Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,267x in 20,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    No comment on the blatant hypocrisy. That has been covered.
    and this is not the first thread where the OP has been handed her rear end for her bigotry and intolerance
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    and this is not the first thread where the OP has been handed her rear end for her bigotry and intolerance
    As usual, my only intention here was to correct the more bizarre claims. The OP's shameless hypocrisy was all too apparent. The entire point of chaperones was to protect women. Now of course "feminists" ( I put it in quotes because what it means depends on who you're talking to) will say that's sexist and demeans women. It's as if if they can't be responsible for themselves. OK I get that but the same "feminists" tell us that an alarmingly large number of men either have no problem with sexual assault or have serious issues comprehending the concept of consent. If that's the case maybe our "sexist" forebears had the right idea.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (04-03-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The New York’s Human Rights Commission is investigating a claim that The Wing, a private club founded in 2016 as a work space and networking hub exclusively for women, violates the city’s anti-discrimination law by barring men.

Can we have NOTHING that is our own? It's not enough that men are demanding access to our restrooms, locker rooms, sports teams, etc. on the mere claim of being female.

The whole point of The Wing is to provide a space where women can work and network without having to worry about things like sexual harassment or discrimination. The Wing was created as a modern take on the women's clubs of the 19th and early 20th centuries that enabled women to organize for the right to vote and more. In those days, most public organizations and spaces excluded women and women were often forbidden to go out in public without a male chaperone. While formal exclusion of women from public places is less common today, most accommodations are still majority-male and almost all are run by men to this very day, and there exists a sense that said situation is no longer growing more equitable. To judge by the fact that The Wing has had a waiting list since before the first branch opened its doors two years ago and also by the fact that they are adding new branches outside of New York City, clearly there is high demand for such private, safe spaces for women. If men are allowed in, the entire purpose is defeated!

In the UK, they have such a concept as positive discrimination, which is legal, to protect institutions similar to this that are exclusionary of groups that, more largely, are socially dominant in order to move society closer to a place of equitable treatment overall. Clearly we need to recognize the validity of that concept here!

The University of Vermont -- the place where I attended college -- hosted a women-only debate tournament this weekend to give women a break from the sexism they often experience in mixed debates:

Organizers hope to keep the tournament an annual event. How long can it last before discrimination against men is disingenuously claimed?
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I come from a different generation of women who grew up in a world where many things were for men only and gradually we broke down that barrier socially and in business. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize that there are roles in life that are more suitable for one gender or another, but I don't believe in absolute exclusion. Disclaimer here - I'm also one of those females who is actually more comfortable in the company of men or at least mixed company than just women. That has been true for my entire life. I am not a really woman's woman when it comes to friends, although I do have female friends - mostly women like myself.

Physical sexual harassment is simply criminal. Sexual harassment of any kind by people who have control over your life or income is criminal. Verbal sexual harassment only has the power that you give it, although if it's in the workplace, like any other harassment, it should not be allowed. In a debate situation, if there is sexual harassment, I view it as an intellectual and logical weakness in the opposition - something to be exploited. In my entire life, I have never desired a safe space or a cocoon where people can't say things that I may find offensive. That's a slippery slope in my view. If as females, we demand such safe spaces, then we will need protectors of those safe spaces and we will be suggesting that we need to be protected because of our delicate sensibilities. That is regressive. We don't want to be Victorian women who get the vapors at strong language or "topics that are unsuitable for female company". Safe spaces mean protected spaces, which means that we are not equal, but weaker. If that is necessary then we are simply exchanging a male chaperone for a government chaperone.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread