User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A startling new discovery could destroy all those global warming doomsday forecasts

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,401x in 94,883 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A startling new discovery could destroy all those global warming doomsday forecasts

A startling new discovery could destroy all those global warming doomsday forecasts

It seems as if there are vast stores of nitrogen in the ground that absorb CO2.

Scientists just discovered a massive, heretofore unknown, source of nitrogen. Why does this matter? Because it could dramatically change those dire global warming forecasts that everybody claims are based on "settled science."

The researchers, whose findings were published in the prestigious journal Science, say they've determined that the idea that the only source of nitrogen for plant life came from the air is wrong. There are vast storehouses in the planet's bedrock that plants also feed on.

This is potentially huge news, since what it means is that there is a vastly larger supply of nitrogen than previously believed.

University of California at Davis environmental scientist and co-author of the study, Ben Houlton, says that "This runs counter the centuries-long paradigm that has laid the foundation for the environmental sciences."

Pay close attention to the word "paradigm."

If Houlton's finding about these vast, previously unknown nitrogen stores holds true, then it would have an enormous impact on global warming predictions.

Climate scientists have long known that plants offset some of the effects of climate change by absorbing and storing CO2. But climate scientists assumed that the ability to plants to perform this function was limited because the availability of nitrogen in the atmosphere was limited.
    Read the rest at the link.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2018),Trumpster (05-11-2018)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

It seems as if there are vast stores of nitrogen in the ground that absorb CO2.

Read the rest at the link.
    Let's see, plants absorb and store CO2 and plants need nitrogen to grow. But I don't understand how they came up with the following statement: ".....the idea that the only source of nitrogen for plant life came from the air is wrong." I wasn't aware that anyone ever said that nitrogen only came from the air. Nitrogen in the soil comes from decaying plants and wildlife. Trees for example drop dead limbs and leaves. As the limbs and leaves decay, the soil becomes rich in nitrogen. In forests, for example, layer after layer of nitrogen rich soil builds up over a long period of time.

And, if I'm not mistaken, nitrogen in in the soil can get used up and that's why farmers have to fertilize regularly.

I'm not an expert on this subject, so maybe I'm missing something.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 05-11-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news.

I don't know that anyone claims climate science is "settled science". There is however a broad consensus that man has an impact on climate.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,358x in 27,930 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Let's see, plants absorb and store CO2 and plants need nitrogen to grow. But I don't understand how they came up with the following statement: ".....the idea that the only source of nitrogen for plant life came from the air is wrong." I wasn't aware that anyone ever said that nitrogen only came from the air. Nitrogen in the soil comes from decaying plants and wildlife. Trees for example drop dead limbs and leaves. As the limbs and leaves decay, the soil becomes rich in nitrogen. In forests, for example, layer after layer of nitrogen rich soil builds up over a long period of time.

And, if I'm not mistaken, nitrogen in in the soil can get used up and that's why farmers have to fertilize regularly.

I'm not an expert on this subject, so maybe I'm missing something.
    hmmm. Nitrogen-fixing bacteria...
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

+ Reply to Thread