Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,583x in 26,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Anyone Really Doubt...

...that the US political system is an oligarchy?

I know that in theory the US political system is a republic, but is that what it is in actual practice?

Do you actually feel like the average American is in control of the US political system?

Personally, I am shocked that anyone would deny this or try to downplay its severity. Upon examination of the available evidence, the oligarchic nature of the US political system becomes incredibly obvious. Just as one example out of many, consider the last budget bill passed by the Congress. Nobody even read the entire thing. Only one Senator (Rand Paul) even made a real effort to read it or inform Americans of what was in it, and he's considered a "radical" and "trouble-maker" as a result. And like virtually every other big bill that comes out of Congress, that bill was heavily crafted by corporate lobbyists. There are MANY, MANY, MANY examples of this kind of thing happening. In fact, that example is rather pedestrian in terms of its severity. Just consider the big lie that was the war in Iraq. It would have NEVER occurred to the average American to invade and occupy Iraq in response to 9/11. They had to be swindled into it by the political class and the corporate media. And as everyone knows, it was one of the worst disasters in history. But lots of people got insanely rich because of it. Stocks for big banks and military contractors have all done very well since 9/11. Oh, except that one time when big banks crashed the economy with greedy speculation. Bank stocks didn't do too well back then. But no worries, because the US government was ready to shovel mountains of taxpayer money at them. Clearly what the average American wanted to happen, right? If I think hard enough, I can remember the populist cries in the street, "Bail out the big banks with our money!" Ah, sweet American "democracy" triumphs again. Okay, I'm done...
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Archer0915 (04-09-2018),donttread (04-12-2018),Orion Rules (04-11-2018),The Xl (04-09-2018)

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ripmeister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,535x in 2,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

I know that in theory the US political system is a republic, but is that what it is in actual practice?

Do you actually feel like the average American is in control of the US political system?

Personally, I am shocked that anyone would deny this or try to downplay its severity. Upon examination of the available evidence, the oligarchic nature of the US political system becomes incredibly obvious. Just as one example out of many, consider the last budget bill passed by the Congress. Nobody even read the entire thing. Only one Senator (Rand Paul) even made a real effort to read it or inform Americans of what was in it, and he's considered a "radical" and "trouble-maker" as a result. And like virtually every other big bill that comes out of Congress, that bill was heavily crafted by corporate lobbyists. There are MANY, MANY, MANY examples of this kind of thing happening. In fact, that example is rather pedestrian in terms of its severity. Just consider the big lie that was the war in Iraq. It would have NEVER occurred to the average American to invade and occupy Iraq in response to 9/11. They had to be swindled into it by the political class and the corporate media. And as everyone knows, it was one of the worst disasters in history. But lots of people got insanely rich because of it. Stocks for big banks and military contractors have all done very well since 9/11. Oh, except that one time when big banks crashed the economy with greedy speculation. Bank stocks didn't do too well back then. But no worries, because the US government was ready to shovel mountains of taxpayer money at them. Clearly what the average American wanted to happen, right? If I think hard enough, I can remember the populist cries in the street, "Bail out the big banks with our money!" Ah, sweet American "democracy" triumphs again. Okay, I'm done...
    I'd agree with you on much of this although I think the bank bailout, while distasteful, was necessary with the US being the last lender of resort. The alternative potential meltdown of the entire economy was too big a risk to take. I think Eisenhower pretty much had it right.
    One can be sure that he who says he knows knows nothing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

texan (04-09-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,557x in 94,977 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripmeister View Post
    I'd agree with you on much of this although I think the bank bailout, while distasteful, was necessary with the US being the last lender of resort. The alternative potential meltdown of the entire economy was too big a risk to take. I think Eisenhower pretty much had it right.
    We could have bailed citizens out and let the banks fail.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,400x in 27,956 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We retain merely the outward shell of a Constitutional Republic. It is time to move on.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

I actually agree with most of that. Money and the people with it are far too influencial in our government.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    We could have bailed citizens out and let the banks fail.
    Not sure about the efficacy of that approach.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    I actually agree with most of that. Money and the people with it are far too influencial in our government.
    Show me the money. This is the problem IMO. Understanding the 1st amendment issues we need to have public financing of elections IMO.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ripmeister For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (04-09-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah....Ethereal will find a way to keep dumping on the US.

Soon he will have everybody believing they shouldn't even vote.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,145x in 909 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Americans like the overall path that it is on. And is reflected in it's voting. Things change when they need to and things don't change overnight.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    We retain merely the outward shell of a Constitutional Republic. It is time to move on.
    Should that move be to Dictatorship or Constitutional Monarchy?
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

+ Reply to Thread