Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    To clarify, Palomino's and Pinto's are strictly color breeds. So, any primary breed, e.g. Quarter Horse, Arabians, Tennessee Walkers, Paso Fino's etc., can also be a color breed. OTOH, Paints are stock horses with color.
    All the of Palomino's I've ever seen have a certain body type i.e. not the racehorse build, but a shorter more muscular horse. I can't say that crossbreeding won't create tall skinny Palominos, but as far as I have observed they are mostly very beautiful saddle horses and cow ponies of a medium size, valued for their looks, stamina and dexterity. Crossing with an Arabian would give them extra height and make them better for jumping. The original Spanish Palomino (the Golden Dorado) is considered by the Spanish to be an exact breed, even though golden horses with white manes have been ubiquitous in history, hence there being a dispute as to whether it's a color breed or a primary breed.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    All the of Palomino's I've ever seen have a certain body type i.e. not the racehorse build, but a shorter more muscular horse. I can't say that crossbreeding won't create tall skinny Palominos, but as far as I have observed they are mostly very beautiful saddle horses and cow ponies of a medium size, valued for their looks, stamina and dexterity. Crossing with an Arabian would give them extra height and make them better for jumping. The original Spanish Palomino (the Golden Dorado) is considered by the Spanish to be an exact breed, even though golden horses with white manes have been ubiquitous in history, hence there being a dispute as to whether it's a color breed or a primary breed.
    I disagree. Palomino is strictly a color breed.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you know about Morgans? There is a 970 acre horse farm about a mile from me where they breed Morgans. All I know is that they cost a fortune to buy.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

KathyS (04-16-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,868
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    What do you know about Morgans? There is a 970 acre horse farm about a mile from me where they breed Morgans. All I know is that they cost a fortune to buy.
    They were really popular with police departments, at least at one time. Very large horses and muscular. Impressive necks.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (04-15-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to Spanish breeders and they gave the horse its name. While the name was adopted to describe the color, it doesn't mean that the horse is genetically related to the original breed. Almost any breed of horse can produce a golden coat and a white mane if you cross a chestnut with a cream. The original Palomino - "the Dorado was of Arabic-Moorish-Spanish blood and breeding, closely akin to the Arabian and the Moorish Barb. The Palomino of Spanish times was not bred by being crossed with sorrels. The Spanish had many shades of golden horses, and when they did use “Corral Breeding” a light color Palomino mare would be mated with a very dark-colored Palomino stallion. This point has been noted in an old book and printed in Barcelona in 1774″.

The original Palominos brought over by the Conquistadors would have been of those bloodlines. Some breeders today are working only with horses with the original bloodlines.

Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were really popular with police departments, at least at one time. Very large horses and muscular. Impressive necks.
    Dr. Who, again I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Morgans are typically small and muscular horses, developed here in the U.S. Here's a movie that illustrates the foundation of the breed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068789/

FWIW, I have managed local shows for Arabians and Morgans. In fact, a dear friend of mine breeds and shows Morgans here in Central Texas.

Her late stallion, Contender, was a Reserve National Stallion driving horse. Additionally, a friend of mine in Washington state trains and shows Morgans: Timber Creek Stables.
    Last edited by KathyS; 04-16-2018 at 12:36 AM.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to Spanish breeders and they gave the horse its name. While the name was adopted to describe the color, it doesn't mean that the horse is genetically related to the original breed. Almost any breed of horse can produce a golden coat and a white mane if you cross a chestnut with a cream. The original Palomino - "the Dorado was of Arabic-Moorish-Spanish blood and breeding, closely akin to the Arabian and the Moorish Barb. The Palomino of Spanish times was not bred by being crossed with sorrels. The Spanish had many shades of golden horses, and when they did use “Corral Breeding” a light color Palomino mare would be mated with a very dark-colored Palomino stallion. This point has been noted in an old book and printed in Barcelona in 1774″.

The original Palominos brought over by the Conquistadors would have been of those bloodlines. Some breeders today are working only with horses with the original bloodlines.
    Again, in the U.S. the Palomino is strictly a color breed.

Jim Hays

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    I guess it just depends are where you are.

Jim Hays

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Who, again I respectfully disagree with the bolded. Morgans are typically small and muscular horses, developed here in the U.S. Here's a movie that illustrates the foundation of the breed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068789/

FWIW, I have managed local shows for Arabians and Morgans. In fact, a dear friend of mine breeds and shows Morgans here in Central Texas.

Her late stallion, Contender, was a Reserve National Stallion driving horse. Additionally, a friend of mine in Washington state trains and shows Morgans: Timber Creek Stables.
    Perhaps the ones I saw were cross breeds or they chose the largest ones for police work. I'm used to seeing them look like this - and this horse is 16 hands:

Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

KathyS (04-16-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the ones I saw were cross breeds or they chose the largest ones for police work. I'm used to seeing them look like this - and this horse is 16 hands:
    Police horses are usually Draft crosses, so the horse pictured could be a Morgan/Draft cross.

People are adding height to breeds like the Arabian and Morgan simply because humans are larger now than in the past. For instance, average height for both breeds is around 14.2hh or so. But in recent years, I have seen 16 hh Arabs and at least one 15.2hh Morgan.

Jim Hays

+ Reply to Thread