's America. Taking my mom's farm, which she had to sell during the last recession, for example, between the various family members who were working it, we, on average, worked something like 14 hours a day for the proportional equivalent of $4.11 an hour in 2010 money collectively (I worked this out in 2010), the federal minimum wage for much of the time having been $5.15 an hour and the state-level minimum wage having been generally higher than that. That's not $4.11 an hour for each individual. That's $4.11 an hour for all of us combined to live on. That's what we could make off of farming itself. If my mom's case was at all a representative sample of small family farms in America, then you could literally make more money working an entry-level position in fast food or retail, which is why mom had to do wage-labor on the side. It was a joke. There's no way we could've made a proper living off of it. You have to be rich to be able to make a living off of farming today because otherwise you can't afford to produce on the requisite scale. You really have to do factory farming.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 03-25-2018 at 05:59 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (03-25-2018)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,639x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that include "Donkepahant"? Because that is a one word description of the actual actions ( not rhetoric) of our supposed "two major parties"

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    If you (my detractors) can say Democrat Party, I can say hick, particularly considering that I'm not calling anyone here a hick (as you may have noticed I explicitly stated in the OP). One of the things that annoyed me about the expression on the day I posted the little rant originally was that I had just seen Common use the expression "Democrat Party" in the very same post where he was complaining about how "liberals" in the abstract were disrespectful people.

I agree with those who say that small-time farming is not practical in today's America. Taking my mom's farm, which she had to sell during the last recession, for example, between the various family members who were working it, we, on average, worked something like 14 hours a day for the proportional equivalent of $4.11 an hour in 2010 money collectively (I worked this out in 2010), the federal minimum wage for much of the time having been $5.15 an hour and the state-level minimum wage having been generally higher than that. That's not $4.11 an hour for each individual. That's $4.11 an hour for all of us combined to live on. That's what we could make off of farming itself. If my mom's case was at all a representative sample of small family farms in America, then you could literally make more money working an entry-level position in fast food or retail, which is why mom had to do wage-labor on the side. It was a joke. There's no way we could've made a proper living off of it. You have to be rich to be able to make a living off of farming today because otherwise you can't afford to produce on the requisite scale. You really have to do factory farming.

You still don't get the self-contradiction, caling people names for calling names?

And you don't have detractors, you have people who disagree with you.

+ Reply to Thread