Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Lots of people seem to hate Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, well, lots of liberals. Because she's a Trump appointee? Because she's rich? All sorts of wild accusations, it seems. I could understand why liberals disagree with her advocacy of school choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU9JJIgTng8
    I don't hate her; I just think she doesn't have a clue of what she's doing or supposed to be doing.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    I don't hate her; I just think she doesn't have a clue of what she's doing or supposed to be doing.
    She's an avowed advocate of school choice, has been for a long time.

I think in the video is a gravy of skyrocketing cost of education and flatlined scores in reading, math and science. Seems no one in public education knows what they're doing other than to spend our tax dollars.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's an avowed advocate of school choice, has been for a long time.

I think in the video is a gravy of skyrocketing cost of education and flatlined scores in reading, math and science. Seems no one in public education knows what they're doing other than to spend our tax dollars.
    I know she's big on school choice but it was other mistakes she's made that cemented my position on her serving as Education Secretary. Since off the top of my head I couldn't remember the specifics I pulled up some interesting facts on things she's bungled since becoming Education Secretary.

https://www.eschoolnews.com/2017/03/...gest-blunders/

To some it may seem that this is nit picking but as a tax payer I want whoever is going to be in the top spot to at least have some idea on the laws and basic knowledge of education. Ms. Devos does not give me that impression.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I know she's big on school choice but it was other mistakes she's made that cemented my position on her serving as Education Secretary. Since off the top of my head I couldn't remember the specifics I pulled up some interesting facts on things she's bungled since becoming Education Secretary.

https://www.eschoolnews.com/2017/03/...gest-blunders/

To some it may seem that this is nit picking but as a tax payer I want whoever is going to be in the top spot to at least have some idea on the laws and basic knowledge of education. Ms. Devos does not give me that impression.
    To be honest I know little about her, saw the video, and posted it hoping someone would come up with some substantial criticism of her, as you have. So thanks.

Nonetheless, each point made at your link to an eSchool critism could be disputed. Take the first:

1. “Confusion” over IDEA
    DeVos raised red flags with many educators, advocacy groups, and parents of special-needs children when she displayed confusion over the federal IDEA law, which requires public schools to provide reasonable accommodations for students with special needs. She said the matter should be left to the states and seemed unaware of the federal requirement even when Virginia’s Sen. Tim Kaine persisted with questioning during her confirmation hearing. She also would not directly answer questions pertaining to whether all schools, including public charters and private schools, should adhere to IDEA requirements. When questioning returned to IDEA later in the hearing, DeVos told Sen. Maggie Hassan (N.H.) that she “may have confused” IDEA and that she would be mindful of special-needs students’ needs if confirmed as education secretary.
    Seems to me she initially wasn't disputing what the law is but whether it should be a federal law or handled by the states. And she admits to some confusion.

In the end, she was confirmed.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to get past the stupidy of a failing comedian, but DeVos answered Stahl's question precisely. What's your beef with her?
    When did DeVos become a comedian? You are correct, she did fail as the head of the dept. of education.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I know little about her, saw the video, and posted it hoping someone would come up with some substantial criticism of her, as you have. So thanks.

Nonetheless, each point made at your link to an eSchool critism could be disputed. Take the first:

Seems to me she initially wasn't disputing what the law is but whether it should be a federal law or handled by the states. And she admits to some confusion.

In the end, she was confirmed.
    I suppose you could make that argument; as you mentioned, she was confirmed so regardless of whether we like her or not, she is the Secretary of Education so it is best to help her get the job done within reason.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I suppose you could make that argument; as you mentioned, she was confirmed so regardless of whether we like her or not, she is the Secretary of Education so it is best to help her get the job done within reason.
    I don't know, maybe she's no good. But if it's not the federal government's job to fix education, what's left is he advocating what she thinks will help. What's been being done is failing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (05-09-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toward the end of the video, it's pointed out that fixing public schools is not her job, not the federal government's job. All she can do is encourage states and local governments to try choice.
    The Dept of Education should be shut down. Education is not a federal concern.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    The Dept of Education should be shut down. Education is not a federal concern.
    I'd agree with that. It would be a first step toward improving education.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,984x in 55,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Certainly nothing in this interview could give you that impression.

My advice to you is to think for yourself and resist those who tell you what you are supposed to think.

You will feel much more accomplished if you do some legitamate research and come to your own conclusions.

+ Reply to Thread