Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,552x in 94,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    I knew my husband didn't have long. I have worked with people for many years and know all the signs. I had been taking care of him by myself for around 2 months after his mini stroke before this when he could no longer walk on his own. I wouldn't have called them if I wasn't sure. It was getting too hard for me to change him in a regular bed. But I had promised him I wouldn't send him to a hospital, he would die here in his own house with family around.
    That is a good thing.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering whether there are different statutes, regulations and policies for different States. I did a quick search and it looks as though States do have authority to determine minimum statutes.

Without doing too much research I found a number of websites that speak to what the physician's role and authority are and what to expect from that State's hospice policies.

For the purpose of showing an example of the information I found I'm attaching the below link.
    https://www.health.ny.gov/profession...nd_answers.htm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (04-21-2018)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to say I am sorry to bring up such a painful subject. I just wanted to say out loud what happened and get the word out incase it can save someone's life. I do understand that not all hospices will do to your loved ones what they did to mine. I do understand that in many cases hospice is a blessing. I do understand that if a person is in pain then the morphine is a blessing. I also am not against assisted suicide, what I am against is forced assisted suicide, there is a difference. I am not against the administering of morphine in someone who is in pain, but giving it to someone who does not need it is wrong. Giving it to every single patient regardless of their illness or pain level does not make sense.

I do understand that not all hospices are bad. But I wanted to get the awareness and warning out that there are some of them that are. I gave a link in OP to the blog and several hospice workers join in the blog and many of them say yes we do these awful things, and others come on saying never would they do those practices. If you read that blog you will see.

Yes there are people who are very critical, and nothing can be done to save them, this is true. In that case you would have hopes that the kindest of care would be given to them. But to take someone who is not at that kind of stage and overdose them on morphine is what I am talking about here. Some people are so sick that they cannot enjoy anything because they are in desperate pain and their cognition is not good because the pain is overwhelming. I understand all of that. In that case giving them anything that could ease their pain would be the right thing to do. But if your loved one is asking for a cup of coffee clearly he wants to enjoy one more moment of being alive. My poor grandpa was begging for a cup of coffee. Also he had a living will that stated if he was so sick that he had to be on life support that he refused treatment even if he died. But that he did not refuse iv. That says something. That is saying that if he is not on life support that he will accept treatment. It says he will accept nutriment in that form. And my grandfather was able to eat and drink he was not on life support.

I am sorry to everyone who has lost loved ones. There is not anything more painful or tragic. I am truly sorry. I hope you know that what I have said here is just what I know about what happened to my loved ones and I am not saying that this happened to yours. But I do want people to be aware to look at what happened in their situation and make sure it was all what it seemed to be. In the cases where it wasn't awareness needs to be spread about the few bad hospice practitioners that are out there.

Once again I am truly sorry to everyone who has suffered such a terrible loss, so sorry. I am sorry for bringing up that hurt, but if these practices are going on in some places then it needs to stop.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,552x in 94,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I'm wondering whether there are different statutes, regulations and policies for different States. I did a quick search and it looks as though States do have authority to determine minimum statutes.

Without doing too much research I found a number of websites that speak to what the physician's role and authority are and what to expect from that State's hospice policies.

For the purpose of showing an example of the information I found I'm attaching the below link.
    Yes different states have different laws.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Trish (04-21-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Yes different states have different laws.
    It makes sense.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post

Thank you for the link, it was very informative. It does explain a lot.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,791x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I was not happy with the hospice my mother died at.
    Honestly @Peter1469 the at home hospice for my Mom was an epic failure, but the at home hospice for my Dad was actually okay... different company though...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-22-2018)

+ Reply to Thread