Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parents, teachers want Devos to end Obama era discipline rule

Parents, teachers sick of school chaos look to Betsy DeVos to erase Obama discipline rule

Another Obama failure finally comes out

What the Obama-era discipline guidance has taught Nicole Landers is that your kids can be bullied, roughed up, even sexually assaulted, and the school won’t do a whole heck of a lot about it.

The Maryland mother said two of her sons have been picked on and threatened, while her 11-year-old daughter was repeatedly groped over the course of several months by a classmate. Even so, Ms. Landers said the boy was never suspended.

“Eventually I went in and met with the principal, and she told me that the other student has rights,” said Ms. Landers.
    “I told her she was conditioning my daughter to [accept] sexual aggression. I don’t understand how you can look at my daughter and tell me that she should tolerate her body parts being touched by this other student. No one should be asked to be put in that learning environment.”

She and her daughter, a Baltimore County Public Schools student, plan to share their experience at

Wednesday’s school safety commission roundtable in Washington with Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who’s considering rescinding the Obama administration’s 2014 Dear Colleague letter urging schools to lighten up on discipline.

The Office for Civil Rights directive has come under attack following the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Florida, for helping create what critics describe as a permissive climate that allowed the shooter to remain in school despite multiple infractions.

While the guidance has been credited with lowering suspensions, expulsions and arrests at a number of K-12 districts, it’s also been blamed for schools that are more chaotic and dangerous as officials seek to curb discipline rates in order to avoid triggering a federal investigation.

Ann Miller, a member of the Baltimore County board of education, said Ms. Landers isn’t the only one concerned.

“She’s not an outlier at all. I’ve heard many, many cases. I have teachers and parents calling me on the phone regularly, crying,” said Ms. Miller. “I would say every couple of weeks there’s a student video of violent attacks in BCPS that’s posted on social media, or a news report. We see this regularly.”

DeVos, in her role as chair of the Trump administration’s newly formed Commission on School Safety, will also hear Wednesday from teachers and education advocates who argue that the federal guidance is needed to prevent minority and disabled students from winding up in the “school-to-prison pipeline.”

Evan Stone, co-CEO and co-founder of Educators for Excellence, said black students are suspended at three times the rates of white students, while those with disabilities, a category that includes conditions like ADHD, are twice as likely to be suspended or expelled.

The department “must continue to highlight the disparities that exist in school discipline, investigate districts where those disparities may be caused by bias, and support the implementation of strategies to reduce punitive discipline,” he said in a statement.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...colleague-let/
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Grokmaster (04-16-2018),MMC (04-16-2018)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,150x in 2,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "the Obama administration’s 2014 Dear Colleague letter urging schools to lighten up on discipline." So why does anyone wonder why kids have less respect for law and order?
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannons Front For This Useful Post:

Grokmaster (04-16-2018),MMC (04-16-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.....get Rid of the BO the Peep discipline rule of.....Lighten up Francis. One less bell to answer. Plus it removes another part of his legacy.

Which btw.....he doesn't have much left.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More of the Obamidiocy, but just another part of the Criminals Over Victims plank in the DNC platform.

They're just starting it earlier, thanks to Pres. " Trayvon Could Be My Son."

“Eventually I went in and met with the principal, and she told me that the other student has rights,” said Ms. Landers.
    “I told her she was conditioning my daughter to [accept] sexual aggression. I don’t understand how you can look at my daughter and tell me that she should tolerate her body parts being touched by this other student. No one should be asked to be put in that learning environment.”

Yeah, he has the right to abuse her child.
    The girls father and some friends with kids who are minors also, should go visit the little jackass's home, and simultaneously "condition" the jackass kid, and the creep who raised him to " understand Real World consequences, outside of the legal system"...while promising further, and escalating "conditioning sessions" if the little jackass doesn't get the hint.
    De Oppresso Liber

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Useful Post:

MMC (04-16-2018)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    "the Obama administration’s 2014 Dear Colleague letter urging schools to lighten up on discipline." So why does anyone wonder why kids have less respect for law and order?

Progressive discipline doesn't actually progress with more infractions.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Progressive discipline doesn't actually progress with more infractions.
    Stomping the $#@! out of bullies made every bully I ever stomped the $#@! out of, stop bullying, without fail, 100% of them, 100% of the times I practiced it.

The "let's talk about it" philosophy is a JOKE to the violent predatory students, who figured out how to game liberal "feelgood" bull$#@! decades ago, and happily they continue along their predatory way, after using the "buzz words" the "school counselor" needed to hear.

It ain't rocket science, and "hugs and kumbaya" have NEVER corrected any violent thug...EVER....even some of the Apostles carried swords...
    Last edited by Grokmaster; 04-17-2018 at 12:39 AM.
    De Oppresso Liber

+ Reply to Thread