Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you blow a unit out plugged in ? always unplug it we take them out back we have a long hose that reachs outside the door. Some of them will kill you with dust if you did them inside.

Popcorn ceilings that have not been painted over as yet leave white dust in computers thats enough to choke a horse. Many have black clouds of dust coming out of them.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,057
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
    If the case is plugged in you are grounded if your hand is on it. You did correct.
    @Common I did not mean to sound like an ass and believe me if it were anything else I would have blown out the PSU. Here I will have another PSU present, take the cover off of this one and blow it out. After that I will test it before hooking it back up. If all shows good then that is that but if not, I will be prepared. Again this is a special circumstance and you are correct about blowing them out except in special circumstances.

a number of years go, I worked on a friend's computer. He had a similar dust issue in a wood shop. I found some 1/2 thick foam for covering chair seats and cut a pattern to fit the back of his computer and his intake cooling ports. It worked for his computer's cooling system. The filter kept his computer clean. He takes it off every couple of days and shakes/vacuum it out.
    It has saved his computer. I think it might help you, or not. But I used some thinking and solved the issue of heavy dust inside his computer by placing homemade filters on all intakes for him. Just shake the filter out, or in your case, just replace them.
    just a thought @Archer0915 .............
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Archer0915's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,215x in 1,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    a number of years go, I worked on a friend's computer. He had a similar dust issue in a wood shop. I found some 1/2 thick foam for covering chair seats and cut a pattern to fit the back of his computer and his intake cooling ports. It worked for his computer's cooling system. The filter kept his computer clean. He takes it off every couple of days and shakes/vacuum it out.
    It has saved his computer. I think it might help you, or not. But I used some thinking and solved the issue of heavy dust inside his computer by placing homemade filters on all intakes for him. Just shake the filter out, or in your case, just replace them.
    just a thought @Archer0915 .............
    It had been over 10 years since I built and installed this control PC and this is the first time it had been opened since. but there is filtering in the cabinet. Because if the location I built the PC with a low power CPU and will not run hot in this environment. But I did put filtering on the cabinet.

20180409_112525.jpg

The system is now clean, all but the PSU:

20180409_110042.jpg

I built the system with a RAID 1 and a low power/heat (AMD 5050e 45w) CPU, It has done well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Archer0915 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (04-10-2018)

+ Reply to Thread