User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide of the West

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,494x in 55,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Suicide of the West

Jonah Goldberg promotes his latest book, Suicide of the West: : How the Rebirth of Tribalism, Populism, Nationalism, and Identity Politics Is Destroying American Democracy, in a long, provocative essay.

He opens with "Capitalism is unnatural. Democracy is unnatural. Human rights are unnatural. God didn’t give us these things, or anything else. We stumbled into modernity accidentally, not by any divine plan." It was, as others have called it, a Miracle. And it's killing itself.

Children as barbarians made me laugh, so I'll post that and criticism of capitalism.

...People learn virtue first and most importantly from family, and then from the myriad institutions family introduces them to: churches, schools, associations, etc. Every generation, Western civilization is invaded by barbarians, Hannah Arendt observed: “We call them children.” Civil society, starting with the family, civilizes barbarians, providing meaning, belonging, and virtue.

But here’s the hitch. When that ecosystem breaks down, people still seek meaning and belonging. And it is breaking down. Its corruption comes from reasons too numerous and complex to detail here, but they include family breakdown, mass immigration, the war on assimilation, and the rise of virtual communities pretending to replace real ones.

First, the market, as Joseph Schumpeter argued, maximizes efficiency with relentless rationality, tending to break down the sinews of tradition and the foundations of civil society that enable and instill virtue. Yet those pre-rational virtues make capitalism possible in the first place.

Second, capitalism also creates a mass class of resentful intellectuals, artists, journalists, and bureaucrats who are professionally, psychologically, and ideologically committed to undermining capitalism’s legitimacy (as noted by Schumpeter and James Burnham, the author of another book titled “Suicide of the West”). This adversarial elite is its own coalition.

Thus, people increasingly look to Washington and national politics for meaning and belonging they can’t find at home. As Mary Eberstadt recently argued, the rise in identity politics coincided with family breakdown, as alienated youth looked to the artificial tribes of racial or sexual solidarity for meaning. Populism, which always wants the national government to solve local problems, is in vogue on left and right precisely because local institutions and civil society generally no longer do their jobs. Indeed, populism is its own tribalism, because “We the People” invariably means “my people.” As Jan-Werner Müller notes in his book What Is Populism?: “Populism is always a form of identity politics.”...
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

roadmaster (04-14-2018)

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,314x in 4,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nationalism is good for a country. It's the Presidents job to look after our own country, security, borders and jobs. The country they are the President of should always come first and it's citizens.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,573x in 36,512 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what to make of this. I subscribed to National review for for 5 or 6 years but ultimately let my subscription expire because they got it so wrong on immigration. I may be wrong but I remember Goldberg being one of their Jewish writers who consistently poo pooed the concerns many Americans have had regarding what I can only describe as a brown tidal wave descending on our country.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (04-14-2018)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 3,704
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,310x in 8,305 Posts
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PLEASE Chris - Jonah Goldberg is a certifiable Loon & conspiracy theorist

Three months ago on the Twit:

Every conspiracy theory about the government rests on the assumption that the government is infinitely evil and infinitely competent. It's much closer to the opposite, at least on the latter point.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post

Every conspiracy theory about the government rests on the assumption that the government is infinitely evil and infinitely competent. It's much closer to the opposite, at least on the latter point.
    He's mocking conspiracy theorists, Bo. You don't even need any context to gather that. I have to wonder if you ever stop and actually think about what you're being told by progressive editorials.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Not sure what to make of this. I subscribed to National review for for 5 or 6 years but ultimately let my subscription expire because they got it so wrong on immigration. I may be wrong but I remember Goldberg being one of their Jewish writers who consistently poo pooed the concerns many Americans have had regarding what I can only describe as a brown tidal wave descending on our country.
    Don't recall his stance on immigration. He wrote Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning. Probably why Bo doesn't like him.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post

You didn't bother to read a word of what he wrote, saw the name, and attacked. Dismissed.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't recall his stance on immigration. He wrote Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning. Probably why Bo doesn't like him.
    @Peter1469 and I read that at about the same time.

I could be wrong. I haven't read that magazine in ages but I remember Goldberg being part of the neocon crowd that drove the paleos out and castigated Pat Buchanan. Ia also remember Goldberg defending NR's termination of John Derbyshire who was the only reason I stuck around toward the end.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Most likely.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    @Peter1469 and I read that at about the same time.

I could be wrong. I haven't read that magazine in ages but I remember Goldberg being part of the neocon crowd that drove the paleos out and castigated Pat Buchanan. Ia also remember Goldberg defending NR's termination of John Derbyshire who was the only reason I stuck around toward the end.
    Derbyshire was good.

+ Reply to Thread