User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Two black men arrested for not leaving a Starbucks.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,309
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,046x in 8,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    You keep saying the Police were wrong, what they did was ask the two men to leave and the refused and arrrested them.
    What would have made them right in your eyes ?
    Just curious, but are the police allowed to arrest someone who refuses to leave, if the reason for asking them to leave violates the CRA? For instance, we know that there are white skinhead bars. If someone who is a member of a group that is the focus of skinhead bigotry is refused service and asked to leave and doesn't, so police are called, should the police make the arrest? If they do, wouldn't the police also be violating public accommodation laws?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,248x in 12,374 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Just curious, but are the police allowed to arrest someone who refuses to leave, if the reason for asking them to leave violates the CRA? For instance, we know that there are white skinhead bars. If someone who is a member of a group that is the focus of skinhead bigotry is refused service and asked to leave and doesn't, so police are called, should the police make the arrest? If they do, wouldn't the police also be violating public accommodation laws?
    As someone noted earlier in this thread, the time and place for establishing whether any public accommodation statutes were being violated by the employees of the establishment would be later in a proceeding initiated by the two men in question. All due respect to the police, but establishing such violations is neither their place nor their area of expertise, and I'm sure that most officers would agree. Keeping the peace and maintaining public order, in this instance, consisted of removing those men from the establishment, an employee of which had verbally communicated to them that they were required to leave. Once that communication was made, the law required that the men leave; what they might later do to correct the injustice of being singled out for unequal treatment is a different story. Removing the men, by whatever means necessary, was the officers' only legal course of action.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    As someone noted earlier in this thread, the time and place for establishing whether any public accommodation statutes were being violated by the employees of the establishment would be later in a proceeding initiated by the two men in question. All due respect to the police, but establishing such violations is neither their place nor their area of expertise, and I'm sure that most officers would agree. Keeping the peace and maintaining public order, in this instance, consisted of removing those men from the establishment, an employee of which had verbally communicated to them that they were required to leave. Once that communication was made, the law required that the men leave; what they might later do to correct the injustice of being singled out for unequal treatment is a different story. Removing the men, by whatever means necessary, was the officers' only legal course of action.
    Police are not required to establish that a law is being broken before they act? Doesn't that set the police up for civil actions for false arrest and assisting the violation of federal law? What would happen if I broke into your house and then called the police and said you were trespassing on my property and threatening me with violence. They come and ask you to leave - you tell the police that it is your house, but they don't listen and arrest you. They cart you off and I proceed to rob you at my leisure.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Police are not required to establish that a law is being broken before they act? Doesn't that set the police up for civil actions for false arrest and assisting the violation of federal law? What would happen if I broke into your house and then called the police and said you were trespassing on my property and threatening me with violence. They come and ask you to leave - you tell the police that it is your house, but they don't listen and arrest you. They cart you off and I proceed to rob you at my leisure.
    That’s kinda what happened with the professor that was arrested for trying to get into his house, during the obama administration. However, in that case, the professor was already inside and the cop asked him to step outside and he did. Future references should dictate that once you’re inside, close the door and go about your life.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (04-19-2018)

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 1,213
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,082x in 10,768 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    That’s kinda what happened with the professor that was arrested for trying to get into his house, during the obama administration. However, in that case, the professor was already inside and the cop asked him to step outside and he did. Future references should dictate that once you’re inside, close the door and go about your life.
    No, that's not what kinda happened, Safety. The President spoke too soon....as he often did. The Professor as it turns, acted irrationally. You'll remember Obama's solution, to have the beer summit. You can look this up Safety, you were probably like 13 when this happened. Just a young Victim who perhaps isn't aware of the incident. Now...at the time, Obama was supposed to be out campaigning for his Obamacare plan that was supposed to solve the nation's health problems. And we learned much more about the beer summit in the coming presser than we did the actual Obamacare plan. You'll remember the bizarre scene where he told us all Michelle was waiting and he was turning the Q&A over to Bill Clinton who was one of his czars or handymen at the time. So apparent Obama didn't have command of the issues, a bumbling stumbling fool on his way to having his legacy ruined and heir apparent humiliated.

What this is, Safety....is yet another opportunity for many in here to make statements before the facts are in. It's a made for media story right now, it's got the racism and the bigotry theme.......the black police chief saying these men in fact weren't cooperative with police. That police followed regulations. Now.....I'll wait for the story to come out. I realize you got to get out in front of this....act like a victim.....cause that's what you do. But advice to those who have already been proven the fool.....that would be you......I'd withhold any opinion on matters until you know what you're spewing on about. Tuck the hanky away, and do your homework. Have a nice day.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Common Sense probably doesn't remember the beer summit either. Do your homework, Common Sense.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might you be out ahead of your skis Who?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Common Sense probably doesn't remember the beer summit either. Do your homework, Common Sense.
    Sorry, what? Why are you addressing me?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Sorry, what? Why are you addressing me?
    Metamucil deficiency.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Might you be out ahead of your skis Who?
    There have been a number of miscarriages of the law/justice that have occurred when the police simply act on reports without doing any due diligence to determine whether the caller is nut, a bigot, out for revenge or simply mistaken. People who are actually doing something wrong either try to get away before the police arrive or know when they have no other options when the police arrive. People who are innocent are more liable to feel that their rights are being violated and resist or be unaware that there is any problem until they are being confronted by police and react with shock, which may not appear calm and compliant.

I don't think that the police should simply be drones that simply act on calls like the caller is always the righteous party. A few minutes of conversation could save months of litigation.

Mahatma Gandhi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (04-19-2018)

+ Reply to Thread