User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: A Few Photos of my Gelding

  1. #11
    Points: 114,039, Level: 82
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 2,611
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    859209
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    46,940
    Points
    114,039
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    1,471
    Thanked 1,465x in 1,016 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    To clarify, Palomino's and Pinto's are strictly color breeds. So, any primary breed, e.g. Quarter Horse, Arabians, Tennessee Walkers, Paso Fino's etc., can also be a color breed. OTOH, Paints are stock horses with color.
    All the of Palomino's I've ever seen have a certain body type i.e. not the racehorse build, but a shorter more muscular horse. I can't say that crossbreeding won't create tall skinny Palominos, but as far as I have observed they are mostly very beautiful saddle horses and cow ponies of a medium size, valued for their looks, stamina and dexterity. Crossing with an Arabian would give them extra height and make them better for jumping. The original Spanish Palomino (the Golden Dorado) is considered by the Spanish to be an exact breed, even though golden horses with white manes have been ubiquitous in history, hence there being a dispute as to whether it's a color breed or a primary breed.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  2. #12
    Points: 7,496, Level: 20
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8157
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,371
    Points
    7,496
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    4,822
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    All the of Palomino's I've ever seen have a certain body type i.e. not the racehorse build, but a shorter more muscular horse. I can't say that crossbreeding won't create tall skinny Palominos, but as far as I have observed they are mostly very beautiful saddle horses and cow ponies of a medium size, valued for their looks, stamina and dexterity. Crossing with an Arabian would give them extra height and make them better for jumping. The original Spanish Palomino (the Golden Dorado) is considered by the Spanish to be an exact breed, even though golden horses with white manes have been ubiquitous in history, hence there being a dispute as to whether it's a color breed or a primary breed.
    I disagree. Palomino is strictly a color breed.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”



    Jim Hays


  3. #13

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 22,422, Level: 36
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    gamewell45's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    8537
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    6,300
    Points
    22,422
    Level
    36
    Thanks Given
    2,712
    Thanked 2,800x in 2,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    I disagree. Palomino is strictly a color breed.
    What do you know about Morgans? There is a 970 acre horse farm about a mile from me where they breed Morgans. All I know is that they cost a fortune to buy.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full.

    Political parties are all a part of the same hypocrisy.
    Independent and proud of it!

    If you allow people to use you as a piece of carpet, they will. -- Eugene V. Debs

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

    KathyS (04-16-2018)

  5. #14
    Points: 114,039, Level: 82
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 2,611
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    859209
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    46,940
    Points
    114,039
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    1,471
    Thanked 1,465x in 1,016 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    What do you know about Morgans? There is a 970 acre horse farm about a mile from me where they breed Morgans. All I know is that they cost a fortune to buy.
    They were really popular with police departments, at least at one time. Very large horses and muscular. Impressive necks.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    gamewell45 (04-16-2018)

  7. #15
    Points: 114,039, Level: 82
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 2,611
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    859209
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    46,940
    Points
    114,039
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    1,471
    Thanked 1,465x in 1,016 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    I disagree. Palomino is strictly a color breed.
    Not to Spanish breeders and they gave the horse its name. While the name was adopted to describe the color, it doesn't mean that the horse is genetically related to the original breed. Almost any breed of horse can produce a golden coat and a white mane if you cross a chestnut with a cream. The original Palomino - "the Dorado was of Arabic-Moorish-Spanish blood and breeding, closely akin to the Arabian and the Moorish Barb. The Palomino of Spanish times was not bred by being crossed with sorrels. The Spanish had many shades of golden horses, and when they did use “Corral Breeding” a light color Palomino mare would be mated with a very dark-colored Palomino stallion. This point has been noted in an old book and printed in Barcelona in 1774″.

    The original Palominos brought over by the Conquistadors would have been of those bloodlines. Some breeders today are working only with horses with the original bloodlines.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #16
    Points: 7,496, Level: 20
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8157
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,371
    Points
    7,496
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    4,822
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    They were really popular with police departments, at least at one time. Very large horses and muscular. Impressive necks.
    Dr. Who, again I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Morgans are typically small and muscular horses, developed here in the U.S. Here's a movie that illustrates the foundation of the breed.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068789/

    FWIW, I have managed local shows for Arabians and Morgans. In fact, a dear friend of mine breeds and shows Morgans here in Central Texas.

    Her late stallion, Contender, was a Reserve National Stallion driving horse. Additionally, a friend of mine in Washington state trains and shows Morgans: Timber Creek Stables.
    Last edited by KathyS; 04-16-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”



    Jim Hays


  9. #17
    Points: 7,496, Level: 20
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8157
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,371
    Points
    7,496
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    4,822
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Not to Spanish breeders and they gave the horse its name. While the name was adopted to describe the color, it doesn't mean that the horse is genetically related to the original breed. Almost any breed of horse can produce a golden coat and a white mane if you cross a chestnut with a cream. The original Palomino - "the Dorado was of Arabic-Moorish-Spanish blood and breeding, closely akin to the Arabian and the Moorish Barb. The Palomino of Spanish times was not bred by being crossed with sorrels. The Spanish had many shades of golden horses, and when they did use “Corral Breeding” a light color Palomino mare would be mated with a very dark-colored Palomino stallion. This point has been noted in an old book and printed in Barcelona in 1774″.

    The original Palominos brought over by the Conquistadors would have been of those bloodlines. Some breeders today are working only with horses with the original bloodlines.
    Again, in the U.S. the Palomino is strictly a color breed.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”



    Jim Hays


  10. #18
    Points: 7,496, Level: 20
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8157
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,371
    Points
    7,496
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    4,822
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    What do you know about Morgans? There is a 970 acre horse farm about a mile from me where they breed Morgans. All I know is that they cost a fortune to buy.
    I guess it just depends are where you are.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”



    Jim Hays


  11. #19
    Points: 114,039, Level: 82
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 2,611
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    859209
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    46,940
    Points
    114,039
    Level
    82
    Thanks Given
    1,471
    Thanked 1,465x in 1,016 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    Dr. Who, again I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Morgans are typically small and muscular horses, developed here in the U.S. Here's a movie that illustrates the foundation of the breed.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068789/

    FWIW, I have managed local shows for Arabians and Morgans. In fact, a dear friend of mine breeds and shows Morgans here in Central Texas.

    Her late stallion, Contender, was a Reserve National Stallion driving horse. Additionally, a friend of mine in Washington state trains and shows Morgans: Timber Creek Stables.
    Perhaps the ones I saw were cross breeds or they chose the largest ones for police work. I'm used to seeing them look like this - and this horse is 16 hands:

    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    KathyS (04-16-2018)

  13. #20
    Points: 7,496, Level: 20
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8157
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,371
    Points
    7,496
    Level
    20
    Thanks Given
    4,822
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Perhaps the ones I saw were cross breeds or they chose the largest ones for police work. I'm used to seeing them look like this - and this horse is 16 hands:
    Police horses are usually Draft crosses, so the horse pictured could be a Morgan/Draft cross.

    People are adding height to breeds like the Arabian and Morgan simply because humans are larger now than in the past. For instance, average height for both breeds is around 14.2hh or so. But in recent years, I have seen 16 hh Arabs and at least one 15.2hh Morgan.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”



    Jim Hays


+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO