User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 186

Thread: Two black men arrested for not leaving a Starbucks.

  1. #11
    Points: 139,902, Level: 90
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 3,148
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    251613
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    61,659
    Points
    139,902
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    7,142
    Thanked 20,576x in 15,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    So much for " To Protect and SERVE."


    Some LEO's just do not get it, and they make the job so much more difficult for the majority that do.

    I graduated from a law enforcement academy and we were trained to use our interpersonal communication skills to ease or resolve problems when at all possible. This was further enforced by my department leadership for the first ten or twelve years of my law enforcement career. I resigned when the focus was placed on making as many arrests as possible. I refused to cooperate with that mind-set. Instead of fighting a losing battle, I resigned. Haven't regretted it for a minute.


    It doesn't take any special skill to show up, slap cuffs on someone and take them to jail.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

    Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

  3. #12
    Points: 139,902, Level: 90
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 3,148
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    251613
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    61,659
    Points
    139,902
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    7,142
    Thanked 20,576x in 15,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Everyone agrees the police officers were doing their job.

    It's the Starbucks management that erred.
    The police officers were at least as big of a failure.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (04-16-2018),Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

  5. #13
    Points: 43,163, Level: 50
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5418
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,242
    Points
    43,163
    Level
    50
    Thanks Given
    11,215
    Thanked 5,249x in 3,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I graduated from a law enforcement academy and we were trained to use our interpersonal communication skills to ease or resolve problems when at all possible. This was further enforced by my department leadership for the first ten or twelve years of my law enforcement career. I resigned when the focus was placed on making as many arrests as possible. I refused to cooperate with that mind-set. Instead of fighting a losing battle, I resigned. Haven't regretted it for a minute.


    It doesn't take any special skill to show up, slap cuffs on someone and take them to jail.
    Exactly. "Arrest quotas" are absolutely antithetical to the term "Peace Officer".


    I don't blame you one bit...it's like they wanted you to make war on the American public. Jackasses.
    De Oppresso Liber



  6. #14
    Points: 139,902, Level: 90
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 3,148
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    251613
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    61,659
    Points
    139,902
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    7,142
    Thanked 20,576x in 15,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    Exactly. "Arrest quotas" are absolutely antithetical to the term "Peace Officer".


    I don't blame you one bit...it's like they wanted you to make war on the American public. Jackasses.

    I don't know why the Sheriff started supporting that policy, but about six months after Inresigned the Chief called me a few times and tried to convince me into coming back in a training role and emphasize diffusing situations through employing communication skills. After about six seconds of consideration, I politely declined.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

    Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

  8. #15
    Points: 43,163, Level: 50
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5418
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,242
    Points
    43,163
    Level
    50
    Thanks Given
    11,215
    Thanked 5,249x in 3,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Everyone agrees the police officers were doing their job.

    It's the Starbucks management that erred.
    Obviously, "everyone" does not agree with that. The Starbucks manager is NOT the PD's commander. The officers exercised horrific judgement, and JUDGEMENT is the primary differential between good and bad law enforcement.
    De Oppresso Liber



  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Useful Post:

    Tahuyaman (04-16-2018)

  10. #16
    Points: 139,902, Level: 90
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 3,148
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    251613
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    61,659
    Points
    139,902
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    7,142
    Thanked 20,576x in 15,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    Obviously, "everyone" does not agree with that. The Starbucks manager is NOT the PD's commander. The officers exercised horrific judgement, and JUDGEMENT is the primary differential between good and bad law enforcement.
    Generally whatever he says, the opposite is true.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

    Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

  12. #17
    Points: 88,397, Level: 72
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    77136
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    29,484
    Points
    88,397
    Level
    72
    Thanks Given
    3,850
    Thanked 9,101x in 6,839 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    There's a lot to criticize here.

    Two men are in a Starbucks. When they are asked if they wish to place an order, they say that they will when their two friends show up. They aren't being disruptive or runde. The manager of the Starbucks asks them to leave. They refuse. Again they say that they will order something when their two friends arrive. The manager calls the police.

    The police show up and haul the two guys out in handcuffs and take hold them at the police station for more than eight hours.


    The manager of that particular Starbucks was wrong. Calling the police was completely avoidable. It's not at all uncommon for people to get a table and wait until the rest of their party shows up before they order.


    The friends these two were waiting for did show up.


    Arresting these guys, hauling them out in handcuffs and holding them for eight or nine hours is indefensible. The officers did not use proper judgement in this case. They failed to determine what the problem was and resolve the issue.


    If the two men were being disruptive there would be a case for making an arrest. I think these two guys will end up being quite wealthy over this incident.


    I know that if I was in a Starbucks with one of my buddies and did exactly the same thing, we would not have been arrested and taken into custody.
    Sound like a screw up all the way around.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

  14. #18
    Points: 31,046, Level: 42
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5751
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,226
    Points
    31,046
    Level
    42
    Thanks Given
    1,419
    Thanked 1,893x in 1,513 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happens more than people know. People walk into a restaurant or store use the restroom for drugs or homeless. So the place puts up a rule, if you don't buy anything you can't use the restrooms. Many people will say they are waiting on someone and some walk out after. The question is have they ever been there before and not bought something. Are we missing parts of the story? Or were these men falsely accused because of others actions. It doesn't matter what type of skin these men had, the store set a rule and set themselves up if someone told the truth that they were waiting for others. The police got a trespassing call and they acted. The manager asked them to leave and they refused that is what they knew.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to roadmaster For This Useful Post:

    Grokmaster (04-16-2018)

  16. #19
    Points: 31,046, Level: 42
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    5751
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,226
    Points
    31,046
    Level
    42
    Thanks Given
    1,419
    Thanked 1,893x in 1,513 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean come on the media wanted a story. If you watch Broward Bond court hundreds get arrested every week for trespassing of all skin colors. The majority of times it's a business.

  17. #20
    Points: 16,909, Level: 31
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Dr. Strangelove's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    17932
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    N. California, Sierra foothills
    Posts
    6,410
    Points
    16,909
    Level
    31
    Thanks Given
    2,185
    Thanked 1,693x in 1,380 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    This happens more than people know. People walk into a restaurant or store use the restroom for drugs or homeless. So the place puts up a rule, if you don't buy anything you can't use the restrooms. Many people will say they are waiting on someone and some walk out after. The question is have they ever been there before and not bought something. Are we missing parts of the story? Or were these men falsely accused because of others actions. It doesn't matter what type of skin these men had, the store set a rule and set themselves up if someone told the truth that they were waiting for others. The police got a trespassing call and they acted. The manager asked them to leave and they refused that is what they knew.
    I recently asked to use the bathroom in a thrift store;they refused me, saying the bathroom is for employees only!Mind you, I'm 72 and am not a needle Nazi skinhead. If they think so little of their customers, next time, I will drop my drawers and take a dump on their floor! Fk em!
    "When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag, and waving a cross"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO