User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Modern Life Is Making Us Sick

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,529x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why Modern Life Is Making Us Sick

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDHz_1W_bI)
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple changes to the average lifestyle could save us trillions of dollars on healthcare costs. But instead of trying to change bad behavior through education and culture, the political class insists on handing more control over to the government.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-23-2018)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education sounds good but who will do it if not government schools? And if it is government schools, they will be biased in what they teach because they have the food industry and agriculture to contend with. Fast food lobbyists, meat and dairy lobbyists would all want their products respected and protected.

Imagine a high school or grade school text book that recommends against hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, soda, etc.. There would be law suits against the schools.

The schools would end up having to say that there's no such thing as bad food as long as you practice moderation. So what's new about that? Everyone, including overweight people, are already saying, "Everything in moderation."
    Last edited by Trumpster; 04-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Education sounds good but who will do it if not government schools? And if it is government schools, they will be biased in what they teach because they have the food industry and agriculture to contend with. Fast food lobbyists, meat and dairy lobbyists would all want their products respected and protected.

Imagine a high school or grade school text book that recommends against hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, soda, etc.. There would be law suits against the schools.

The schools would end up having to say that there's no such thing as bad food as long as you practice moderation. So what's new about that? Everyone, including overweight people, are already saying, "Everything in moderation."

Your PCP and insurance company. Mine do.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get up from my desk for no reason and walk the office or warehouse just to take a break and get blood to my lower extremities. If you're paying attention you have seen very little drunk-posting from me in the evenings lately. Another benefit to my lifestyle and to tpF members. lol
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-24-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Your PCP and insurance company. Mine do.
    I'm with an HMO and they will send an occasional news letter with very simple, basic information but nothing substantive. As far as my PCP that I had for about 10 years, he knew about as much as the average uninformed person on the street. He gave me the wrong nutritional information a couple of times, once regarding prostate cancer prevention and once regarding healthy thyroid function. He knew a lot about body functions but almost nothing about the relationship between nutrition and health. So, over the years, I have learned not to rely on medical doctors for nutrition information. Doctors have medical degrees, they're not nutritionists or dietitians. They do know if a patient is overweight or underweight and they will advise him or her to gain or lose weight. And that's about the extent of it.

He was promoted to a management position and replaced with another doctor who I have yet to meet. I have always been in excellent health so I'm not really worried about what she knows or doesn't know about nutrition.

The point I would like to make is this: A person or patient could lose weight and not be any healthier; it all depends on how they go about it. There are many fad diets on the market that are designed to facilitate weight loss. The most popular fad diet seems to be the high protein diet. So the patient loses weight and some of his test results may improve but he unknowingly puts himself at risk for something else like cancer, dementia or any number of autoimmune diseases.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 04-26-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm with an HMO and they will send an occasional news letter with very simple, basic information but nothing substantive. As far as my PCP that I had for about 10 years, he knew about as much as the average uninformed person on the street. He gave me the wrong nutritional information a couple of times, once regarding prostate cancer prevention and once regarding healthy thyroid function. He knew a lot about body functions but almost nothing about the relationship between nutrition and health. So, over the years, I have learned not to rely on medical doctors for nutrition information. Doctors have medical degrees, they're not nutritionists or dietitians. They do know if a patient is overweight or underweight and they will advise him or her to gain or lose weight. And that's about the extent of it.

He was promoted to a management position and replaced with another doctor who I have yet to meet. I have always been in excellent health so I'm not really worried about what she knows or doesn't know about nutrition.

The point I would like to make is this: A person or patient could lose weight and not be any healthier; it all depends on how they go about it. There are many fad diets on the market that are designed to facilitate weight loss. The most popular fad diet seems to be the high protein diet. So the patient loses weight and some of his test results may improve but he unknowingly puts himself at risk for something else like cancer, dementia or any number of autoimmune diseases.
    Just started with a new PCP a few months ago. I'm seen not by just a doctor but a whole team of people including educations who give classes on all sorts of topics.Insurance sends informative articles once a week or so. That should just be part of their job. --I don't want advice from some central planning expert off in DC.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just started with a new PCP a few months ago. I'm seen not by just a doctor but a whole team of people including educations who give classes on all sorts of topics.Insurance sends informative articles once a week or so. That should just be part of their job. --I don't want advice from some central planning expert off in DC.
    The community where I live offers all kinds of free lectures on everything, including health. But it's all sponsored by industry, often indirectly, and is therefore biased. For example, they bring in a PhD in nutrition from U.S.F.
    and she promotes dairy as a good source of calcium because U.S.F. gets research grants from the dairy industry. (Dairy has a lot of calcium but it's not usable.) When I told her that dairy was associated with an aggressive form of prostate cancer, she said, "just eat some tomatoes because tomatoes contain lycopene." And others, like dietitians, from U.S.F. say that dairy is a food group. Really? Who made dairy a food group?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The community where I live offers all kinds of free lectures on everything, including health. But it's all sponsored by industry, often indirectly, and is therefore biased. For example, they bring in a PhD in nutrition from U.S.F.
    and she promotes dairy as a good source of calcium because U.S.F. gets research grants from the dairy industry. (Dairy has a lot of calcium but it's not usable.) When I told her that dairy was associated with an aggressive form of prostate cancer, she said, "just eat some tomatoes because tomatoes contain lycopene." And others, like dietitians, from U.S.F. say that dairy is a food group. Really? Who made dairy a food group?
    There are no experts, only knowledgable people who opine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Trumpster (04-27-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no experts, only knowledgable people who opine.
    Yes, and that's why I rely on large long-term population studies like the Okinawa Program, The China Study, and The Seventh Day Adventist Study. Anyone who takes the time to examine these studies should notice the following: Those populations that enjoy the best health and longevity are those that eat the least amount of animal protein and the least amount of processed foods.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpster For This Useful Post:

Chris (04-27-2018)

+ Reply to Thread