Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US Empire Is Crumbling

The US is an empire. And every empire in history has undergone a period of expansion, stasis, decline and then implosion.

We are currently in the period of decline.

It's an empire we inherited from European powers throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Indeed, one could argue that Europe itself is a protectorate of the US empire.

The internal divisions and political strife, the insurmountable debt, the increasing centralization of power in government, the unchecked corruption and secrecy, the endless warfare, are all symptoms of the decline of empire.

Americans often feel like there are enemies and adversaries everywhere, which is why they mount no serious objections to profligate spending on the military. Yet what they perceive to be enemies and adversaries are really just countries trying to assert their independence from the US empire. Countries like Russia, Iran, and North Korea are no real threat to America. They have no intention of attacking our country or violating our trade and travel rights around the world.

Of course, virtually everyone who reads this will disagree with it in some way. But that's another symptom of imperial decline: Mass denial. The idea of the "exceptional" and "indispensable" nation (could anything be more overtly imperial?) is simply too ingrained in the minds of Americans to accept the fact that their prestige and greatness is waning. The British and the Romans were possessed of similar delusions near the ends of their great empires.

This isn't to say the US empire is going to implode anytime soon. More than likely, it will continue to limp along for at least a few more decades before the signs of its inevitable implosion really start to manifest themselves. However, what seems exceedingly clear (to me, at least) is that the empire has entered the unmistakable period of decline.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

donttread (03-22-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rise and fall of the Roman empire in terms of its territorial extent:

Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    The US is an empire. And every empire in history has undergone a period of expansion, stasis, decline and then implosion.

We are currently in the period of decline.

It's an empire we inherited from European powers throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Indeed, one could argue that Europe itself is a protectorate of the US empire.

The internal divisions and political strife, the insurmountable debt, the increasing centralization of power in government, the unchecked corruption and secrecy, the endless warfare, are all symptoms of the decline of empire.

Americans often feel like there are enemies and adversaries everywhere, which is why they mount no serious objections to profligate spending on the military. Yet what they perceive to be enemies and adversaries are really just countries trying to assert their independence from the US empire. Countries like Russia, Iran, and North Korea are no real threat to America. They have no intention of attacking our country or violating our trade and travel rights around the world.

Of course, virtually everyone who reads this will disagree with it in some way. But that's another symptom of imperial decline: Mass denial. The idea of the "exceptional" and "indispensable" nation (could anything be more overtly imperial?) is simply too ingrained in the minds of Americans to accept the fact that their prestige and greatness is waning. The British and the Romans were possessed of similar delusions near the ends of their great empires.

This isn't to say the US empire is going to implode anytime soon. More than likely, it will continue to limp along for at least a few more decades before the signs of its inevitable implosion really start to manifest themselves. However, what seems exceedingly clear (to me, at least) is that the empire has entered the unmistakable period of decline.
    In other words, only you have it right. Must be awfully lonely up on the top of Mt.Zion.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

texan (03-22-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will fall at this rate. The only way to save it is to identify the men behind the shadows and get them out of power.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlike the British and Romans the US hasn't occupied foreign lands and repressed other people. Have we temporarily occupied countries in the course of our wars? Sure. But our goals have never been to take over their lands for the building of an "empire". We prefer building an economic empire, which we have. You might say that fact has repressed or dominated foreigners if you wish.

I am bullish on the United States of America going forward.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    In other words, only you have it right. Must be awfully lonely up on the top of Mt.Zion.
    I'm not the only one who thinks this. But I am in the minority. Still, that does not mean I am wrong.
    --John Adams

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    It will fall at this rate. The only way to save it is to identify the men behind the shadows and get them out of power.
    I think that only addresses the symptoms. The system itself is what is flawed. You would remove one set of parasites only to have another replace them.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Unlike the British and Romans the US hasn't occupied foreign lands and repressed other people. Have we temporarily occupied countries in the course of our wars? Sure. But our goals have never been to take over their lands for the building of an "empire". We prefer building an economic empire, which we have. You might say that fact has repressed or dominated foreigners if you wish.
    It has repressed and dominated them. And this is why the US has so many enemies and adversaries. The only people who do not see this are Americans.

I am bullish on the United States of America going forward.
    With $21 trillion in debt, who wouldn't be?
    --John Adams

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not the only one who thinks this. But I am in the minority. Still, that does not mean I am wrong.
    I am going to give a big disagree here.

Big difference from the Roman Empire. We are not trying to take land and expand etc. Fortunately for us we are to big to fail. We also have the ability to correct or go through forced corrections. Progression makes people uncomfortable. It comes way to quick sometimes. We also hit peaks and valleys. This is not the first rodeo that predicted we are failing. Just look back in history to the depression and other times. They said the same thing when Yimmy Carter ran things.

We may go through a correction, but we are not going to "fail." There is no money to be made by the predictors if there isn't some kind of problem to report. Things are great doesn't sell papers unfortunately. We are not the Roman Empire.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has repressed and dominated them. And this is why the US has so many enemies and adversaries. The only people who do not see this are Americans.

What is your definition of "oppressed and dominated"?

The USA hasn't had real "enemies" since 1945.
    Last edited by jimmyz; 03-22-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Ransom (03-22-2018)

+ Reply to Thread