User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: The (Literal) War on Women

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    Like you, for example.
    And you got upset about making thing personal?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    First off, you can’t prove a negative, Chris.

Second, it’s on the person making the claim to prove the claim. The inability of literally anyone to provide one single post showing Polly expressing a hatred of men is as clear a sign as any that y’all have nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by silvereyes View Post
    That would be because she hasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Funny how logic just escapes some.
    Put your money where your mouth is and find her posts stating that she hates men.
    I was not rude to you at all....yet it didn't stop you from tossing one in. Ugh. :*(

OK, so you responded to Green and I responded to you and you responded to me still demonstrating no logic at all in your post.

Think about it, Green is insisting "it’s on the person making the claim to prove the claim." Assume that's true.

You respond with a claim. But you fail to abide by the rule of the person you replid to: It's on you to prove your claim.

That was illogical. You may be the most logical person in the world, I don't know, or care, what you posted was illogical. I'm not making remarks about you personally but your illogical post. I've made no claim, you have, so put your money where your mouth is.

If anyone was rude it was you after so many people have begged others to stop making things about Polly post about Polly.

====

Perhaps your post was illogical because the post you replied to was illogical.

As I already posted, it is simply a myth that you can't prove a negative. Saying tht is illogical because you can.

I accept "it’s on the person making the claim to prove the claim." Sure, as I just explained to you about your claim.

But the following is completely illogical: "The inability of literally anyone to provide one single post showing Polly expressing a hatred of men is as clear a sign as any that y’all have nothing." The fact that someone doesn't prove a claim is true does not prove that claim is false. All remarks like that do is question and demand but they amount to nothing at all. Like earlier, when I provided an argument in syllogistic form, and some questioned the validity of my first premise that radical feminists are misandrysts. Mere questioning the universailty of that premise does not prove it wrong, my not demonstrating its universality doesn't prove it wrong. Mere questioning and inventing rules of logic like that is what I refer to playing rhetorical games, other logic chopping. If you're going to challenge a statement why then you are yourself making a claim and we already accept that "it’s on the person making the claim to prove the claim." It's "as clear a sign as any that y’all have nothing."

====

Getting into the logic, silver?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Okay, so I see people (especially @Chris and @Ethereal, but I think it may also be useful knowledge for @Green Arrow and @silvereyes in particular) wanting perhaps a clearer definition of what radical feminism is about.

Let's start with this: radical feminism is not mainstream feminism. Probably just about every self-described feminist you have ever heard of before is a liberal. People are used to thinking of feminists as liberals. We're not all liberals though. A feminist radical is someone who opposes the existing institutions of society because they were created by and for men. Radfems (if you will) tend to view them as inherently patriarchal institutions, accordingly. Thus, in contrast to libfems (feminist liberals), radfems tend to be skeptical of political action within the current system, and instead tend to focus on trying to bring about cultural change that undermines patriarchy and associated structures. In other words, where liberals wish to break the glass ceiling, radicals with to build a new building. Much of our difference of mindframe from that of libfems is concentrated in Germaine Greer's famous statement: "I didn't fight to get women out from behind vacuum cleaners to get them onto the board of Hoover."

Radical feminists tend to be more rejecting of a lot of ideas and institutions that more mainstream feminists have simply sought to reform, like marriage, surrogacy, the sex industry, capitalism in general for that matter, religion, nation-states, and gender, to name a few examples that come to mind immediately. We are basically collectivists rather than individualists. We are more concerned with the overall interests of women as a class than we are with those of any one individual, in as far as the two things may conflict. There are a wide range of ideas that encompass our movement. Most of us would seek to realize actual equal treatment with men (where the liberal would prefer to but afford nominally equitable life opportunities). We also have some female separatists though who feel that men have internalized patriarchy (their superior social position) to such a great degree that men and sexism cannot be wholly separated.

Radical feminism has sometimes been known also by other names, such as women's liberation and second wave feminism. If we are truthful, our current demography is older overall, which probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're being actively censored and no-platformed by colleges and universities everywhere at present, which makes it rather difficult for our thought leaders to reach a new generation. Of course, from our perspective, that is the whole point.
    Thanks. It mirrors much of what I've posted from others, faminists and radical feminists, about radical feminists. It leave out some things like those conservative feminists who seek equality within existing custom, tradition, and culture, like Mary Tyler Moore who promited family values, and many others who are pro-life. In short, feminism stretches out from radfems on the far left to conservatives on the right. And it ignore a whole lot of criticism of radfems for their hatred of men-no, not an emotional hatred like you hate me, but an ideological hatred, a hatred of abstract things like patrilineal hierachy, which is understandable because radfems see that as supremacy, as oppressive.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,781
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,009x in 10,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I'm so glad I'm not a feminist.... seriously, I may be a woman, but, hearing some of them, makes me ashamed to be one, at times.

Seems like, all most of them want, is to stick it to men.

Yeah, I said it.....lol!
    If there is a war on women, it makes them automatic victims of that war.....that doesn't exist. It allows many to play the victim role that is so prevalent in our society today and in this forum(Safety, Silvereyes, Cigar, Donttread), etc.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,562
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,991x in 18,674 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    If there is a war on women, it makes them automatic victims of that war.....that doesn't exist. It allows many to play the victim role that is so prevalent in our society today and in this forum(Safety, Silvereyes, Cigar, Donttread), etc.
    I've known too many women who wanted it both ways.

Wanting to be equal to men, in all things, in all ways, even becoming angry if a man dare to hold a door for them, then, also playing the helpless female, who needs a big strong man to come to her rescue....when she needed/wanted something, she's more than willing, in that case, to use her gender to her advantage.

We had names for those women.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

Common (05-11-2018),stjames1_53 (05-11-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the 70's women could not get a car loan. My dad had to sign for my sister and she was a nurse making more than I was. I got a loan and she didn't.

Nothing special about the above. Women didn't have first class sitizenship then and there can't be any argument from anyone there at the time.

It's not true today in any way.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-11-2018)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,562
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,991x in 18,674 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    During the 70's women could not get a car loan. My dad had to sign for my sister and she was a nurse making more than I was. I got a loan and she didn't.

Nothing special about the above. Women didn't have first class sitizenship then and there can't be any argument from anyone there at the time.

It's not true today in any way.
    My mom was a divorced woman with 4 kids in the early 70's....she bought a brand new car, without a cosigner.

Maybe, some people are confusing bad/no credit history, for discrimination against women?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (05-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    I've known too many women who wanted it both ways.

Wanting to be equal to men, in all things, in all ways, even becoming angry if a man dare to hold a door for them, then, also playing the helpless female, who needs a big strong man to come to her rescue....when she needed/wanted something, she's more than willing, in that case, to use her gender to her advantage.

We had names for those women.
    You raise a point I've often question, the desire to be equal to men. Why would women want to be the same? Wouldn't the liberty to be yourselves be a better goal of feminism? It seems to me to be a difference between more conservative feminists and more liberal ones.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can add just one more comment, @KathyS pointed out that conditions for American women are generally better today than 50 years ago. Fair enough! But how about compared to 20 years ago?

Further, what of the world outside the United States? Would you say that conditions for women have generally improved over the last 50 years in say the Middle East and North Africa, or generally gotten worse? (A cursory photographic comparison of how the female residents of Kabul tended to dress in 1968 versus in 2018 ought to suffice to answer that question for you.) Or how about in the Far East? Would say that women in India, China, or Russia today are treated as equitably with their male counterparts as they were during the Cold War? I wouldn't.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 05-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (05-11-2018)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris wrote:
    You raise a point I've often question, the desire to be equal to men. Why would women want to be the same?
    Not all radical feminists are equality feminists in the sense of aspiring to similarity to the way men currently are and are treated. I quoted Germaine Greer shortly ago here on this thread. She considers herself to be a "liberation feminist, not an equality feminist". It is important to her, however, that WOMEN define the ways in which we are distinct from men, not just have male gods, male states, and male cultures impose a proper social role upon us.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-11-2018),Green Arrow (05-11-2018)

+ Reply to Thread